WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1958 Marlin 336 Refinish.

1958 Marlin 336 Refinish.

I talk about this type of stuff a lot here. I enjoy buying old guns in rough shape that need a "Refinish," and making them pretty again.

I bought this gun in 2001 specifically to learn how to do this. I paid $225 for it and it was in OK shape with only a small amount of light pitting on the barrel. The wood still had the Goo that Marlin put on wood back in the day, but after I removed that I found that the Buttstock and Fore End were made from two completely different types of Walnut. I spent time over the last 20 years on and off trying different things to get them to match somewhat. I finally got pretty close after numerous attempts which usually ended up back in the safe to age some more. I used Birchwood-Casey Wood Refinishing Products, as well as some Min Wax Stains and Tints I got from Woodcraft. This ain't that hard to do and if you can operate Sand Paper and Steel Wool you can do it..

I also used this gun to learn how to smooth out the actions on a Marlin Rifle. Several of my techniques were used in the production of the new Marlin Rifles being made by Ruger. The action on this gun is the smoothest Marlin I've ever handled, and it mainly took simple "Deburring" of internal parts. Scotch Brite Deburring Wheel on my Buffer is where I do most of this stuff, such as Breaking Sharp Edges, but there was also some file and sand paper work done on the inside of the Receiver and Exterior of the Bolt.

I never mess with Trigger/Sear Engagement as older guns usually have been worn in to the point where there is little to nothing to be gained. A lighter Hammer Spring from a Brownell's Spring kit ($12) will get you to where you need to go. Also the guns I am doing would never have a perfect trigger, and since I figure I can learn any trigger in about 2 minutes I don't go that deep. I did put a Timney Trigger into my Springfield NRA Sporter Replica that I showed here earlier this year. It is about as close to perfect as you can get, but that is a completely different type of gun.

The one thing that really helped this gun come back to life is the Cera-Kote Process. This is the 4th gun I've got with this done. This is the one thing you can do to a ugly gun to make it pretty again. If prepped correctly it will fill small Rust Pitts, and if you have to file or sandpaper them down it will hide that too. I did my first one a CZ82 pistol myself and cooked it in a Toaster Oven and it came out NICE! Grit blasted all the parts with Steel Grit so I had a really good "Surface Profile." Did the Frame, Trigger Guard and Slide, Re-Blued all the little Piece Parts with Cold Blue.

This gun got the Barreled Action, most of the Lever, and Mag Tube done by Vang Comp because I don't have an oven big enough to cook things that long. I also had them do my NRA Sporter, and Enfield .35-303 Sporter, which I posted Pics of here, earlier this year.

My whole point of this thread is to encourage others to try making Silk out of Sows Ears and enjoy the satisfaction of a Job well done. With the way things are right now in the world, anything you can do to make yourself feel a little better could be a welcome addition to your life.

Unfortunately the really good pics were too big to upload here. but you can go here to see them. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1876909

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2408.jpg   IMG_2456.jpg   IMG_2458.jpg   IMG_2459.jpg   IMG_2473.jpg  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-23-2023 at 02:55 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Nice save, for sure...
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

The one thing that really helped this gun come back to life is the Cera-Kote Process. This is the 4th gun I've got with this done. This is the one thing you can do to a ugly gun to make it pretty again. If prepped correctly it will fill small Rust Pitts, and if you have to file or sandpaper them down it will hide that too. I did my first one a CZ82 pistol myself and cooked it in a Toaster Oven and it came out NICE! Grit blasted all the parts with Steel Grit so I had a really good "Surface Profile." Did the Frame, Trigger Guard and Slide, Re-Blued all the little Piece Parts with Cold Blue.

Randy
    Beautiful work ! Is there a building product like durakote offers durafil available from cerakote , or do you have a process outside the directions for filling ?
    I'd encourage you to look into mark lee rust blue or similar for the parts you're cold bluing. I think youll find the process more durable than cold blue.
    whats the next project?

That’s a very nice rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    That looks quite good for a rifle that I'm sure didn't look too good before. Thank you for sharing the results of your project.

Boolit Master
    Very nice looking rifle.
    I am glad to see others that do Restoration on older guns.

The next Project is a beat up Ruger 77 in .243 Win. I just got it last Saturday and it will need the wood done and the metal. I am looking at buying a Smoker to cook the Cera Kote parts. Hopefully they will have them in stock.

The next project after that is my Swedish CG63 Replica that has been on hold for a Rear Sight until a few weeks ago when I finally scored a Proper Elit Diopter Sight from Sweden. The Mauser M96 Rifle was made in 1899 and the bore is perfect. I found a knock off Stock in TX a few years back and the wood the guy made it out of is Spectacular !!!.

No paint on that one just a few minor touch ups on the metal and an Oil Finish on the stock that has about 20 coats of Tru-Oil. I have been looking for a Proper Rear Sight that I could afford for some time. One popped up and I had bought some other piece parts for the gun from the same guy a few years back, and he remembered me !

I am building that rifle for shooting Long Range Silhouette and National Match.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-26-2023 at 03:05 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy, nice job on the Marlin, you can buy the air cure Cerakote, which hardens like the oven bake product over 5-7 days. I have used it on several rifles and shotguns, enough to use up over a dozen containers. If pitted metal and you do a double coat, wet, it fills very well. I do this process when I get in a rough gun to clean up. Suggest a touch up gravity fed spray gun and a triple wash with acetone after blasting, wire hang, with 1/4 turns per coat.

A steam generator for rust blue is a fairly easy build and can give you a rust blue job in as short a time as one day.

This is the 358 Win I just finished coating with Granite Black air cure.

Not that this is better, just an alternative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0624.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Very nice work!

One of my nephews took a brand new Ruger American and had it Cerocoated. I thought it was foolish to cover up a new factory finnish in his case but in Randy's case, it makes perfect sense.

I will say his rifle looks pretty sharp.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”