WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50-95 1876

Boolit Bub

50-95 1876

Hi guys,

Does anyone here shoot the 50-95 cartridge out of the 1876 Winchester? I am being sorely tempted to sell things to get one of the Uberti or Cimarron models.

Boolit Buddy
    About ? years ago I won 80 rounds of loaded 50-95 winchester buffalo arms black powder rounds at the local auction house for $26. A few months later a new Uberti 1876 50-95 (rifle not the carbine) found its way to my care (~$1,500 ).
    Dies were available and brass easly made from 50 Alaskan. I used 50-90 but it needs the rim turned to load from the magazine. The Alaskan doesn't.
    Recoil with IMR 4198 data from cartridges of the world smokeless loads was surprisingly reasonable accuracy good for the first time out. It's an oddity at the range and a conversation starter.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    The 50/95 is a neat old cartridge that’s easy to load and I’ve had a great deal of fun working with it in my 76 repro’s.

Granted, I started shooting the 50/95 cartridge back when brass was somewhat plentiful and was able to lay in a good supply but, as has been shared, making suitable cartridge cases from 50 Alaskan appears to be straightforward and not all that complicated if you can find it (back ordered at Starline right now).

I can echo wwmartins sentiments reference using IMR 4198 as it is my “go to” smokeless powder for use in my rifles.

I get very good accuracy and can get up to 1450 fps with a 350 flat nosed .515 diameter boolit without beating me or the gun up at all.

Here’s a pic of one of my 50/95 hand loads next to a 45/70 round:

Both my 50/95’s at the range for some ”offhand” practice:

Uberti Presidio on the left, Chaparral short rifle on the right

Here’s a 100 yard group off the bench with the Presidio:

Another when I squint real hard and get the front sight as clear as possible:

The Chapparal shoots just as well but its trigger pull is about 7 pounds and every once in a while I will get a fairly pronounced flyer that’s 100% my poor trigger control:

Five shots at 100 at yards:

Another group here at 100 yards with that pesky flyer:

I have used the 50/95 on feral pigs with a modicum of success and find it to be well up to the task at woods ranges:

As long as you don’t have a problem with rendering 50 Alaskan brass into useable cases you should have a great time with the 50/95.

FYI, the Cimarron is made by Uberti, Cimarron being just the importer. I also have the Presidio 76 in 50-95.

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    Wow those look fun. Now to decide what to sell to get it

I have an Uberti. I use shortened 50 alaskan, a .513 bullet at 325 grains and a bunch of black powder. Lots of fun once you put good sights on it and work over the terrible trigger pull. A shotgun buttplate would be a nice option.

Boolit Master

Be careful, it always starts with one. '76 Uberti's are pretty habit forming. I'll be using my 45-75 during antlerless season next week in WVa.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy

I love it! 50-95 Winchester! Have brass, dies, and a bunch of various boolit moulds. Have an original 1876 Winchester action. Bought a 50 cal octagonal barrel too. Just have to order a chamber reamer. My question is: I believe the original 1876 Winchesters had a larger threaded hole in the receiver to accept the 50 cal barrel with the big chamber. Does anyone know if the frames were different from the 45-60's and the 50-95's ?????

Boolit Bub
    Boy does it! I still have shot my NWMP one yet!

Boolit Master

As much as I like my Uberti .50-95, I've been thinking about selling it. I'm at the age where I enjoy my lighter, smaller caliber rifles more.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    As much as I like my Uberti .50-95, I've been thinking about selling it. I'm at the age where I enjoy my lighter, smaller caliber rifles more.
    Well, I may be interested!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    The 50/95 is a neat old cartridge that’s easy to load and I’ve had a great deal of fun working with it in my 76 repro’s.

Granted, I started shooting the 50/95 cartridge back when brass was somewhat plentiful and was able to lay in a good supply but, as has been shared, making suitable cartridge cases from 50 Alaskan appears to be straightforward and not all that complicated if you can find it (back ordered at Starline right now).

I can echo wwmartins sentiments reference using IMR 4198 as it is my “go to” smokeless powder for use in my rifles.

I get very good accuracy and can get up to 1450 fps with a 350 flat nosed .515 diameter boolit without beating me or the gun up at all.

Here’s a pic of one of my 50/95 hand loads next to a 45/70 round:

Both my 50/95’s at the range for some ”offhand” practice:

Uberti Presidio on the left, Chaparral short rifle on the right

Here’s a 100 yard group off the bench with the Presidio:

Another when I squint real hard and get the front sight as clear as possible:

The Chapparal shoots just as well but its trigger pull is about 7 pounds and every once in a while I will get a fairly pronounced flyer that’s 100% my poor trigger control:

Five shots at 100 at yards:

Another group here at 100 yards with that pesky flyer:

I have used the 50/95 on feral pigs with a modicum of success and find it to be well up to the task at woods ranges:

As long as you don’t have a problem with rendering 50 Alaskan brass into useable cases you should have a great time with the 50/95.
    Now if we could just figure how to get them piggies to stand one behind the otheer ----think of the ammo you'd save

Did you get one yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windmills - 1 (116).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	320239, Heck, Just get an original. This thing has a pristine bore and shoots to the sights in small groups. No British marks, a homebody short rifle. Dr.C

Sweet!

Nifty! Haven't come across one I can afford yet.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1876 resize.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	320308

I lucked out and found mine on an online auction site a couple years ago for much less than the going rate. I believe it was unfired (probably couldn't find ammo for it), it had a little dent on the fore-end other wise NIB. Mine is a Uberti/Stoeger and I lucked out as the groove diameter is just under .512, it shoots quite well with RL7, BP, or Trippel 7.

Boolit Bub
    Boss bought me one for doing some side work. Should be here Friday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast