Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I wanted Reloading tools made

If I wanted Reloading tools made

If a guy had a idea for something regarding reloading/casting where would be a good place or person to talk to about getting something spun up ? I'm not a machinist and don't want to market anything just would like to see if something could be made and mabye get a prototype.
    Thanks
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

There are several members who are machinists. Perhaps if you could give a basic idea of what you need the right ones will be able to PM any details.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Lee has made specialty one-off tools for me in the past. You may need to make a drawing for the item you want.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Grand Master

PM me a sketch of what you want, I may be able to help you out.

Boolit Master
    dont know what you have in mind but seems these days a lot of people start out by having things made with 3d printing first. too bad your not closer I could probably hook you up with an old 9 inch south bend lathe to learn metal turning on.

Boolit Master
    Magma Engineering has the following statement on their website"

Oh Sure, we sell bullet molds, bullet casting machines and more, but are you aware of our other services? Call us to learn about our:
    Steel Sales
    Welding Work
    Machine Work
    And Fabrication

Boolit Grand Master

Most machine shop rates start at $80 an hour and mostly are much more. Retired machinists or hobby machinists like Country Gent are a better option.

If you want design help I am more than willing. I am in the process of moving my two Bridgeport mills and Hardinge Lathe. Then it's a wait on an electrician friend.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-18-2023 at 09:45 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the shops around here wont take a walk in or one off any more. There are some that specialize in RD work but not many. Being medically retired I enjoy having something to do, but working from the wheel chair does slow me down some.

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted to get a custom die drilled and cut at the local Machine shop. It was a month wait just to even have them look at it. Sheesh. Now I see why the farmers throw the broken shaft in the truck and head to the city.

Moderator Emeritus

I can't answer your question. While I have done a few things in that realm and have had a few things done by others in that realm, I've learned that each machinist/welder have their own capabilities. So to some, your idea may be doable, and to others in may not. Unless you are worried about someone stealing your idea, you would be best off to give a thorough explaination here.

12 years ago, I had an idea for a improved handle and linkage for the Lyman 45. Here is the thread about it. Sadly, Photobucket no longer supports those photos. But in post #31 there is a image of my second revision. Bonus, in the 45th post, someone shared a neat idea for mold handles made from tin snips.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-lubsizr/page2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Give us a general description of what you have in mind ...
    Maybe one of us can give you a direction on who to talk to about it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Most machine shop rates start at $80 an hour and mostly are much more. Retired machinists or hobby machinists like Country Gent are a better option.

If you want design help I am more than willing. I am in the process of moving my two Bridgeport mills and Hardinge Lathe. Then it's a wait on an electrician friend.
    You can't possibly need two Bridgeports. I couldn't possibly shoehorn one into the shop or I'd be telling you to send the spare to me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    You can't possibly need two Bridgeports. I couldn't possibly shoehorn one into the shop or I'd be telling you to send the spare to me!

You are correct I don't really need two since I am the only one that runs them at home, but one has a Bridgeport 'E' slotter/shaper head on the backside and the other has a cherrying head on the back side plus I normally leave the right-angle head on the front for horizontal type jobs.

Most people have never seen let alone used a cherrying head.

Start at about 9:30 to see in operation.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-19-2023 at 05:08 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Shaper head attachment

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I dont know about not needing a second mill or lathe/ I have went the other machine to do work while the one is set up. Its nice to open up a dore then go to the other lathe to make the bushing to press in after you know what you need.

Im currently looking for a shaper, another mill (prefer a dpms with prototrac controller) possibly a smaller horizontal machine. And possibly a newer surface grinder

Boolit Master

I have been making pilots for case trimmers for years.
    I have a collection of Forester case trimmers that I bought at gun shows just to get the pilot. Usually folks would sell the whole trimmer for the price of the pilot.
    I also make neck expanders for myself for lee dies. I made a 0.416" expander to open up 30/06 brass so i could turn it into 9.3x62 for the lee neck expander.
    I have made chamber swages for 22 rimfire and 17 hmr to swage back firing pin damage from dry firing.

I have modified Lee case trimmer studs to calibers Lee never made,
    It is easier to do myself than to wait 3 weeks for a part from the USA or up to a year for a Canadian importer to get the part.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    I'm not a machinist and don't want to market anything just would like to see if something could be made and maybe get a prototype.
    After reading your posts for several years I'm thinking you need to fix that. Your future is that of a hobby machinist. You just don't know it yet.

Boolit Master
    ii agree with ed. turning metal on a lathe is not that difficult to do basic easy stuff like I would do, but once you get a machine the sky is the limit with what you can learn to do with the right materials and tooling.
    like the instructor told us in school. with a lathe and a mill you can make a lathe and a mill. not that I ever learned the skills to do such but your a young guy and if you keep your eyes open for an old lathe it can pay for itself real quick with the way everything is going up in cost. and finding raw materials for cheap is not that hard once you realize a few passes with a cutting tool removes all rust down to fresh shiny metal to work with.

Boolit Master

The ability to produce accurate drawings goes a long way in communicating what you are trying to accomplish and reduces the amount of time that the machinist needs to spend away from the machines actually making the parts.
    This will reduce your cost.
    If someone brings me a broken part to make a replacement it can take an hour to get precise dimensions and make a drawing to take into the shop to refer to while at the machine.

I am copying a Spanish Destroyer bolt and each little part took a couple of hours to measure and draw.
    It does not help that the dimensions are metric!
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 10-21-2023 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    It does not help that the dimensions are metric!

That's a true fact!!!

Even worse when the prints have both written on it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast