MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot glue for overshot cards for non fold crimp shells?

Boolit Master

Hot glue for overshot cards for non fold crimp shells?

A little background. I've been reloading metallic cartridges for decades but a couple years ago now I got into shotshell reloading. I do 12, 20, 16 and .410..should do 28..but don't have any gear for it yet. I cast my own slugs, 00, 0 and #4 buck, and drip #6 and #7.5 shot.

I made up a bunch last year..loaded a few cases of each that I had been using..and now I'm finally low again.. During this time..ive made plenty of trips to the range and picked up possibly thousands of hulls. I keep rem sts top gun and aa hulls sorted. And the rest I just sort into 3 groups.. Taper or not, and if any have cardboard base wad. ( and of course sub sorting by size... ).

I probably have 1000 generic hulls that I can fire and forget. Some ranges let you pick up..some don't.. I use those unsorted ones at the no pickup range.

In any case.. I have plenty of hulls that just don't crimp well. I'm using Lee load-all II's and hand tools for the .410.

Some federal in 20g make ugly as sin fold crimps..no matter which starter you use..and there are other hulls I plan on cutting down as well..in 12 and 20. I do roll crimp some..but the roll crimp tool doesn't play nice with plastic overshot discs..and I tend to prefer those to overshot cards. Also for some of the slugs I use, at least one has a profile that the roll crimp rotary tool won't work with..cant roll the edge close enough to the slug to keep it from having some play...nose is longer on that slug..and the rotary tool doesn't have any relief for it..etc.

Been reading up on elmers glue and hot glue for holding slugs in or holding overshot cards in. Tried elmers..didnt like it. Have heard very little negatives on the hot glue.

Wanted yall's opinion. Any trouble using hot glue to retain slugs or overshot cards..or plugging holes in imperfect fold crimps that let the really fine shot out sometimes?
    Last edited by Soundguy; 10-27-2023 at 02:29 PM.

opinion only + not experienced based - i would use standard grade hot glue only - the super holding grades some have almost permanent adhesion + would probably raise pressures -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I've used hot glue on roll crimps with overshot wads, but not slugs. Something that seems to work just as well and doesn't require heat is clear nail polish.

My roll crimped shells don't provide as much resistance as a fold crimp so slower powders sometimes leave more unburned powder, especially with card wads rather than conventional plastic-piston types. The nail polish sticks enough to cause additional delay and helps with ignition.

Boolit Master

So..sounds possible with regular strength glue..and just don't get crazy with it.

+1 on regular old hot glue for overshot cards.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I have been using clear fingernail polish for securing/sealing the overshot cards. Also have used colored variety for designating shot size in the cartridge. The method has held up well in field use.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

Looking positive.

Boolit Buddy
    Waterglass anyone?

Boolit Master

I've used it on concrete...very messy...

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Sodium silicate works, but as has been mentioned can be messy. My experience indicates ha fairly heavy coat of fingernail polish works as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Waterglass anyone?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    I use silicone gasket sealer.

Boolit Master

Interesting

But one thing to consider is pressure
    I reload steel shot
    Some of the loads , as the manual lists them
    Are real close to Max pressure
    As a water proof , I added a small amount of glue to the crimp

Worked great
    But when I hunted Canada Geese when it was about 0 degrees over night
    I left a box of shells in the blind to use the next morning
    I then found I got signs of high pressure the next morning shooting those shells

Someone I know has a pressure test set up and tested my loads
    The glue caused a 2K pressure increase when the shells were 5 degrees

So just be careful of pressure increases if loading hot loads

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I have found,,, Round Nose Slugs like Lee Slugs, Round Balls and even Lyman Slugs need to be Fold Crimped. The slug pushes the crimp open from the center out evenly which enhances accuracy.

Slugs with a Step on the outer edge (like Brenneke's) need to be Roll Crimped. They have a flat place for the Rolled portion of the hull to land on.

A Roll Crimp really needs a flat place to land on, that way as the crimp unwinds during firing it does so evenly which enhances accuracy with Slugs. A Roll Crimp over a Round Nose Slug tends to get pinched between the hull and the slug and un rolls unevenly. Degrading accuracy

Never had any problem Roll Crimping over Plastic Over Shot Cards as long as your payload isn't too high in the hull before it is crimped. if it is too high in the hull the tool's center section will rub on the plastic card.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2280.jpg   IMG_2247 (1).jpg   100464871.JPG   IMG_2281.jpg   100464896.JPG  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-31-2023 at 01:19 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

You should be able to correctly crimp your loads and not use any glue, maybe some nail polish as weather protection if needed. Sounds like you need to find a shorter wad to lower the shot column.

When I occasionally have shootable reloads that still leave a small hole in the center of the crimp, I have routinely used hot glue to close the hole, with perfectly satisfactory results.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I've been using wood glue and the proper card wad. I like it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I just punch 5/8 inch circles out of 100 pack primer sleeves to go over my #9 shot in case I have a hole in the center.

If you have a hole in the middle of your crimp it means your "Stack Height" is just a bit too high. The crimp will close properly if you lower your stack height just a little. IE less shot or compress the wad a little more.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    You should be able to correctly crimp your loads and not use any glue, maybe some nail polish as weather protection if needed. Sounds like you need to find a shorter wad to lower the shot column.
    Negative... It has to do with the nose of a slug and the roll crimp tool not being hollow.. The roll crimp tool hits the face of the slip before the edge is rolled enough to keep the slug from moving some...

Boolit Bub
    BPI makes Tyvek over shot wads that are very thin and similar to the house wrap used in construction. These seal all the good stuff under the crimp with no glue or wax or other stuff that can raise chamber pressure. These solve your problems.

KB

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast