Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone ever shoot a 50-110 winchester

Boolit Master

anyone ever shoot a 50-110 winchester

im intrigued, found this place called lock stock and barrel and they are liquidating a huge lever gun collection and the one that really got my attention is an old custom winchester 1886 in 50-110. yeah I checked and starline is backordered on the brass, but this is better than them not taking any orders, might not be too long to get it. how much more shoulder bruising is it compared to a 45-70? any idea what one of those original winchesters is worth?

Boolit Grand Master

Original clean 50-110 Winchesters 86's command a premium. I know of one that sold for $11,000 this summer. The one you are looking at is rebore parts gun. Personally I would have a hard time giving $2,000 for it. My guess is it will sell for between 3K and 4K.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-24-2023 at 02:14 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I got a 76 in 50/95, not quite the same but it gives enough bump for all I need.

Should be like taking a hit from a wet mop to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Original clean 50-110 Winchesters 86's command a premium. I know of one that sold for $11,000 this summer. The one you are looking at is rebore parts gun. Personally I would have a hard time give $2,000 for it. My guess is it will sell for between 3K and 4K.
    I'd guess $6K to $9K. People go nutz over .50 cal lever guns, even if they are all hacked up.

Boolit Master

I built my own from a model 71. I had the barrel marked 50-100-450, same brass as the 50-110.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I built my own from a model 71. I had the barrel marked 50-100-450, same brass as the 50-110.
    John
    how much work on the internals to make it feed? I converted a 92 over from 25/20 to 38/40 (about as tricky as it gets I reckon)
    I have a Browning 71 in the safe, was gonna sell it but ......................a 50/110 conversion would halt that idea.......................dreaming dont hurt..............

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    John
    how much work on the internals to make it feed? I converted a 92 over from 25/20 to 38/40 (about as tricky as it gets I reckon)
    I have a Browning 71 in the safe, was gonna sell it but ......................a 50/110 conversion would halt that idea.......................dreaming dont hurt..............
    The inside of the frame needs to be opened up on the loading gate side so you can get those big fat cartridges in. Also the end of the lever has to be filed at an angle to allow the loading gate to open more. Guide rails need about .020" taken off. The carrier need to be opened up a bit. Chamber needs to be polished and rounded off on the bottom. Green Mountain has an octagon and round barrel for the 50 EX, the twist is 1 in 54". This twist will work for the 300 grain bullet but may not be good for heavier bullets. My barrel has a 1 in 28" twist.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the opportunity to shoot a 45-120 original Sharps with full loads. Even in the heavy Sharps, the recoil just didn't stop. You definitely need to roll with it. We were shooting balloons with it at 800 yards. Once in a while, we'd hit one. Lots of fun but the recoil is substantial.

The 50 cal anything is powerful, the 50-110 is a bruiser for sure with full power loads any why most download them quite a bit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The inside of the frame needs to be opened up on the loading gate side so you can get those big fat cartridges in. Also the end of the lever has to be filed at an angle to allow the loading gate to open more. Guide rails need about .020" taken off. The carrier need to be opened up a bit. Chamber needs to be polished and rounded off on the bottom. Green Mountain has an octagon and round barrel for the 50 EX, the twist is 1 in 54". This twist will work for the 300 grain bullet but may not be good for heavier bullets. My barrel has a 1 in 28" twist.
    thanks - proly a little easier than the 92 I did - a tad less complicated and more room to work - same basics.

Boolit Master
    Jeremy (leverguns 50) just posted a video showing a experimental rifled version of a model 87 shotgun --900 grain pill + 200grain blackpowder load in a brass 12 gauge case - and he reckoned he got 1425FPS. This bloke can shoot a lever gun and he likes heavy loads - this one set him back two steps each time he cycled it in rapid fire.

Boolit Buddy
    farmbif, I had an original 1886 rebored to 50-110actually 50-100-450 same everything except twist for the heavier bullets). I use the MP mold that has three pins for the same bullet, a flat point, a small HP, and a HUGE HP pin. These range in weight from 508 grains to 525 grains with my alloy. I use 5744 for powder. I called the powder company and they sent me tons of information. If I had a Model 71 or repop 1886 I could load that to maximum levels but considering that my steel is 125 years old I user mid level loads but a 508 grain HP at 1300 fps is still gonna leave a mark in anything it hits. The recoil is very similar to a 20 gauge slug gun. I watch Leverguns 50 use his 6000 foot pound load and I would not put that in my rifle....DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A LOT OF FUN EITHER!

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone make a replica in 50-110?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    farmbif, I had an original 1886 rebored to 50-110actually 50-100-450 same everything except twist for the heavier bullets). I use the MP mold that has three pins for the same bullet, a flat point, a small HP, and a HUGE HP pin. These range in weight from 508 grains to 525 grains with my alloy. I use 5744 for powder. I called the powder company and they sent me tons of information. If I had a Model 71 or repop 1886 I could load that to maximum levels but considering that my steel is 125 years old I user mid level loads but a 508 grain HP at 1300 fps is still gonna leave a mark in anything it hits. The recoil is very similar to a 20 gauge slug gun. I watch Leverguns 50 use his 6000 foot pound load and I would not put that in my rifle....DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A LOT OF FUN EITHER!
    yeah I reckon he pushes the limit - some of his loads have to be right out there pressure wise --- hes havin fun blowin up stuff though. Could have just as much fun with a little less risk I reckon.........................

Boolit Buddy
    I have two model 71 brownings converted to 50-100-450, think the twists are 1/24. I shoot 450 and 530 grain slugs. One a 22" and the other a src 18". These velocities are out of my 18". If you load them with 5744 around 1600fps its not bad at all( full power 30-30 is worse). approach 1800 and you start noticing, hit 2100 and you notice. I stopped at 2100 due to the fact My guns were built for point blank defense against bears even though I know I could go higher, but with recoil at that point follow up shots would be to far off the object. That 530 gr gc hardcast at 1650 will mow down anything in its path at close range. Its one hell of a slug. In a dirt bank the bullets expand to an inch, anything else they go through.

I have a 50-100-450, which is a big brother to the 50-110. They are extremely rare and quite a powerful round as a late comer in the black powder era. I bought some 50-110 brass just recently, it is available made by Starline.

I have shot a few gophers and a prairie dog or 2, but hope to kill a deer with it this fall. I am shooting a 310 grain bullet, which suits the 50-110 better, but 310 grain bullets are what I already have for my 2 50 express rifles and 50-70 Sharps carbine…

Boolit Grand Master

shrapnel that a gorgeous rifle!!!!!! Is that original wood?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Yes, the gun is totally original and letters with 14 special order features, including a rare wind gauge rear sight..

Boolit Grand Master

Wow that is truly awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously jealous.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast