RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: BE-86 for .44 Special

BE-86 for .44 Special

I just took advantage of the opportunity to pay too much for some Bullseye, BE-86, and 2400 from Powder Valley. At least they have it in stock. I know what to do with the Bullseye and 2400, but I would have rather have gotten some Unique. I still have a good amount of Unique, but I want to go easy on it until I know I can get more.

My biggest use for Unique currently is Skeeter loads for .44 Special and real .38 Special +P loads.

Looking at the burn rate chart, it seems that .44 Special Skeeter loads could be duplicated with BE-86. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Boolit Master

No experience, but I have thoughts. The Alliant Powder website shows a load of 6.7 grs of BE-86 with a 240 Lead RNFP: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...2&bulletid=446

The Alliant site also has a list for loads with the 250 gr cast Keith, but without a BE-86 load: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...32&bulletid=47

Looking at the Alliant load for 44 MAGNUM, with the 240 lead RNFP, a lot more BE-86 is used.

In my guns, I would be comfortable starting with 6.7 grs of BE-86 and a 250 Keith and slowing creeping upwards. I wouldn't load a charge exceeding 8.0 grains until I had tested my experimental loads.
    That's what I'd do, your mileage may vary, be safe, etc.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    I used BE-86 with data for Unique, and desired results are usually within 0.2 gr. Like Unique, BE-86 usually gives best results when pushed hard.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I like BE-86 in 45 ACP +P loads with 200 or 230 grain cast bullets that run very nicely in a UZI I don't use these rounds in my other 45 pistols .

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    No experience, but I have thoughts. The Alliant Powder website shows a load of 6.7 grs of BE-86 with a 240 Lead RNFP: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...2&bulletid=446

The Alliant site also has a list for loads with the 250 gr cast Keith, but without a BE-86 load: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...32&bulletid=47

Looking at the Alliant load for 44 MAGNUM, with the 240 lead RNFP, a lot more BE-86 is used.

In my guns, I would be comfortable starting with 6.7 grs of BE-86 and a 250 Keith and slowing creeping upwards. I wouldn't load a charge exceeding 8.0 grains until I had tested my experimental loads.
    That's what I'd do, your mileage may vary, be safe, etc.
    This is more or less my plan. I've never chronographed my Skeeter loads, but will do that soon and then ease up on the BE-86 until I get to the same velocity. I expect this should be safe since BE-86 is slower than Unique. I'm not really looking to go faster than 7.5 gr of Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I used BE-86 with data for Unique, and desired results are usually within 0.2 gr. Like Unique, BE-86 usually gives best results when pushed hard.
    I've seen a little bit of conflicting info, but the majority of it seems to match your observation here.

Vendor Sponsor

Any idea what the pressure is for a 7.5grn Unique load pushing a 240 or 250 grn SWC?

I have 3" barreled 44 Specials and one 4-5/8 SAA. I have not ever tried this much Unique but can imagine it is a handful.
    My RCBS mold for the "K" casts heavy at 265 to 270 depending on alloy.
    I may have to try it in my Ruger SBH first.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Any idea what the pressure is for a 7.5grn Unique load pushing a 240 or 250 grn SWC?

I have 3" barreled 44 Specials and one 4-5/8 SAA. I have not ever tried this much Unique but can imagine it is a handful.
    My RCBS mold for the "K" casts heavy at 265 to 270 depending on alloy.
    I may have to try it in my Ruger SBH first.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4910451

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten all about this thread.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Thanks for the link. I had forgotten all about this thread.
    You're welcome!

I have fired several different loads of 7.5 gr Unique underneath various bullets weighing around 240 to 250 gr in my 5.5" flat top and they all feel mild.

Most go through my 5.5" Ruger flat top.
    Last edited by TXTad; 10-29-2023 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    In a 45 colt 7.3 grains of Unique with a 250 grain cast bullet with a 4 3/4 barrel chronograph at 639 and 609 FPS .
    The same load with a 7 1/2 barrel chronograph at 718 and 734 FPS.