RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it? 30-06 blown out

Boolit Master
    In comparing published dimensions, it looks like a .411 Hawk that was fired in a .400 Whelen chamber. That sounds like a really weird combination but the numbers are similar.

The .170 long neck shoots down every suggestion so far.

Any other guesses?

Boolit Master

Hey Good Cheer, was there pieces of that rifle left on the range after shooting an 8mm in a 30-06. The last one many years ago that I saw pictures of was a total wreck. Magazine blown out the bottom, top of the receiver split, stock shattered into several pieces and the bolt sticking up at a very slight angle. If I remember right, the guy who pulled the trigger lost a finger or two and had to have shrapnel pulled out of his face but was wearing safety glasses that saved his eyes. Very early in my career I had a bad habit of picking up brass or whatever on the range. One day I picked up a 30-06? left on a bench and fired it just to get the brass case. Turned out it was a 25-06 and so stated on the headstamp if I had just bothered to look. That was the last time I put a cartridge in the chamber that I had not identified the headstamp first. Live and learn, james

I would certainly think if you have a wildcat wouldn't you save the cartridge cases?
    I recall about 10 or 15 yrs ago someone was promoting magnum performance in standard 30-06 based cases. They had a whole series from probably 257 up to 375 or 400. They all had very short necks like 1/8" or so. Also had a very sharp shoulder angle and minimal body taper.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I would certainly think if you have a wildcat wouldn't you save the cartridge cases?
    I recall about 10 or 15 yrs ago someone was promoting magnum performance in standard 30-06 based cases. They had a whole series from probably 257 up to 375 or 400. They all had very short necks like 1/8" or so. Also had a very sharp shoulder angle and minimal body taper.
    I think this was reloading room clean out, there was a number of what appeared to be wildcat cases, including one that had "fired day of blow up" in Sharpie on the case. The gun may not exist anymore.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    375-06 AI ? Gibbs did a deal , the 30 or 300 caught my eye it looked like a 308 reamer more or less run out to 2.5 case length.

May have been an effort to get 40-65 results in a rimless case , the 06' blown straight is all but identical case capacity to the 45-70 . Blown straight the 284 Win is a 45-70 with a .473 rim .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

40 Gibbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    40 Gibbs.
    Got a drawing, I can't find any reference to a 40 Gibbs. 240 Gibbs, yes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I shamefully admit that I fired an entire 8 rd. M1 Garand clip loaded with .308 Win. (7.62mm Nato) ammo in a Garand one time. That's just about exactly how the results appeared. It kicked like a mule! Afterward, I was picking up brass and thought to myself, "I guess somebody didn't want this .45-70 brass!" Then I looked at the headstamp, and then thought about my aching shoulder, and 2+2 = 4.

DG
    I cannot figure why it would raise pressure?? All of my Fireform loads are lower Pressure.. certainly would be with that much Boolit Jump!! Me thinks????

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Got a drawing, I can't find any reference to a 40 Gibbs. 240 Gibbs, yes.
    I don't any more. But basically a 400 whelen with about as short a neck as is possible. May be in the Ken Howell book, I'll have to look.

Boolit Master
    I looked through the George Nonte book and found nothing to help in this search. Metric, British and American, it was all the same answer that if the bullet diameter is .400, the rim measured in the .500" or larger diameter. As the parent case is 30'06 with a .473" rim diameter, I vote for a later designed American wildcat that has not yet found its way into the "cartridge conversion" books.

Boolit Master
    If its not a big club I bet you can figure out who's it is and ask him. I'll bet he wears a vest with patches on it, and he eats sandwiches at the bench. I'll bet he looks like Edward Everett Horton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edward everett horton.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	319177

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Horse View Post
    If its not a big club I bet you can figure out who's it is and ask him. I'll bet he wears a vest with patches on it, and he eats sandwiches at the bench. I'll bet he looks like Edward Everett Horton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edward everett horton.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	319177
    Hey! I miss Fractured Fairy Tales!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    400 Whelan Improved???
    Good one!

Boolit Grand Master

I have to wonder if it is a wildcat someone came up with. Seems odd to have such a short neck though.

There are a couple of 444 rimless wildcats based on .308 brass blown out or for a longer version, .30-06 brass blown out then sized to suit .429" bullets but those are straight wall cartridges. You said the case mouth measures 0.400". I wonder if someone decided to try similar using .40 cal bullets and just neck sized in a .40 cal. die? How the owner would have chambered the barrel...?

There is also the .400 PDK based on .30-06 basic brass but it is a longer case at 2.65" and is 0.411" inside the neck.

I've got nothing else! I am curious to see if you find out just what it is though.

Good luck!

Longbow

I know it doesn’t make any sense being a rimless case but I have an early single shot Comblain that was probably once a fine rook rifle now it’s chambered for a short 2.3” 410 shotshell. If a 30-06 was fire formed in my gun it would look just like the casing that was pictured.
    I cut down 2 1/2” 410 hulls for it. If someone was playing around trying to make a similar gun from an old Mauser it could be they were looking for a cheap all brass shotshell for a homemade experimental gun ? A late friend of mine did many experimental guns using a 410 for the case. I will be offering one of his rifles for sale sometime soon it’s a Marlin 336 that he sent to JES and had the 30-30 barrel bored and rifled for a .412” bullet and his ammo was loaded on Winchester AA HS plastic casings. I seen him shoot a 600 lb. Red Deer and a couple hogs with it.
    It’s a pretty neat rifle but not everyone’s cup of tea.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 10-27-2023 at 06:19 PM.

Boolit Man
    Some NON-Einstein wondering what would happen if you shot 30-06 ammo out of a 410 shotgun,
    Last edited by NObamain2012; 10-29-2023 at 08:31 PM. Reason: misspell

Boolit Master

Shame you did not see when the guy was shooting so we would know.

It is way to long for the .460 Raptor a round I find interesting were the .308 / 30-06 cases are shortened and loaded with data and bullets for the S&W .460 Magnum . I have thought it would be great in a Remington 760 pump rifle for brush work.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

As a range master and match director, have seen this happen several times at our club, usually involved a deceased shooter/reloader. Ammo can not be shipped in household goods by movers. So folks bring ammo and brass to a range and throw it into the range trash cans, when in the process of moving.
    Obviously a wildcat cartridge. Reamer makers will cut any cartridge/chamber reamer to any drawing that fits on their computer screen. So looking for a wildcat in a book, is a waste of otherwise usable time.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by NObamain2012 View Post
    Some NON-Einstein wondering what would happen if you shot 30-06 ammo out of a 410 shotgun,
    The 30-06 has a smaller case body than the .410 does. The 30-06 stops about an inch away from the breech- it won’t fire thank goodness.
    But a 30-30 might depending on the rim recess in the .410; and a .45 Colt will-but it’s a horrible idea to send a .452” barrel down a .410” bore and Through a Full Choke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast