Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Lyman tang sight question

Lyman tang sight question

I've got an old Lyman tang sight marked lightly WS on the underside. According to charts on the internet this sight fits the Winchester 62, 1906 and another rifle, none of which I own.

I'd like to mount the WS sight on a Model 94. The hole spacing is right for the 94, and the tang's curvature fits the underside of the sight base. I'm reasonably sure the sight's adjustment range will suit what I need on the 94.

Why would Lyman have used different codes for the different guns if the same sight fit all of them? Or am I missing something here?

Lots to know concerning the old sights; everyone should have a few years of production of the old Shooters Bible that gives us a boat load of info on sights and so much more. In general, base letters tell the rifle it fits on but some letters refer to several different firearms.

It might not matter - If the shoe fits, wear it !
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    It will probably be fine. You could mount it and see if everything works for you.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking you are asking the wrong question. The sight fits a 94 and has the adjustment to work. Is it a case that it has more adjustment than needed for a 94 but is required for the other models that it is listed to fit? So that a 94 marked sight would fit the others but not have the adjustment range?

Boolit Master
    The stems and thimbles could be longer or shorter, depending on the drop of the tang and the height of the receivers a given model Winchester. Also, the angle of the sight when erected could be slightly different, depending on the rifle model.

All Winchesters seemed to have the same hole spacing on their tangs, and at this late date, unless you are primarily interested in period authenticity, all I’ve encountered with Winchester bases will work on other model Winchesters. The ones with the lever lock can be set at any angle desired, and the others can have the angle modified by loosening, repositioning and retightening the sight in its base, although this operation may need special tools to be made. Sometimes the result might look a little odd, with a short thimble and a long skinny stem sticking up to maximum height, but the view through the aperture is the same.

Boolit Master
    those old Lyman and marbles sight are so much higher quality than the ones made today are light night and day two different things. the ones I have experience with anyway.

Boolit Master
    Heck, I’d try it & see! If it works, great if not order the correct one.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

If your gonna make the old sights a habit you ought to have a copy of nick stroebel's book "old gun sights" a collectors guide. Excellent reference. Bent ramrod is correct in the shorter size of the stem and adjustment knob being shorter. D or DA would be correct for the win 94 depending on caliber.

Vendor Sponsor

I also agree with Bent Ramrods post in that the angle of the wrist may be among the primary reasons there are model number differences. Though not ideal, you may be able to adapt this one to your needs. I hope you can. Do you have the correct longer tang screw to install this sight?
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I also agree with Bent Ramrods post in that the angle of the wrist may be among the primary reasons there are model number differences. Though not ideal, you may be able to adapt this one to your needs. I hope you can. Do you have the correct longer tang screw to install this sight?
    No, I don't have the long tang screw for use with the sight. Been trying to communicate with Lyman on this. They might be puzzled by my combination of an old sight and an old rifle (1942). I don't know the age of the sight. A clue might be the tiny fold-down aperture. Apparently the thread/hole size in the tang holes varied over the decades.

I don't have the short front sight screw either. I believe the front tang thread is 10-32, I can cobble the front screw from hardware store stock, but from what I've seen on the web, the rear screw is a tapered affair. Is that correct?
    Last edited by PBSmith; 10-27-2023 at 08:00 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

It is tapered but not on the threads. Just the shank is tapered with the head shank larger than the screw size. I've made a few and Lyman should be able to provide one. MVA is also a source. Contact them - if nothing else works, PM me.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    It is tapered but not on the threads. Just the shank is tapered with the head shank larger than the screw size. I've made a few and Lyman should be able to provide one. MVA is also a source. Contact them - if nothing else works, PM me.
    Thank you Mr. Wills. I will hold out for a response from Lyman and see what happens.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 10-28-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Lyman finally responded to my inquiry after I sent them a jpg of the sight. The only screws they have are for the modern Lyman sight. Those have a different head than the old sight screws.

Fortunately I found on ebay screws that fit perfectly for my older sight, the one marked "WS.". Seller of these screws is Tommy Dail in Knoxville, TN. He trades on ebay as TD Gun Screws or tdail3.

Will be anxious to see if groups with the tang and my home-made front bullseye sight allow better groups than the standard bead front and open rear notch.