Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Powder horn question

Powder horn question

Has anyone tried to use a laser engraver to etch on a powder horn? With the irregular shape, I was wondering if it is possible. I am thinking large areas of the horn, like a map or similar drawing.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Nope........ I would think that a laser-etched whatever would look too perfect for my tastes, on a powder horn.

I'm more into original-looking, rustic-style horns, like a frontiersman would have likely made/used (YMMV, of course).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

No experience with laser engraving. I would suspect the curve of the horn would make it problematic. I have found that push engravers like I use for metal engraving work well to “scrim” the design on powder horns. I have bit better control than a handle with a needle when cutting the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    No experience with laser engraving. I would suspect the curve of the horn would make it problematic. I have found that push engravers like I use for metal engraving work well to “scrim” the design on powder horns. I have bit better control than a handle with a needle when cutting the design.
    I have tried scrimshawing by hand, but I am NO artist. If I can get a design on the horn to trace, I only do a so-so job.

The curve of the horn is my concern. I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to overcome this.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Never tried Lazer but when I did my horn I used my vent pick then rubbed India ink in the scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post

The curve of the horn is my concern. I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to overcome this.

Practice, practice & practice - using short strokes ( aka: baby steps) on a firmly secured/supported horn ( like the horn held inside a piece of rough/heavy leather shoved down a little, between your legs/thighs, for support)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Practice, practice & practice - using short strokes ( aka: baby steps) on a firmly secured/supported horn ( like the horn held inside a piece of rough/heavy leather shoved down a little, between your legs/thighs, for support)
    Hip and lower back problems. I wouldn't be able to hold it like that without experiencing extreme pain.

Boolit Master
    The problem with using a laser to engrave a powder horn is the shape of the horn. A laser requires the laser maintain the same distance from the surface during the whole process. While there is some leeway, even a 1/4" will be too much change. There are some high end lasers that have a "Z" axis control, the distance change still has to be programmed in so the laser can move the Z axis to maintain the same distance.

With that all said, the horn could be chucked in a 3D type chuck so the horn would rotate too allow a small area of the horn to be engraved.

Boolit Grand Master

You would need to very accurately "map" the surface to maintain the shape. I would think f the z axis varies then the width of the line will fade and get wider or narrower

Boolit Bub
    Given the focus limitations of most laser markers, an alternative approach could be to print a flexible stencil on a Cricut or similar plotter.

If you think cutting and filing horns smells bad, consider the powerful burnt-hair stink a laser would make!