RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Is Belt Clip on Ruger LCP Safe to Use?

Is Belt Clip on Ruger LCP Safe to Use?

Hello folks, Happy Friday.

Just the other day, I picked up a nice, gently used Ruger LCP in .380. Haven't fired it yet, but it appears to be in great shape. A touch of cosmetic wear, but otherwise perfect.

One issue I would like to ask an expert opinion on. The pistol has an attached aftermarket belt clip. I like it, actually. If I put the pistol at 1:00, I can hide it even under just a t-shirt. (I'm a small guy--6' and 150--not much padding to hide anything).

However, the LCP does not have an external safety. And I was told by 3 separate people who I consider experts (one, an MP/Embassy guard from the Marine Corp--legit firearms expert) that a holster requires both retention, and at the very least, it needs to have the trigger covered. So that one can draw the weapon, with no chance of the trigger getting grabbed by either your finger or your clothing.

I'm sure I don't have to explain my concern here--a .380, pointed directly at my manhood, without a safety. It makes me nervous. With care, on the range, it would be one thing. On the street, in a stress/SD situation? I would HATE to draw, and BANG! Pulverize my frank and beans in the process. If not, drive one into my femoral artery. I'd be dead in 30 seconds from a wound like that.

What's the verdict here? Is a belt clip a safe CCW carry? Or lose it, and pick up a suitable holster?

Thanks for any words on it. I'm an avid shooter, but do not consider myself an expert in any way. Certainly not an expert in micro-pistols like this.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master
    I don't think any kind of pocket carry is really safe myself. Theoritically there are holsters that will stay prpoerly oriented in your pocket so that the gun is accessible in a hurry AND also grap your pocket material so that you don't draw the gun and holster. Maybe they exist but it makes me nervous that the gun is going to work its way out of the holster and leave the trigger exposed. The clips you are talking about are in the same category for me. If I have a gun strapped on me, i want the trigger covered with a material hard enough to absolutely prevent an accidental firing. My 2 methods for concealed carry is the Blackhawk Serpa I think it's called, which is a locking holster that covers the trigger guard. I use this for both my 40 S&W Glocks. I use a Sneaky Pete for my LCP. When using those holsters I have zero fears of accidentally shooting myself.

That is my gut feeling on it too. Yikes, a .380 pointed at my boys? I have to wonder how many self-inflicted wounds happen, shoving a loaded gun down the pants?

I think I'm going to remove the clip. I like the Sneaky Pete--thanks for brining that up. I was halfway thinking about it.

Anyway, yeah, I think this belt clip either needs to go, or I need to carry on an empty chamber. But a loaded pistol with nothing covering the trigger, pointed potentially at my manhood just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It's comfortable, and I think a cool idea. But in practice I think I really don't like it. Probably ok--but the consequences if I'm wrong are very serious.

Boolit Master
    I have one; carry with an empty chamber; JMHO.

Boolit Buddy
    For those that like to carry at the 1 or 2 o'clock I've seen this small kydex piece that snaps over the trigger guard, there's a short string attached that snaps it off as you draw. the string goes on your belt or belt loop.
    The kydex piece covers the trigger for peace of mind, if I can find a link I'll post it here.
    found a video, it's called Mexican carry, I guess with the clip it's a little modified.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mww-DQBbtfc
    Last edited by tunnug; 10-20-2023 at 07:54 PM. Reason: add video
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Thank you for that! I did also receive a weird Kydex thing with a rope and could not figure out what the deal was. Obviously not for putting over your neck...

That might be a plan. The clip is a secure and well retained situation. With the trigger covered, I'd feel a lot better about it.
    Thanks for that info

I have an original model LCP that I pocket carried for years. No holster, just loose in the pocket. When I got it, it had the clip. I found that when placed in the waist band of the pants that it was hard to access. I also did not like carrying it clipped in the pocket. The first model has a very heavy trigger pull (at least the two I have did. I was not worried about (I hate to use the term) accidental discharge. I also did not carry anything else in that pocket.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a Ruger 380 but I do pocket carry a S&W EZ 380 in my Duluth Firehose Cargo Pants. I use a Remora pocket holster and it just fits and you could not tell I was carrying. I use that combo for things like doc appointments or when it is to warm for my carry vest (carry a 357 sig till I get some range time with my 10mm). There is no safety on my 380 and I always carry with one in the chamber with no worries at all. I'm also 6' but 205 and hate anything near my stomach. Good luck.
    Ron

Down here, “Mexican Carry” has always meant that the handgun is carried holsterless inside the waistband.
    I use the Remora sticky holster for my LCP(and others) butt forward at 4 o’clock. I’m 6’2” and 200 lbs.
    Back when I was a 150 lb “Stick”- I could Mexican carry a 1911……..

Boolit Master

Don't remove the clip. It helps secure in the pocket holster, AND comes in handy now and then.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

FWIW, I've carried my LCP .380 inside my pant's waist via a blued belt clip for over 8 years w/o issue.

Before I acquired the LCP, I carried a Kel-Tec P-32 the same way, also w/o any issues.

I CCW'd both with the pistol held between the inside of my pants, but outside the shirt - the only thing in view was the blued clip, nearly the same color as my pants

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I got a sneaky pete for the XDs, cannot draw from it. Neat idea but bulky and obvious carry.
    Whatever!