Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: New additions--again

New additions--again

Went to my LGS and low and behold there was a SIG P365 TacPac calling my name. I bit the bullet and bought it. On the way home, there JUST happened to be a gunshow along the way, After browsing and seeing some old friends, I stumbled across a S&W 25-2 6 1/2" in excellent condition on a friends table. He made me a "put up or shut up" price and I put up. $850! What's a dedicated gun junkie to do?? I carried it home and pin gauged the cylinders and they are .454 so I have a Lyman sizer die on the way from Midway since I only have a .451 and a .452. Anyway, I'm broke now so maybe this sickness will subside.Attachment 319247Attachment 319248
    Last edited by murf205; 10-29-2023 at 11:37 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Enjoy that Wheel gun. My S&W's all seem to have throats close to the spec groove diameter. With that piece I would try a 20/1 alloy with medium pressures to start. I got a set of pin gauges. Useful for a revolver guy. You can check for thread choke with them by finding the one that will slip nicely into the muzzle and then check it near the forcing cone.

My mix is normally 20/1 and I have some pc'd ready to size as soon as the die arrives. I can usually feel thread choke when slugging but I am going to shoot this gun first. I use Accurate #5 for my 45 AR stuff and it has worked just fine for the 250 gr boolits at 800 fps.
    As far as the Sig goes, I put 50 rounds of a variety of 9mm ammo through it without a hitch. W-W white box 115 gr, Sellier&Bellot 115 gr and 124 gr Hornady hp's with Unique as well as 5 grs of Blue Dot and 147 gr Magnus. No problems and the 147 gr load shot better than all the rest with the 124 gr handloads a close second. I would not use the 147 gr load for defense carry though because it would be a deep penetrating load.
    Last edited by murf205; 10-26-2023 at 09:32 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Oh this is a real dangerous time for you Murf. Soon as you’ve spent all your gun fund money that once in a lifetime piece will pop up at a very reasonable price…. Be careful where you look.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Oh this is a real dangerous time for you Murf. Soon as you’ve spent all your gun fund money that once in a lifetime piece will pop up at a very reasonable price…. Be careful where you look.
    No kidding! Murphy Law will strike for sure. I wish they had named that impending bad luck situation after Jones or Smith. Right after I bought the 25-2, I saw a guy with a 629 no dash 8 3/8" with a 2x silver Leupold in 99% condition and he said he would take $1K cash. Of course I was tapped out....

Boolit Master
    "Anyway, I'm broke now so maybe this sickness will subside." Uh-Huh, keep letting us know how that is working out!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    "Anyway, I'm broke now so maybe this sickness will subside." Uh-Huh, keep letting us know how that is working out!
    Well.......I'll try.

Boolit Master
    That sickness, it doesn’t go away. What you feed it just keeps it at bay for a bit.

Boolit Master
    I just won an auction for a 25-5 in 45 Colt and I was figuring the throats would be around .454 like my other older 45 revolvers. They aren’t even close. The throats all measure .457. At least .454 is in the range for pistol bullets. Not many pistol molds that will work with throats that large.

Boolit Master
    I wonder how Henry is doing with their new Big Boy wheel guns? Hopefully they are made to shoot cast well. Have not been able to handle one yet but I do like the bird's head gripped one.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    … After browsing and seeing some old friends, I stumbled across a S&W 25-2 6" in excellent condition on a friends table…
    I spent years looking to find a 6” Model 25-2. I had the earlier version with the 6 1/2” barr3l. 1/2” too long for sanctioned competition!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I just won an auction for a 25-5 in 45 Colt and I was figuring the throats would be around .454 like my other older 45 revolvers. They aren’t even close. The throats all measure .457. At least .454 is in the range for pistol bullets. Not many pistol molds that will work with throats that large.
    reddog, you can throw a tom cat through those throats! I have been told (true or not) that S&W would replace those huge cylinders. The stock of parts must be dwindling by now for sure but it wouldn't hurt to ask them. The other alternative would be to get Tom at Accurate molds to make you a mold that drops the diameter you need. He is a wizard! I have an Accurate mold that drops .454 so I am going to try to shoot them through my gun as they drop plus powder coat.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I spent years looking to find a 6” Model 25-2. I had the earlier version with the 6 1/2” barr3l. 1/2” too long for sanctioned competition!

Kevin
    Well Kevin, you got me thinking. Although I hadn't actually measured the barrel, I just did and it is indeed a 6 1/2". In the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson book I have, they state that Smith went to a 6" barrel on 25-2's in 1979. My gun was made between 1980 and 1983 so I figured it was a 6"--not so! It also states that the 6" guns were fitted with a red ramp which mine does not have. It's common knowledge that the factory was known for using frames from an earlier serial number ranges so this is not a huge surprise. At any rate, thanks for letting me set this straight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Well Kevin, you got me thinking. Although I hadn't actually measured the barrel, I just did and it is indeed a 6 1/2". In the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson book I have, they state that Smith went to a 6" barrel on 25-2's in 1979. My gun was made between 1980 and 1983 so I figured it was a 6"--not so! It also states that the 6" guns were fitted with a red ramp which mine does not have. It's common knowledge that the factory was known for using frames from an earlier serial number ranges so this is not a huge surprise. At any rate, thanks for letting me set this straight.
    While it was not my intention to have you measure the barrel, thank you for the additional information.

Please, check your messages.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub
    That is beautiful. Congrats!