Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to shoot an M1 Garand for the first time Saturday.

Don’t be this guy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5108.jpg  

Well that was pretty boring.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Good video, sir!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Try drilling a small hole in the top of the pumpkin and filling it with water, never tried it but I suspect it would be like shooting water filled milk jugs

With a little more color.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Driver man View Post
    Well that was pretty boring.
    To you, apparently. To me, who had just fired my late father's M1 Garand for the first time, and any M1 Garand for that matter; it was actually very interesting.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Try drilling a small hole in the top of the pumpkin and filling it with water, never tried it but I suspect it would be like shooting water filled milk jugs

With a little more color.
    This.
    Or shoot watermelons instead!
    Controllable 30-06 power is where the M1 shines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I just can't do Any Youtube video at all...More B.S. than Content!!

Boolit Master
    It is fun to shoot something with some history behind it. I feel the same way when I shoot some of my father's and father-in-law's guns. I have a 1911 that came from my grandfather, M1 from FIL and he also gave me a Mauser broomhandle that was given to him by a participant in the Boer wars.

Boring? Well, to me it is boring watching other people shoot. I want to be the one doing the shooting

Congratulations on enjoying the firearms. It really is something not many get to experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for sharing. I enjoy shooting "family" guns.

Boolit Grand Master

During rattle battle You won't hear the ping. A friend got in 6 Garand rifles in 1984 and we needed to shoot up military ammo to reload. We would shoot a rifle till the oil was cooking out of the stock, switch guns and keep shooting. Out target was a small boulder at 200 yards and we reduced it to gravel. Next day I couldn't lift my arm! Big fun!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Way cool.

I think the thumb thing is when you push down the follower to drop the bolt (using only one hand)
    and don't get your thumb out of the way fast enough. The bolt closes with much 'authority'.

When I had a Garand, I held the bolt handle with one hand, and push the follower down with the other.
    Then eased the bolt past the magazine follower
    The Garand is designed to load with one hand. That's why the end of the Op Rod has a curve in it. You place the fleshy part of your hand (below your little finger) in the curve to hold the op rod, push down the clip with your thumb. then lift your whole hand all together to get out of the way and release the op rod.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Start the loaded clip into the magazine w/o depressing the follower with the right hand with the thumb on top of the clip [properly loaded clip will have the top round on the right side]. At the same time put put the palm side of the right had alongside the oprod with the fingers extended along the right side of the stock and, most importantly, the knife edge of the right hand just touching the curved portion of the oprod handle. then push the loaded clip into the magazine well. If the oprod goes foreword after insertion of the clip the oprod will then push the hand and the thumb out of the way.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    The Garand is a great rifle. I had one for years before giving it to my younger brother. No one on this thread has mentioned it yet, so I think I'll throw in my 2 cents. The Garand was designed to operate using ammo that fell into a specific spectrum of bullet weights, powder charges, and powder burn rates. Too light of a charge and the action wouldn't cycle. Too heavy a charge, or too slow a powder, and the action would actuate with enough force to bend the operating rod or cause other problems. The action itself is rock solid and very strong. The weak link is the mechanisms that cycle the action. So long as the ammunition falls within acceptable parameters there will never be any problems. It's when you try to use hotter loads than the rifle was designed for that you can get into trouble.

If you keep your handloads around 150 grain bullets at 2700 fps using IMR-4895 you'll be solid gold. You probably shouldn't use over 180 grain jacketed bullets with service loads. (though heavier cast bullet loads will be fine) With jacketed service loads faster burning rifle powders as well as really slower magnum powders should be avoided. Middle of the road burning rate rifle powders are what work best in the Garand. It's a really versatile rifle, but it can't be loaded over a broad range like a bolt action. You should really look online for information about "reloading for the M1 Garand", because there are lots of loads that work great in it, but others that can hurt it.

Boolit Buddy

I was in junior ROTC in high school. Closed the bolt many times as described above with no problem. While in Basic I did not move my thumb quick enough. I had that mashed fingernail for months. No problems since. I love the M1. Just a note, all the M1s issued to the students (Yes we were each assigned one) were fully functional (yes including firing pins) and we had Several BARs and Mi911s all functional. I graduated in 1956 so I guess time change.

Boolit Grand Master

Never got a Garand thumb from a Garand in maybe 5K fired. I did get one with an M-14 single loading during the 2 rounds of single loading for sighters for 300yard rapids. For whatever reason the bolt didn't catch on the bolt stop. It did catch on the mag. follower. When I thumbed the round into the mag it caught me big time.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    Back in the days, was trying to find to shoot A rifle at the range ,liked the Galil in .223, but later found out , it was a cartridge killer , one day i was given a stock M1 , man i was sold within 1 clip. never went back for any rifle , have standard one , 1943 and a M1C 1944 , with a pristine barrel. still reloading for that one with a 150 grain flatbase 30 30 point. and yes i shot at 100 meters consistently trhough te same hole. not any more sadly , a bit older so to speak , over the hill ,eyes tremors and so on..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12