Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Link satellite internet.

Moderator Emeritus

I had Hughes Net way back when it was new and it sucked then! LOL from reports it has not improved... useless if you wanted to watch video... hit the download limit way to fast...

When DSL came to town I jumped on it, had 100meg down, then then ran fiber and now I have 1gig down(800ish most days..)

Starlink just went live here, my dish and stuff is sitting on the floor. Tomorrow two young acrobats arrive to mount the dish and run the cable in the attic, through the trusses. Going to mount the dish on a long wall mount off the gas fireplace chase above the roof. Guy down the road about 2 miles just installed his dish on a 10' 6x6 pole, said it works great.

Ruku wifi service is supposed to work with it and the receiver is a $40 buy. Apps for streaming are about $5 a month. So Direct TV may take a hit, we will see.
    I am going to try to test the medical monitors, my main interest. Our current cel service will not maintain contact at present and the monitors all require a constant loop contact. Nearest city is 30 miles.....
    Last edited by Rapier; 10-27-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Best thing since sliced bread. Works great, out in the middle of nowhere Terlingua, TX

This is an informational thread. Thanks for all the replies.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I am surprised at the prices you are paying for Starlink in the US. We got it when it was first available here. Back then it was around 100 euros a month. Then they dropped the price down. We only pay forty euros for it now here in France. I do think it worked a bit better in the beginning. Still it gets the job done and is the only fast internet available where I am.

USMC 77, USRA 79

It’s a bit technical for some, but for me in remote alaska it was a no brained… super fast internet and video for our business, and for home internet… I also recently installed at our church… love it… once you get it setup, you are golden. I use my setup in bypass mode so it integrates well with my office and home networks.. cost me 90 bucks per account and the overhead cost of 600 for the equipment…

Any questions, please PM
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    We've had Star Link for about 18 months, basically the only real internet available where I am (south West Western Australia..) I was one of the first in my area, not cheap but with no real alternative (pretty much zero phone service, no matter what provider you have) Best thing we have ever had, my wife can work from home without the issues of internet (or lack of it)
    Also interesting with costing, cost AU$799 for the setup and now AU$139 per month, the equipment cost has come down now to about $300-$400. But given the value of the Ozzie peso vs the Green Back it works out fairly well. The only thing I had to sort after it had arrived was an ethernet connection for my office PC as the new version (square dish) is Wi-Fi only and the PC doesn't have Wi-Fi, easily ordered but a delay due to shipping etc. If I had of known I would have ordered as a bundle originally.

Would I buy again?

In a hart beat

Cheers

Redd

We got the system installed yesterday, only one of the two guys showed up, so I became his helper. With some minor mods to the original plan we got er done.
    The dish takes about 12 hours to get fully oriented and fully self adjusted. Have to give it some time to get set, after you get the dish installed. When you power the dish up, the dish starts moving to orient itself, you just install the upright hole in the mount so the top of the hole is level and the mounting pipe of the dish is plumb. The dish as it comes in the box is set at an angle and it orients itself once it gets power. Setup is real complicated, you plug the dish cord up to the router then you plug the router to the power, then you setup the wifi network name and password using the downloaded app on your smart phone. Then do a software update.

So this morning I ran a speed test.....wow...196 mps download and 20 mps up load. and it is overcast and foggy.

That is with their up graded router and a standard rectangular dish, mounted on an 1 1/2" galvanized pipe, bolted to the Fireplace "chase" that puts the dish above the top of the roof about four feet. Wiring was dropped down through the "chase", between the triple wall insulated fireplace flue piping and the "chase" itself, then through the roof hole for the triple wall insulated pipe, then across the attic and down into my electronics room. The house is spray foam insulated, sprayed on the underside of the roof.

Did not do an obstacle search, because the "chase" offered the highest point without obstacles in a 360 circle on our tree farm. These trees are 150' tall, so.....there was only one real place to put the dish.

A bit more testing to do for consistency, but so far so good.
    Last edited by Rapier; 10-29-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Anyone have information on their up graded router? Mine doesn’t seem to work as well as it originally did further away and through walls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12