RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Preparing new brass mold for casting

Boolit Buddy

Preparing new brass mold for casting

I know this has been discussed before but I can't locate the posts related to preping a new mold for casting.

Have a new MP 4 cavity brass hollow point mold and would appreciate the proper prep sequence before casting bullets.

Thanks

Degrease with alcohol or some other polar solvent some people use carburetor cleaner. Heat the mould up and start casting, when done I use a piece of paraffin wax on the sprue cutter to prevent rusting. The wax will burn off when you heat the mould up again, causes no issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Degrease with alcohol or some other polar solvent some people use carburetor cleaner. Heat the mould up and start casting, when done I use a piece of paraffin wax on the sprue cutter to prevent rusting. The wax will burn off when you heat the mould up again, causes no issues.
    Thanks..I thought there was a "smoke" procedure..maybe just for aluminum molds?

I have several mp brass molds. Here is my procedure. First thing is to insert the pins that you will be using. Once the mold is put together, I clean everything with dawn and hot water. Next I heat cycle the mold three or four times. To do this, I put the mold in my toaster oven on 400 degrees for about a half hour. I then remove it and let it cool to the touch. Repeat. Before the last heat cycle, I scrub it again. This usually lets me produce good bullets in a very short time.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks..thought I saw the instructions somewhere.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I have several mp brass molds. Here is my procedure. First thing is to insert the pins that you will be using. Once the mold is put together, I clean everything with dawn and hot water. Next I heat cycle the mold three or four times. To do this, I put the mold in my toaster oven on 400 degrees for about a half hour. I then remove it and let it cool to the touch. Repeat. Before the last heat cycle, I scrub it again. This usually lets me produce good bullets in a very short time.
    I do the same as Wheelguns explains.
    What this does, it start the patina process (oxidation). The patina layer helps the mold release the boolits and inhibits tinning.
    Another thing I would do with a new HP mold, is to polish the HP pins before the heat cycles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001