Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Wasn't a sharps but

Wasn't a sharps but

Bored on the boat not much going on so decided to make a meme or two. Remembered a funny little instance I had the the range the other week when I was home. Was a really quick deal ma ye 2min out the day so hand really thought on it much till now.
    Went to do a quick lil test of some cast HP rounds for my mosin at the range 15min from my place . Well get there and there another person there, older fella who was packing up I walk up and grab a bench. The same old range talk commences , and I tell him I'm testing some cast bullet hand loads I made up for my Mosin Nagant. Fella lit up a bit and said he was pretty happy to see someone my age loading cast bullets and that he used to load and what not years back . Asked to see them when I mentioned they were also hollow points. Well when I opened my ammo box and her saw they where all powder coated Carolina Blue.... weeellllll he wasn't particularly , happy about it proceeded to pack up and leave shaking his head the whole time , con only imagine what he'd think about the traffic purple ones I made for my AR or the hot pink ones imm gonna make for my girls .270 any way made a good little inspiration for a meme.....and really makes me wanna get back looking into getting a repro sharps or rolling block

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Cool.
    He might have gotten the same impression I got the first time I saw powder coated boolits.
    Without knowing any better, I thought they were solid plastic.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Probably someone in a cave once mutterd about how the bow is a passing fad and real men hunt with spears.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Now that meme is funny.

But it does point to how often old timers lament the passing of their beloved whatever in favor of newer or more modern stuff.
    BTW; I'm a bit guilty of that at times myself!

Boolit Master
    I wouln't worry about it a buddy of mine who I use to shoot the ram bash with before he moved to Georga use to powder coat his red and green for the holidays. Those .45-70 rounds of his reminded me of some old brass lipstick tubes with the red lipstick sticking out 3/4".

I'm an Old Fart and I love the Meme.
    Guess I'm just weird or something.

Boolit Buddy

LOL! Too true!! However, I'm as guilty of doing the same thing as anyone else.

Boolit Master

Pink

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pink.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	319351

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Probably someone in a cave once mutterd about how the bow is a passing fad and real men hunt with spears.
    The guys who hunted with clubs and handy rocks felt the same way about spears.
    They were right, hunting with spears is not common today.

The last guy who hunted with a spear in Alberta and made a video probably got sport spear hunting prohibited here.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    The guys who hunted with clubs and handy rocks felt the same way about spears.
    They were right, hunting with spears is not common today.

The last guy who hunted with a spear in Alberta and made a video probably got sport spear hunting prohibited here.
    High capacity assault spear with no legitimate sporting purpose.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    High capacity assault spear with no legitimate sporting purpose.
    Said the brutal despotic leader of the tribe who was a bully and had the affections of all the ladies because of his power.

Boolit Master

When I work with one club member at the range, a older lifetime shooter and firearms trainer he seems to be down on any cast bullets at all . I mentioned powder coating and stopped, his look was like you have above. While picking up lead off the same club's pistol range I was surprised how many coated bullets I found I also found a number of what seemed to be pure tin bullets in 38 caliber . First time I saw pure tin bullets was about 1976 a guy at a public range was using them in a M-1 Garand . They shot okay from his gun I fired a group of three from my Model 700 Rem. and group was about two inches at 100 yards .

Like others I still hear people saying those fancy cap guns will never replace the flintlock as you can get a new stone from any crick!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Wolfdog,
    I definitely qualify as an old guy, and that meme is funny!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Sapp View Post
    Wolfdog,
    I definitely qualify as an old guy, and that meme is funny!
    The first time I saw powder coated cast bullets, I thought it was like painting nails for women, pretty but maybe not so useful.
    After reading up on powder coating I invested $10 in powder for coating, and $3 for a thrift store toaster over just to see if the claims were true.
    Now I have over 10 years experience using powder coated bullets. The process is a pain in the posterior for small bullets under 30 caliber, but the benefits - no grease on the bullet, slightly faster velocities, zero leading, and smaller groups make powder coating worth the extra effort.
    The negative is that I have to seal the metal in the bore with a light layer of oil to prevent rust, Cast bullets would lubricate the bore, powder coated seem to leave a bore devoid of oil.
    That being said my 22 hornet, my 222 Mohawk , my 30-30 rifles, my 308, 30/06 and every other caliber I shoot love powder coated bullets.
    And I like that my fingers and cases do not get greasy loading these bullets into cases.

I learned to embrace technology in 1984 when I got a computer to do billing and accounts. At first I hated the device, and distrusted and disliked computers in general. Then I discovered it came with a mortgage amortization program as part of the demo software. That $5000 investment in a computer saved me over $300,000 in mortgage payments.
    I then discovered i could write my own ballistics software in the Basic computer language that was in the package.
    This was crucial for cast bullets with unknown ballistic coefficients.

Bottom line I learned to accept and value changes in technology like percussion caps, brass cartridges, smokeless powder and powder coating for cast bullets.
    In a concession to tradition I use a lead coloured powder coat so my friends don't find out I use powder coat.... and give me funny looks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Bottom line I learned to accept and value changes in technology like percussion caps, brass cartridges, smokeless powder and powder coating for cast bullets. In a concession to tradition I use a lead coloured powder coat so my friends don't find out I use powder coat.... and give me funny looks
    You sneaky person!
    What color?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    You sneaky person!
    What color?
    Any colour that resembles silver gray lead,
    So long as I keep the bullets clean I have no problems coating and baking and getting a good finish with every brand of powder coat I have tried. Even the cheap discount tool store (Princess Auto) powder coat.
    I have purple bullets as well because my lady friend likes purple and I will clean pennies, drill them for a link, powder coat and she makes jewelry out of them.