WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: X Ring reloaders

Boolit Master

X Ring reloaders

I have become interested in the X-Ring reloader kit for shotguns, especially the 410 version. Anybody have personal experience with them. The video looks promising but I have been fooled by videos before. james

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    sounds like a resurrection of the Lee whack a mole on their site .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

You can put a simple hand loader together from parts from the hardware store. There used to be a good site on the web and plenty of YouTube videos.

Boolit Master

I have an old wooden 16 gauge set that was made in France. Nice little outfit. Yes, I could make a tool for the 410 but the X Ring is made of steel and would be more durable than wood. I don't have the machinery to make a set out of steel. james

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I don’t know why nobody makes normal dies to reload 410 on a single stage press?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I don’t know why nobody makes normal dies to reload 410 on a single stage press?
    all you need is are special start and finish crimp dies and decap rod . A special shell holder for the 209 primer .

This is why 444,303&9.3×63 brass gets used . No special tools needed . Just a suitable shell holder , gutted FCD and universal decapping die.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

This is the parts list from the site that is no longer up. No wood and no machining required. Also check out some of the DIY 410 YouTube sites.

1) PVC water pipe, 1/2” diameter, 3-1/2” long, beveled internally at the ends.
    2) Galvanized pipe nipple, 5/8” interior diameter
    3) Wooden dowel rod, 1/2” diameter
    4) Wooden dowel rod, 1/4” diameter
    5) 3/8” drive socket, old cheap one made in Taiwan
    6) * 410 bore Resize Ring from a MEC 600 reloading press. MEC Part#: 8465410
    7) Magnetic bit holder for an electric drill, 3/8” diameter, two of them attached together.
    8) * Lee +374 De-capper, from a .45-70 Lee Loader kit. The 3/8” Drywall Anchor Tool we found at ACE Hardware can substitute.
    9) * 410 bore ‘Spindex Star Crimp’ – 6 point, from a MEC 600 reloading press. MEC Part#: 8439410
    10) Funnel, any funnel will work so long as the tip will fit inside the mouth of the .410 shell case.
    11) Scavenged wood and a piece of scavenged steel, something hard to hammer on and protect the table.
    12) Hammer, plastic tipped

I have the XRing for .410 to reload for my Bond Arms derringer. It does exactly what it’s suppose to do, I have no complaints.

Vendor Sponsor

OK, this looks like a well made tool. I have a "Pre Lee" tool set and have figured out how to make it crimp right. The secret is in the pre crimp. You need to squish it down to where there is only a 1/8"-3/16" hole left in the Hull mouth before you try to close the crimp.

Also using these tools with an Arbor Press or Drill Press is the way to go as opposed to beating on them with a Plastic Mallet or trying to push them together with your hands. And if you are loading a Box of Shells you do the operations in batches. IE; Knock out all the Primers, Resize all the Hulls, Prime all the Hulls and so on. That way you don't have to change setups for each operation on every shell. Same with Metallic Cartridges and Lee Loaders. These tools also work great for loading Slugs and Buckshot where you aren't loading a zillion rounds,,, maybe 25 at most.

I personally think Lee should bring back their Shot Shell Loaders as there is a pretty big demand for them. Also have you seen the price$ People get for .410 Lee Loaders on Ebay?

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2074.JPG   IMG_2075.JPG   IMG_2001.JPG   IMG_2003.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Randy I know what you mean about the prices for the Lee Loader in 410 on evilbay. Parts should be solid gold or at least plated with the prices they are asking. I would buy a MEC reloader in 410 before I would pay their asking prices. Ballistic products have them in stock for something like $270.00 plus shipping.
    Shawlerbrook, I may end up making my own 410 set as it is a low end reloading need for me. I have my 12 and 16 gauge needs covered well but nothing for the 410 as yet.
    Thanks for the advice and help guys, I am in the thinking stage on 410 right and I think I need an aspirin. james

James, I did and it works great for my needs( only have single shot 410’s). Definitely check out the YouTube videos as there are a few variations of DIY 410 reloading.

Boolit Master

That is what I have Shawlerbrook, a little single shot 410 made by Stevens Model 107B. Dad bought it used (barely) around 1948 or 1949 from a guy he worked with and brought it home after 3-11 shift. I was 6 then. He insisted on waking me up to show me my new gun, over moms protests. I hunted squirrels for about 4 years with that gun and then switched to a 12 gauge single barrel Iver Johnson. I still used the 410 once in a while years later. Then My son started his hunting career with it. The little 410 with 3" shell had no trouble with a squirrel as long as you remember to get close for your shots. My son even knocked down a few doves with it. We used #6 shotshells for everything. james