Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: PRIMERS: Does the size of one's package matter?

Boolit Master

PRIMERS: Does the size of one's package matter?

My inventory of large pistol primers was getting pretty thin. I noticed an online major retailer finally offering to sell up to a case of 5,000 Rem LPs. Pretty spendy and only one case per a haz-mat ship fee -- YIKES.

Well, what is a mother to do? I ordered. When they came in I gasped. This can not be right- no waythat 5,000 LPs fit in those little boxes! But, it appears to be true. I have not used Rem primers for pistol before, but they have to beat not having any.

PigeonRoost

Boolit Buddy
    The Federal primers are the ones in the big boxes. They take up a lot of room. IIRC, this had to do with a couple of batches that were too sensitive. And would chain react within the boxes. So they got spread out in the trays.

But yea, Federals take up at least 4 times the room as they are further apart within the trays.

Other then storage space, a large flip tray is required.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Just bought 5k Rem 7 1/2 from Natchez, came out to $100/k after shipping and hazmat. Natchez states that up to 50# per hazmat fee. I could have bought powder under the fee, but I have more powder than I have primers for right now.
    BTW, Rem 7 1/2 are the suggested go to primers for the 450 Bushmaster.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    My inventory of large pistol primers was getting pretty thin. I noticed an online major retailer finally offering to sell up to a case of 5,000 Rem LPs. Pretty spendy and only one case per a haz-mat ship fee -- YIKES.

Well, what is a mother to do? I ordered. When they came in I gasped. This can not be right- no waythat 5,000 LPs fit in those little boxes! But, it appears to be true. I have not used Rem primers for pistol before, but they have to beat not having any.

PigeonRoost
    I have used them and they shoot great! Like those little boxes because they are easier to store.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Good Lord, I hate those ridiculous huge Federal boxes. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it takes half a garage to store a couple cases of Federal primers. I have several old boxes of Federal back when they were a sensible size and the difference is unbelievable. Also have 3 plus cases of Remington SR that can be tucked away under a pile of rags and nobody would even notice them. Apparently Remington is catching up with orders as a wholesaler I buy from got in SP and SR and is selling them for $69.99 per 1,000. You have to have a FFL to buy them though. I broke my pledge to hold off for lower prices and ordered 2 cases of SP. I was down to 7 bricks and starting to sweat seeing all this political instability plus the idea that we may have another Biden term ahead. Now I should be set for another full demoRat term in the White House. If they go down to $50 per 1,000 I'll buy even more.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Good Lord, I hate those ridiculous huge Federal boxes. jd
    Hate the packaging, love the primers. My lightly sprung competition revolvers demand them for reliability.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

The Cabelas here had a lot of primers today. Some Winchester small pistol and small pistol Magnum for $79.99 per K and CCI various primers for $89.99 per K, Some Federal and some match primers varied from $94.99 and up. and there were some small rifle CCI that must have been very special for $149.99 per K They also had some individual 100 count trays which I hadn't seen before that way. I did also see a Glock 45 in the case ,used for $350 which began to appeal to me but there was a crowd, so I left. Their AR parts selection is growing I think. They had a Rise middle of the road drop in trigger for $140 and a bunch of other parts for more than Midway but no shipping and you can take it with you.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    The Cabelas here had a lot of primers today. Some Winchester small pistol and small pistol Magnum for $79.99 per K and CCI various primers for $89.99 per K, Some Federal and some match primers varied from $94.99 and up. and there were some small rifle CCI that must have been very special for $149.99 per K They also had some individual 100 count trays which I hadn't seen before that way. I did also see a Glock 45 in the case ,used for $350 which began to appeal to me but there was a crowd, so I left. Their AR parts selection is growing I think. They had a Rise middle of the road drop in trigger for $140 and a bunch of other parts for more than Midway but no shipping and you can take it with you.
    that glock would have came home with me

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    Yeah, it takes half a garage to store a couple cases of Federal primers. I have several old boxes of Federal back when they were a sensible size and the difference is unbelievable. Also have 3 plus cases of Remington SR that can be tucked away under a pile of rags and nobody would even notice them. Apparently Remington is catching up with orders as a wholesaler I buy from got in SP and SR and is selling them for $69.99 per 1,000. You have to have a FFL to buy them though. I broke my pledge to hold off for lower prices and ordered 2 cases of SP. I was down to 7 bricks and starting to sweat seeing all this political instability plus the idea that we may have another Biden term ahead. Now I should be set for another full demoRat term in the White House. If they go down to $50 per 1,000 I'll buy even more.
    $50/k is my buy-in price as well. I am in decent shape on primers so not panicking...yet.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post

PigeonRoost
    you think remington are condensed.. fiocchi fit 1500 in a box just HAIR bigger than the rem 1000 brick....

Boolit Master

I have always bought CCI primers and still have a number of older ones in the small boxes for a short while Remington LP primers where cheaper by the thousand and I bought 2 K . I used them almost exclusively in .45 acp and they worked very well for me same powder charge I used with CCI-500 . I did load a few in rifle cases with much reduced loads they worked good except with Aliant 2400 it Hercules 2400 worked fine but the newer powder gave ignition issues .

I had some Federal SP primers the cups were so soft even light loads under Berry plated bullets in .357 Mag cases had scary flat primers .

P.S. I got some copper plated 150 grain .38 hollow based wad cutters at a gun show in a bag maker unknown. I loaded some for my S&W target Masterpiece and they shot 6 inch 15 yard group! I shot some into a snow bank and recovered them and found the plating was slipping or ripped off the bullets. I decided to try coating the bullets to see if it would help . The bullets were painted with spray Enamel Rustoleum red paint and baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes . Same loading now shoots into a inch and a half at 15 yards for a torture test I loaded some backwards seating them out to the same depth as a 158 grain bullet .The load of little gun claims 1500 f/s from a non-vented 10" barrel the load was a snug fit in chamber throat but they did shoot well . Since then I loaded some old 150 grain Serria 150 grain JHC with same load they averaged 1250 f/s .

P.S. while cleaning I found a box of 100 pistol primers I did not have stored with the rest as they are Federal S.P. and the box is so large they really do not fit in with CCI boxes! I also have .38 special only wrote on the box because even light loads in .357 magnum flatten them badly.
    Last edited by firefly1957; 10-26-2023 at 08:19 AM. Reason: P.S.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I went up to Grafs in Mexico,Mo the other day & got 2k CCi small pistol primers & 1K large pistol primers

I don't like paying $83+ per thousand but as wifey says they aren't going to get cheaper any time soon
    Was going to order them, but a $25 hazmat fee on top of a $29 shipping fee just hit me wrong

Boolit Master

Yep you can almost bet on them never getting cheaper.

Boolit Master

Agreed, that's my restock price.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    you think remington are condensed.. fiocchi fit 1500 in a box just HAIR bigger than the rem 1000 brick....