RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 less rattlesnake!

better to vent your ire at bee,s, they kill more people than snakes in the usa.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0612.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	319297rattle snake i ran into in spring turkey season, i didn,t kill it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0611.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	319298
    Last edited by eastbank; 10-26-2023 at 04:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've never seen a rattlesnake in the wild. Plenty of copperheads and moccasins. Copperheads don't bother me but water moccasins, I don't care for.

Killed every timber/prairie rattler I could using 2x4, shovels, hoe and a 357 Smith with my own loads; Just to many around the farm biting our dogs, cats calves and almost me more than once! Our cattle dogs would bark like crazy whenever they found one so I'd get whatever tool was handy and kill it..Farms have mice and they attract snakes, it's a constant issue pending where one lives. I don't hate snakes and never have I killed a Bull snake or any non poisonous snake but those dang rattlers are just bad!

Boolit Master

Plain old garden hoe makes a terrific snake killer. I have never killed a non-poisonous snake but never allowed a poisonous one to live long. too many children around and too many housewives who like to work in their flowers, a favorite habitat for Copperheads. Also the bean patch or in the Potatoe patch. I knew one lady who had been bitten 2 or 3 time while working in her bean patch. The first bite nearly killed her but the succeeding bites cased less problem as her immune system was adapting to her bites. In her old age she moved into town to get away from snakes as much as anything. She was a fine Christian lady and I learned a lot of positive things from her that stood me in good in later years. james

Boolit Master

As a kid in Arizona we lived in a Trailer outside Luke A.F.B. the trailer park manager bragged he never shot a rattle snake just used his shovel . A widow a few trailers up from us called him saying there was a huge rattler under her trailer and bring a gun . He drove down with his shovel bragged about never shooting a snake . Looking under the trailer he went home and brought back his shotgun the rattler was 8 feet long . After he shot it he skinned it and put the body out in the desert a 1/4 mile away .As that snake rotted it stunk up the entire area for a few days!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

In Texas, rattlesnakes are now protected by law. They can't be killed unless they are a threat to you.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    In Texas, rattlesnakes are now protected by law. They can't be killed unless they are a threat to you.
    Don't confess! Kind of like the wolves in Montana. Shoot-shovel-and shut up.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The Eastern Timber Rattler is protected, but I don’t think that the Diamondback is.
    I’m like Sgt. Shultz….”I see nothing”…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I kill any snake I see just like a Hatfield would kill a McCoy. I despise rats and know that snakes eat rats and mice but I'd rather have mice crawling around in my bed at night than to have a snake on the far edge of my property. I've shot green snakes with a 12 gauge. If a snake wants to live it better stay clear of me. They are in the same category as coyotes - never let either species be seen without taking a shot at it.

Boolit Bub
    I kind of agree with murf205. Don't advertise, and follow the three "S" routine.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    I kill any snake I see just like a Hatfield would kill a McCoy. I despise rats and know that snakes eat rats and mice but I'd rather have mice crawling around in my bed at night than to have a snake on the far edge of my property. I've shot green snakes with a 12 gauge. If a snake wants to live it better stay clear of me. They are in the same category as coyotes - never let either species be seen without taking a shot at it.
    I guess everyone has their phobias, mine are, never mind, I will most likely get banned.

Boolit Buddy
    In August, I had a copperhead come into my tractor shed while I was there working. He didn't live long. I need to make lighter 410 loads for my sawed off 410. 1/2 oz of #10 was more than needed.

Copperheads and water moccasins don't live. Rattlesnakes, if not close to house or barn, may get a pass.

Boolit Master
    I regret having killed non venomous snakes in the past. In Texas rattlesnake roundups are popular events resulting in large numbers of rattlesnakes killed. They put gasoline in den areas to make the snakes exit. I'm not sure that these events are a good idea. Yes, I will pop one at my house.

Boolit Master
    I kill every rattle snake I can but go to great lengths to save bull snakes! .... even right in my yard

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

When I was in the TN Army Guard, we used to train at Camp Shelby, MS. One year, as we were setting up the Tactical Operations Center (TOC) the Brigade XO killed a rattler with a stick. Someone thought it would be a good idea to leave it curled up near the TOC entrance just under the camo nets. People entering would jump out of their skin when they saw it. So along came a sergeant who had accumulated a lifetime maximum of redneck points. He knew just what to do with the dead snake, grabbed it and ran off. A short time later he returned with a big pan full of fried rattler, which by the way is not bad at all. Not exactly like chicken though.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    Have not saw any rattlers all year till this month. Saw two that are now deceased.

Boolit Master
    I am an old farmer who had to spend hundreds of dollars to get 42 quills pulled out of my loyal dog's face by the vet. Next year a rattler nearly killed my Golden, but he survived $260.00 later at the vet. I do not kill much, but every poisonous snake, porky and other threatening vermin gets "smoked."

Greenies can love ALL things, but have they ever lived with the results? If they leave their luxury apartments, walk in the snake infested woods or their nearby flowerbeds, would they ever learn? Yes, after they bury a beloved pet, take a kid to the ER bitten by a rabid animal. I have shot copperheads by the porch and a porky beside my front door. The real world is NOT Disneyland!

Adam

Amen to that. By the way, if you chop 'em up, roll them in flour, salt, pepper and paprika...a few seconds in a hot frying pan, they taste pretty good.....watch out for bones.
    Like my Grand Dad used to say, "God put snakes on earth to make boots out of".
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    We have the Northern Diamondback's in Pennsylvania. Many years ago growing up there were rattlesnake hunts to get as many out of the woods. Since the snake feeds primarily on rodents mainly mice we have had a large increase in Lyme disease. The mouse is the carrier of the Lyme disease. The ticks that are carried by the mice infect them. Farmers, woodsman, gardeners, loggers and people that spend alot of time outdoors are most likely to come in contact with a Lyme tick. My neighbor and his family raised a large flock of sheep. Richard contracted Lyme and it went undetected for a long time. It altered his life as the disease progress until it was finally detected. Yeah Hog snakes, Black and King snakes really reduce the mice population but the mass killing of rattlesnakes has greatly allowed the Lyme disease carrying mice to proliferate this terrible disease. I have had to take a couple two week doses of Doxicycliene after a big red bullseye appeared after getting bitten by a Lyme tick. Yeah I am careful where I walk in the woods not to stumble upon a Timber rattler and always check for a tick that may have hitched a ride on me. But look out for the red bullseye at the bite site! Time to get to the doc and get a scrip for Doxicycliene. Think about that next time you blast a snake!!!
    Have you been putting out tick tubes? If you haven’t, maybe give it a try. I wouldn’t try to cover 100 acres, but I do 5 around the house.

Tick tubes are toilet paper tubes stuffed with cotton balls that have been sprayed with permethrin and allowed to dry. The mice find and use the cotton as bedding, it kills the ticks in the process.

Boolit Master

A Game and Fish Officer told my Dad to put out mothballs around his house and property to keep the skunks away that were a source of problems for him. He told Dad that they would also keep other small pests as well as bugs away. I don't recall that he mentioned snakes or not. I tried it and it does work on bugs around the house foundation. james

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast