WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Pro 4-20 Casting Pot, would you recommend?

Lee bottom dripper is only one I have, works fine, 15 or so yrs. I added a PID I built and it helps but not needed. Usually just cast half the pot then add alloy. Got a cheap tap wrench to put in the top of the spout, adds weight and I just twist it to stop drips. I use 4 hole pistol molds, 6 is too tiring for long sessions.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Early Lee pots were known for their dripping lead. I think Lee made some design change s to fix that problem. I highly recommend a PID for temperature accuracy. Knowing what the lead temperate is and when the temp. is back up to casting temp. after you have added lead makes casting good bullets a lot easier. The PID showed me I was starting to cast boolits well before the lead was back up to my temp.
    I had a fellow shooter come over with his new Lee 20 lb. pot that wanted to get started in casting. I used my PID to get his thermostat properly set. The scale on the pot was way off like 150 degrees. Also the thermostat is a constant problem with any brand pot over time. With a PID you can bypass the factory thermostat I have a 40 y.o. Lyman pot but I found the Lee very suitable. Also the price of a casting thermometer is half to two thirds the price of a PID.
    Also buy a hotplate to preheat your molds.

Yes and a PID. Once you find the right temp, the PID makes it one less thing to worry about.

Boolit Buddy

I have both a Lee 10 lb and a Lee 20 lb bottom pour. I also have a dual PID.
    It holds the temps very close and works great.
    I have no desire to change right now. I am also retired so I keep a lid on spending but this set up has worked great for over 25 years.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12