Friends:

I have two of them, have used them some
    for firewood and cleanup - say low to moderate
    wear & tear. The other day I had a cleanup job,
    got 'em out, couldn't start 'em. Can't overcome
    the compression to get them going.

Took them to my buddy for a look-see, he started
    them up, ran fine, no problem. I still can't start
    the buggers. Old age setting in, I guess.

Gonna go down to the local Stihl dealer and
    see what he wants to do. Electric or something
    easier to start.

Any ideas ?

Boolit Master
    Electric or a new kid ??

Boolit Grand Master
    Some have a decompression button
    Don Verna

You need to push that little button in on the side like dverna said.
    I'm 72 and can still start mine even if I forget the button, but when I do, I realize I didn't push it.
    Brings up memories of an old JD tractor back on the farm, no electric start, a little brass petcock on each side.
    You started the tractor by opening each petcock then pulling over the flywheel.
    When the engine started, you closed the petcocks.
    I really miss that farm, all houses now.

for what its worth. fresh gas if it has set for a while. if it has a primer bubble pup it up some times it may take 15- 20 pumps
    turn on the start pull out the choke. slowly pull the cord to get the gas moving and build compression. when it fires push the choke off should start on the first or second pull. other things to check, make sure you are using the right mix most are 50:1 shake it up REALLY good.
    clean or replace the plug. make sure the brake is clean. chips in and around the brake band will keep it from turning freely and IF the chain is not too tight. check the nose gear on the bar if its tight you may have pinched the bar.
    for me this is basic saw check to keep them running smooth. I have 3 saws an o45 about 40 yrs old, a 450 rancher and a 365. All are Huskys and the run great most of the time.

Moderator Emeritus

I think it's time for a old man to get a battery powered saw.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Me and 54 year old son taking turns on the saw. Big Oak on our deer property blocking the best shooting. 5 yr/old Stihl starts on the 3rd lick after sitting a year. But, yeah I was looking at the battery rig also. Those are more powerful than one would think possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231014_120032.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	319136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231014_120044.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	319135
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    I am 75, and of my 4 chainsaws, 2 are stihl, 2 are husky. for me, the husky starts easier. one most used is a 455, has one of the primer bulbs and a compression release. rare for it to not be running on second pull. except in hunting season or rain days, it gets run nearly every day. my stihl's start ok, but not this easy.
    Barry

Boolit Master

Had a Husky for 11-12 years. One day it would not start, no spark. Contacted dealer, no parts for saws over 10 years old. That was before I had internet service so no way to determine if there were alternate resources to get it going. Haven't owned a Husky since.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I have an corded electric for around the yard or for minor cutting where I don't want to have to gas up the Stihl 310 for some minor cutting. It's 18 inch blade does all I need for light trimming or the occasional resizing a log too big for the stove. I run the gas saw dry before storing it and only use pure gas none of the alcohol mix do it usually starts after the 3rd pull or so.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Stihl 261 is a very light and powerful saw. Right at 4 hp and 10.7 lbs and has a decompression valve. I know when I am tired from cutting all day starting my Stihl 661 I notice may take an extra pull to start as I am not as quick when tired.
    I know some that drop start thier saws.

As an old poot battery saws are getting more appealing especially for a quick nip off of a small limb.
    Alcohol free gas in ALL my small engines and proper oil for 2 stroke. Costs more up front but run better and causes less problems down the road
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Buddy

I have a husky, used infrequently, have in a plastic case cause it leaks chain oil. Starts within 2-3 pulls. i never use alcohol gas, so starts even when not used > 6 months.

Boolit Grand Master

A buddy converted his saws to use a cordless drill similar to the video.

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I sort of prefer Husky's but there is almost no dealer service although it seems they are sold everywhere. I am leaning toward Stihl because of the dealer network. They do make a fine product and we have a good dealer in town.

Boolit Master

I have a nice Echo 16" saw. It's not big, but all I need. It runs great, but when it dies it will be the last gas saw that I buy. The new generation electric saws for an occasional user like me are the way to go and certainly do not lack power to get it done.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    A buddy converted his saws to use a cordless drill similar to the video.

That was neat
    Don Verna

Banned

had two stihl gas saws. wife bought me a battery stihl a couple year back for my birthday and a month later i gave both gas saws to my son in law. if i still burned wood i would have kept the big one but as is i have no use for it. last year i decided i wanted a second battery saw to leave in the jeep all the time found i could get a dewalt 20vt with a battery for the cost of just the battery for my stihl. i have mostly 20v dewalt tools so it made sense. it doesnt seem to have quite the power the stihl has but its close and half the price. then this fall i bought 2 of the milwaukee hatchet saws. they are a smaller 1 hand 12v saw. one stays in my polaris general and the other has cooking oill in the chain oiler and is used to butcher deer

are you talking Husqvarna? or Husky?

I have had both.... one's Ok, one's junk

I now have many Stihls, and half as many Husqvarnas.

I was rebuilding them and selling them locally.
    I want to get back to doing that.... can make a few bucks this way
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses, friends.
    The saws are Husqvarna. Going to look
    at Stihl e-z pulls and electric, however
    this is Amish country and I doubt our
    Amish dealer keeps many battery tools
    around. I think JonP hit the bullseye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast