Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tires

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

New tires

I was shopping for new tires this week. I wanted Toyo Open Country, as they are good for around 60,000+ miles. The prices I was being quoted by tire stores were around $1600.
    Then I remembered something I had been told years ago. I checked with a car dealer, and got the same tires for $1065, mounted and balanced! Hopefully this will help save you some bucks.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thanks for the info!!!!

That's clever!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks. I would have never thought with checking tire prices at the dealership.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Local GM dealer has better prices on tires than the dedicated tire dealer just across the street, plus he has original equipment tires in stock.

I just got a set of LT235/85R16 Load Range E Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tires mounted, balanced, and installed on my truck for $!030. All I had to do was take the old tires to the landfill on my way home, where they were accepted at no charge. This is the same price I paid in 2017 55,000 miles ago for the same size Michelin Discovery tires. The Agilis tires are 70,000-mile tires. As Waksupi says, it pays to shop around.
    Last edited by Tatume; 10-23-2023 at 06:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info i have never tried that . I need a new set on one of my service pickups I will give it a try.

Super Moderator

Same exact thing just happened with new tires for my wife's 4Runner. They were cheaper than Discount Tire, mounted and balanced and included an alignment. Discount offers a "price match", but they don't do alignments. We went with the dealer.

Did you check the tread depth? Some oem tires have less tread depth and hit the wear bars at lower mileage. Typically oem tires only last 20k or less especially if gravel roads are involved.
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
    Did you check the tread depth? Some oem tires have less tread depth and hit the wear bars at lower mileage. Typically oem tires only last 20k or less especially if gravel roads are involved.
    That has not been my experience. I got 45K out of the last two work truck factory tires and 55K out of a Subaru Forester. Tires were on one ton trucks loaded heavily and rode hard on gravel and pavement.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have checked closely with the dealers and the big tire stores in this area they are pretty close in price .

Above someone mentioned Michelin Cross climate tires I put a set on our Ford Flex and love them they have the best traction in bad weather I think I have had . The week after I got them I had to travel 200 miles on ice / snow covered roads they did very well and are great in heavy rain.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
    72,000 miles on the original tires, and yes, we do have gravel.

Moderator Emeritus

I usually wait till Costco has a sale on them. Usually the cheapest option plus free rotations.

Boolit Master
    I haven't checked with him yet, but a friend at church owns a tire store, so odds are I'll be going with him. He has a reputation of giving good deals for friends.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master

P.S. on tires My 2015 Silverado came with Continental tires they were worn out at only 30,000 miles (All 4 brake pads wore out at 40,000 miles) .
    New tires B.F. Goodrich all terrain have 20,000 miles and barely show wear have much better traction and handling I think they where about $200 each if I remember right.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Banned

cheapest around here is discount tire or walmart. dont care for walmart so i use discount. want a good all terrain tire that wears good. nitto ridge graplers. they are more agressive then bfg at's (ive owned many ests) tent to be more round and use less weights then most. are quieter then bfgs or duratrac's and wear better too. id usualy gey 60k out of bfgs and the nittos on my jeep have 60k and theres an east 20k left in them and thats being conserative. when i picked up my new toy this spring. a 2006 short box gmc first thing i did to it was i pulled the perfectly good off brand ats that were on it and gave them to my son in law and put a set of ridge grapplers on it. truck my wife drives in the winter got duratrac's. there just no at tire that does better on snow and ice that is still good for real off road use

Boolit Bub
    tirerack.com, they will ship to you or to near-by tire installation place.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    P.S. on tires My 2015 Silverado came with Continental tires they were worn out at only 30,000 miles (All 4 brake pads wore out at 40,000 miles) .
    New tires B.F. Goodrich all terrain have 20,000 miles and barely show wear have much better traction and handling I think they where about $200 each if I remember right.
    I had a similar experience with my 2016 Silverado. Continental tires were horrible. I put Cooper Discoverer AT3s on it....I now have 92K on the truck and just purchased a set of Cooper Endeavor Plus tires that will be mounted next Monday. I don't do much off-roading any longer, so I was more interested in a quiet tire. I put a set of these on my 2015 Traverse and my wife and I can actually talk to each other now in the car instead of yelling. (no wife jokes please...hahaha) My AT3s are so loud my co-workers think I'm in a helicopter when I'm out on the open road....anyway...paid $202 each (tirerack through ebay) for a set of 4 of the 275/55/20s for my 2016. It will cost me another $25 per to mount/balance and I'll have another $165 for 4 wheel alignment.

Brakes...yeah...I got a bit more than 40K...maybe 50K...so I'll be putting another set of pads on it this coming spring....I do mostly highway driving now.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 10-28-2023 at 04:32 PM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I'm looking for four tires for my Buick Regal TourX. The GM dealer said that the Goodyears they carry are on backorder, with no time line (approx $1100). They offered me four Continentals (that's what's on the Buick now) for approx $1600 (45,000 mile tires). Town Fair Tires will sell me four tires that they say are better (of course) than the Continentals for about $900.
    I'm going to my local mechanic tomorrow to see what he has.

Check tirerack.com

The OEM front Michelin tires on my 2017 F250 have nearly 80K miles on them and were ready for replacement. The rears I had done a couple months ago at Discount Tire the total was nearly $1000. I just ordered a pair of tires identical to the originals from Tire Rack dot com and the total was $640. I will be mounting and balancing at the same Discount Tire location but they will only get $55 of my money this time.