WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Finally, our first hard frost.

Boolit Master

Finally, our first hard frost.

Which means I can go mushroom hunting now that the ticks are knocked back. Will be looking for Birch polypore and Turkey Tail for medicinal use.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Wow! Interesting. We had our first snow white frost about 2 weeks ago, and now the area is presently inundated with mushroom pickers. All of the local cheapie motels are full up. Most of what gets harvested here is for food and gets sent to Japan. Some folks actually make just about enough money to support themselves the rest of the year, but they're exceptions I believe. I've never been mushroom hunting, and probably wouldn't know what to do with them if I ran across some, or which to cook and which to leave alone.

About 8 or 9 years ago I was sitting in a bank chatting with a lady bank officer. About what exactly I don't remember, but we were making small talk while waiting for some decision to be made by someone else. I asked her if she had any hobbies, and she replied that she and her husband liked to go mushroom picking in the mountains. I was somewhat taken aback as she was on the smallish side and so business looking. I said that I'd read in the paper that some mushroom pickers had been "held up" by a couple of armed guys while walking along a trail carrying their harvest. She replied, "Oh, yes-- you have to keep that possibility in mind. I carry a .357."

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow! Interesting. We had our first snow white frost about 2 weeks ago, and now the area is presently inundated with mushroom pickers. All of the local cheapie motels are full up. Most of what gets harvested here is for food and gets sent to Japan. Some folks actually make just about enough money to support themselves the rest of the year, but they're exceptions I believe. I've never been mushroom hunting, and probably wouldn't know what to do with them if I ran across some, or which to cook and which to leave alone.

About 8 or 9 years ago I was sitting in a bank chatting with a lady bank officer. About what exactly I don't remember, but we were making small talk while waiting for some decision to be made by someone else. I asked her if she had any hobbies, and she replied that she and her husband liked to go mushroom picking in the mountains. I was somewhat taken aback as she was on the smallish side and so business looking. I said that I'd read in the paper that some mushroom pickers had been "held up" by a couple of armed guys while walking along a trail carrying their harvest. She replied, "Oh, yes-- you have to keep that possibility in mind. I carry a .357."

DG
    Interesting. I had one family ask if they could pick mushrooms on my property. No idea what they found as they have since moved. Like DG, I have zero experience or knowledge on which mushrooms to pick though I do like eating them. I have 81 acres of mountain property.

Boolit Master
    it's kind of a shame that the Morrel mushrooms coincide with deer tick season. I used to hunt those to eat before the tick thing got so serious.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"