RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charter arms bulldog????

Boolit Master

Charter arms bulldog????

I know nothing about charter arms but this .44 spl is calling to me.
    Anyone have any opinions on the quality of these?
    Thanks.......................Buck
    link....
    http://www.charterfirearms.com/commu...schematic.html
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

I have carried mine with my CCW for more than 15 years. Recently put on Crimson Trace laser sight. Works great. Shoot it often at the range. It's holding up and is very accurate at the distances for which it was intended.

Smile

I've got no complaints about the one I've had since 1977 or so.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    I used to carry a custom .44 Bulldog.

The Barrel was cut back to be even with the ejector rod, and I fitted the small Charter Arms "Undercover" grips to further reduce the size. The whole package was as easy to conceal as a Smith Model 36.

I used a 240 grain lead handload that clocked at about 800 FPS.

It was a reliable, faithful companion; .....and given a "ranging shot" or two, I could still connect with a beer can at 75 yards! (….But, of course, every time I shot it, the recoil would make my middle finger swell up! LOL)

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Master
    I have owned several of them and have had no mechanical problems. Recoil can be a problem so go light with the powder. I load a 215 grain SWC to about 700fps. This may sound a bit puny but is much more effective than any 38 special snubbie. I no longer carry a Bulldog concealed so traded it for a "Target Bulldog" which is my usual trail gun now. I like the longer barrel and adjustable sights. I normally carry loaded with two rounds of snakeshot backed with three of the swc loads. Those snake loads are very effective and have removed the kinks from many rattlers gittalong. Neil

Moderator Emeritus

Mine is an older 3" model. I shoot 25 -50 rounds through it every spring then pack it occasionally. I shoot 240 gr cast @750 fps and do not consider it comfortable to shoot. I want to be able to stick it in a bears ear or up his nose when or before he begins to chew on me. I would not buy one for a target pistol nor as my only revolver. It fills a need in my gun safe and packs it well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have had one for about twenty years.
    The 240gr bullets shoot high. The 180gr bullets shoot low. The 200gr bullets hit point of aim.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the older models, carried it for a while years ago but it has retired to my safe. Lots of power in a nice light weight package is what I liked about it.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

To me, they are kind of cobby. I would say save your money.

In Remembrance

point of interest/aim

I`m glad nvbirdman has the same P.O.A. with his bulldog as I also do. I finally settled on a lyman #429215 that weighs on or about 218 gr. then put 6.5 gr. of unique behind it. In mine it`s very accurate out to 50 ft., as far as my old eyes can can use those sights, and deadly. I use the same load with the Lee 208 gr. .44 wadcutter seated flush and crimped. Very interesting what it will do to 4" X 4" posts when struck. Robert

In Remebrance

I have an older BD that I have carried for several years. I've had no mechanical problems and my particular example is far more accurate than I ever expected. I can hold 2" at 20-25 yards. It's one of the few guns I have that I can see the sights of easily. I've used a variety of loads from round balls and commercial wadcutters to the Lyman 429421 backed by healthy doses of Unique. While "The Skeeter Load" is far more than I want to use on a regular basis in such a light gun, I found no mechanical issues and really didn't think the recoil was all that bad. No matter what I use the gun twists in my hand as I refuse to put a big set of grips on a gun I stick in a coat pocket or shove behind my belt for concealed carry. I still have the factory wood on mine and will until I find some smooth, non-rubber grips that suit me.

Though many of the Charter products appear a bit chintzy, I have complete faith in my BD. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one in good shape if that's the kind of peestol you want to carry.

Boolit Master
    I've got a target Bulldog that I bought in the late 70's! put a set pf Pachmyrs on it to tame recoil and it shoots great!

For years I loaded Lymans 429348 ( full wadcutter 180 gr) for this gun and tried several powders, Unique , bullseye, Green dot, 452 all worked very well. Velocity was in the 850 to 950 range and I was quite happy with that.

Other guns have come and gone since that purchase but the Bulldog stays in the safe. I will be shooting it more in the next year because I got both a 429421 HP and the 240 gr full wadcutter from Blammer's GB.

Sold the 429348 to a fella recently of the swap and sell section, hope he's as happy with it as I was!

So I figure this answers your question?

Boolit Grand Master

I can't speak for Charter because I don't own one, at least not yet. But I got a Rossi which looks very similar and like it allot especially for the price. Liked it so much I picked up a 357 too. They both shoot good for snubbies. A little heavy but not too bad and it cuts down on the recoil.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy

Charter Arms Bulldog ??????

I've owned two, and shot about four individual guns of that model. I've not had nor heard of many mechanical issues with them. A 240 gr. factory load will rock the middle finger of your gun hand. I would advise loading a 215 gr.bullet like # 429215 to about 715 f.p.s., as it will be more comfortable to shoot. Inasmuch as most serious social engagements happen at a range of 7 yards or less, it matters not if you shoot a bit high or low, as long as you are on target. A 215 gr. .44 slug at 715 f.p.s. will be more potent than any standard .38 Spl. loading. You can also cut the velocity a bit on the #429421 250 gr. bullet and it will work OK too.

Boolit Master

I wanted one until I actually examined one...

I picked up a S & W model 624, and though that gun was cheezy and flimsy until I examined the Bulldog. It seemed much smaller, lighter, and very poorly made compared to the Smith.
    Do yourself a favor: Save up for a Model 24 or a 624. It's ten times the gun that the Charter Arms is. I wouldn't trade mine for anything !
    As an aside, my wife's ex husband's college roommate was none other than David Berkowitz...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Moderator Emeritus

Tom I sold a 6 1/2" 24 because the Redhawk 44 out shot it by 1/2 @ 50 yards. Different applications and different uses. A CA Bulldog is meant to pack a lot A 24 to shoot a lot.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by buck1 View Post
    I know nothing about charter arms but this .44 spl is calling to me.
    Anyone have any opinions on the quality of these?
    Thanks.......................Buck
    link....
    http://www.charterfirearms.com/commu...schematic.html
    Fit and finish is poor when compared with a S&W. Much stronger than one would think. My current carry load is 13.2 gr. of 2400 under a 250 gr. Keith. This is a compromise load. The heaviest load mine has seen is a box of 50 loaded with 9.7gr. of Unique under the 250gr. Keith (shot to point of aim and did no harm, but I don't advise it). My current fun load is 7.5gr. of Bullseye under a 160gr. 44Slim SWC. Creates a huge fireball and shock wave as it goes supersonic. A lot of fun and very little recoil, really shakes things up at the range.

The new models coming out are the .40, the 9mm and the .45acp. All are rated for +p loads. Interesting new system for handling the rimless cartridges too. It will be interesting to see how well they work.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    I picked up a S & W model 624, and though that gun was cheezy and flimsy until I examined the Bulldog. It seemed much smaller, lighter, and very poorly made compared to the Smith.
    Do yourself a favor: Save up for a Model 24 or a 624. It's ten times the gun that the Charter Arms is. I wouldn't trade mine for anything !
    As an aside, my wife's ex husband's college roommate was none other than David Berkowitz...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom
    I have a Model 24-3, a far nicer gun than the stainless 624's to my way of thinking. While the S+W is "nicer" they were also made with 2 different uses in mind. The S+W is a gun you take immense pride in owning, you baby it and polish it and freak out if a blemish appears. It's a connoisseurs gun. The Charter is a much less expensive gun meant to be carried and used. If it gets a blemish you fix it abd don't worry, if it falls in the dirt and mud when you're fixing fence, too bad, wash it off in the crick and away ya go. Many folks will never be able to afford the Smith, many more can afford the Charter now. It's a working mans gun.

Boolit Master

OK on the Ruger .44 mag...

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Tom I sold a 6 1/2" 24 because the Redhawk 44 out shot it by 1/2 @ 50 yards. Different applications and different uses. A CA Bulldog is meant to pack a lot A 24 to shoot a lot.
    Agreed. A Ruger is a shooting gun, while the CA is one you hope you don't ever have to use.
    I bought the Smith 624 because Ruger doesn't make a Redhawk in .44 SPL.
    I could have easily bought the Redhawk or 629 in .44 Mag, but I would rather shoot a gun in the caliber it was meant for.
    This is the same reason why I fire .38's out of my Model 10 instead of the Security Six .357...

I would love to see Ruger do a run of 4" .44 SPL Redhawks in Stainless. I'd find the money somewhere to pick one up!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

BTW: I carry the 4" Redhawk in .45 LC... That's my every day gun, while the 7-1/2" Redhawk .45 LC is my woods gun. -T

Boolit Master

I had a Rossi 720 (44 Spl) at one time. It was all stainless steel and a solid, good shooter. A bit big and heavy for concealed carry. The Buldog, if alloy construction, would be better for that, but they can't take as much continous shooting as the non-alloy types, that would be required for effective defense weapon. Maybe get two? I shot the 429421 in my Rossi, but when I shfted everything to 45 Colt, I got rid of it.
    USMC 1980-1985