Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 1911 Sight

1911 Sight

Hello all. I have a Kimber full sized 1911 in 9 mm. I’m accepting the fact now that my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be and it’s time to upgrade the sight. Something that is battery powered and is easy to acquire the dot. Can y’all suggest an adjustable sight I can have mounted and any pros or cons associated?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Until ya find one you like--- I've found painting the front sight yellow, and the rear sight white did me a world of good.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

On my Springfield I replaced to stock front with one from Dawson Precision. Really like their sights. Fibre optic and available in different heights and width, I like a little more light around the front and have green on most of my guns. GW

I just checked Trijicon and almost fell over when I saw their price. This might be a Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, Ground Hog day present.

Millet sights are good.

DG

Super Moderator

I have Burris Fastfire 3 red dot sights mounted on several handguns. They are lightweight and work really well. You might give them a look.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/red-dots/fastfire-3

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I just checked Trijicon and almost fell over when I saw their price. This might be a Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, Ground Hog day present.
    Since you need it---- Order it anyway.
    I've found it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Note that the each of the red dots take a specific mount for the 1911s both with and without machining. Novak makes mounts as do others. The Vortex Venom is highly rated as a 1911 red dot sight. The Trijicon is about one rung better on the ladder, but much higher in price.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Well, I looked at some of the battery powered sights. I’m not impressed. The glare from the overhead lights impeded my sight picture. Looks like I need an adjustable fiber optic sight.

Any recommendations?

Boolit Master
    I use a U notch rear sight with a fiber optic rod front sight on the 1911 that I compete with. I also have bifocals with the front sight distance in the upper part of the dominate eye. Works well for me

Boolit Bub
    I painted my front sites on most of my shooter guns since my eyes aren't that great at 74 either, I have a couple of Springfield arms with fiber optic front sites which work well for my purposes. The painting is good but paint it red and you'll lose it with red bulls eyes. So now I use mostly green. I know a few people who've gone to red dots which is my very last resort. Two of my 1911's have a fiber optic and work for now. My days of longer shooting are over and now I mostly shoot 5-10 yards since the eyes really screw me past that. I also find even with the fiber optics after maybe a hundred rounds or so it gets harder to see the target properly

Boolit Buddy
    I'm fond of fiber optic red front and green rear dots. As an alternative, get some fishing lure paint that phosphoresces (glows in the dark), again in a fluorescent red front and fluorescent green for rear. Paint the front red (with a dot or complete ramp to your preference) and a couple of green dots at the rear. Really helps to pick up the sights...

Boolit Grand Master

Anything electric will fail when you need it most! Learned the hard way over 50 years of packing iron for real. I use a fire sight on my 1911 and can qualify with all head shots. For combat distance day out to 25 yards, you need to see the front sight and put it on the middle of s fuzzy target. A red dot sight had a real learning curve and will take you up to 1000 reps to get any speed. Until then while you are hunting for the dot some old fashioned gent with and old fashioned gun will be filling you with holes. The red dot really shines at 25 to 50 yards, well beyond pistol combat range. Dots on the rear sight are not necessary as you look through the rear sight not at it.

Williams, HiViz, TruGlo pending what is considered astronomical in price these run $45ish to $90ish pending set up. My eyes are old as well I find the fiber optic fronts a god send

Boolit Master
    XS makes a Big Dot that old eyes can see. Without a battery. And you can get tritium. It gets your attention quickly.