Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45 Colt BP

Boolit Master

45 Colt BP

I don't know why it took me so long to shoot Goex in my Ruger Vaquero.
    Shoot muzzleloaders and black powder shotshells all the time.
    I swear never to shoot that filthy smokeless or j words in a 45 Colt again.
    A little extra work cleaning a six shooter, really no big deal. I'm hooked now

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Not sure about your Vaquero, but a coat of lard (or Crisco) on the cylinder pin of my 1858 Remington (C&B and CCC) helps keep things running smooth.
    What charge are you playing with?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Not sure about your Vaquero, but a coat of lard (or Crisco) on the cylinder pin of my 1858 Remington (C&B and CCC) helps keep things running smooth.
    What charge are you playing with?
    Ya, I slicked up the base pin with bore butter first. Using a 454190 cast with soft lead and homemade lube.
    Added 2.20cc scoop of 2f Goex . It is 32.4 grains so the chart shows.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    A decent load, I like it. 40gr ffg and a 255gr slug (Army spec load) will get your attention!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded 45 Colt with 22 grains of Jim Shocky Gold powder and 250grain cast bullet with a 71/2 inch barrel that cronographed between 636 and 670 FPS.

I have tried black (fffg), forty grains of it, in the .45 Colt. It’s a healthy load, but strangely has a softer recoil than equivalent smokeless loads. Go figure.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    40 grains of Goex 3f and a 255 gr bullet yields around 850 fps from my 5.5 in "new" model vaquero. Just a touch over 1000fps from my winchester 94 trapper.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub
    Loaded Bpcr cartridge for years , just tried 31.5 gr of oe2f with 250 grain lead bullet
    Kind of stout for a 45 colt vaquero pistol. Question, can there be air space in this cartridge
    Or is that a no no. 31.5 grains gave me about 1/8” compression. No card wad.

Anybody use bigger boolits with bp. Like 260-330 grain, like to know how they work, pressure spikes or anything. A vaquero could certainly handle then but my little conversion might come apart. Curiosity killed the cat.

.45 Colt single shot rifles offer unique flexibility for loading black.
    You can use a bore rider design boolit to preserve your powder space or depending upon the type of action muzzle load your boolits with heavier charges.

This is a heavy bore rider for smokeless loads to take advantage of the single shots fast twist. At the upper left is the initial design concept. Something similar could work well with black if it had less length inside the case and a deeper lube groove.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 10-25-2023 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    Anybody use bigger boolits with bp. Like 260-330 grain, like to know how they work, pressure spikes or anything. A vaquero could certainly handle then but my little conversion might come apart. Curiosity killed the cat.
    Use caution. Elmer Keith blew up a couple of SAAs with heavy bullet black powder loads. There’s a Youtube video about this subject, the channel is Everything Black Powder. Good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Use caution. Elmer Keith blew up a couple of SAAs with heavy bullet black powder loads. There’s a Youtube video about this subject, the channel is Everything Black Powder. Good luck!
    Elmer wrote about that one. A 300 grain rifle bullet, probably a bullet pulled from the 45-90, and a case full of blackpowder. The case head split (he was using what today we call balloon head cases), blew off the loading gate and sliced his hand. Had the case held, it would have just been a shot.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

FYI:

I've pressure tested GOEX 4fg and Cartridge in the 45 Colt under the 454190 bullet cast of 20-1 and weighing 255 gr. In W-W cases a charge by weight of 35 gr was a slightly compressed load and is all I tested. The psi runs 12,500 and 13,500 psi. The 4fg ran the lowest psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry, it almost seems counterintuitive that the FFFFg gave the lowest pressures. I am surprised.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Larry, it almost seems counterintuitive that the FFFFg gave the lowest pressures. I am surprised.
    I was too! However, thinking about it, 40 gr by weight of either does not equal the same volume. Thus, the 40 gr of BP will contain only so much energy especially given the same case volume after some compression. I think the pressure would have been reversed had i load "by volume" as it would have taken a bit more 4fg to equal the same volume as the Cartridge BP powder.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-29-2023 at 03:43 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry, I think your analysis is correct.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I was too! However, thinking about it, 40 gr by weight of either does not equal the same volume. Thus, the 40 gr of BP will contain only so much energy especially given the same case volume after some compression. I think the pressure would have been reversed had i load "by volume" as it would have taken a bit more 4fg to equal the same volume as the Cartridge BP powder.
    interesting!! I am thinking maybe you get slower initial ignition with the FFFFG due to it being compressed more like a solid plug (less air space between the grains) ??
    Or is it just down to quality ? Goex Cartridge was a premium powder
    FFFFg could be either floor sweepings -----OR specially formulated for better ignition in flinters in which case it would have higher sulphur content and a bit less energy
    if the FFFFg was any other brand ???? Wano (Schuetzen) generates significantly less velocity per gram specially under lighter projectiles