Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does a lube sizer work ?

How does a lube sizer work ?

Like anyone have a detailed explanation of how these things work past you push a bullet in and it sizes and lubes it ? A video preferably ( I'm a visual learner). Actually if someone has a picture of a lube sizer die completely disassembled or a cut away that would be great. Got some stuff in my head I'm thinking on and need to see the inner working of one of these things to see if my design would work.
    I have two lube sizers at home but honestly never messed with them for a few reasons
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 10-18-2023 at 03:50 AM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Do a quickie search for 'Lyman sizer die', then click images.
    There's a bunch of 'em.

Basically, if you have say--- a new boolit that comes out of the mold at .455 inches in diameter.
    But it needs to be say,,, .452 inches to work right in your 1911.

Press it down in the .452 sizer, when it bottoms out, turn the handle on the lube chamber.
    It squeezes lube around the die, and into the lube rings on the boolit through the holes in the side of the die.

There is a pin in the sizer die that follows the boolit down, keeps lube from squirting out under the boolit,
    and lets the linkage in the sizer press push the boolit back up.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

The Lee system is a little different, but search 'Lee push through sizer' and click 'images'.
    I works about the same way, just on your press, but doesn't lube the boolit as it goes through it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-18-2023 at 01:14 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    The concept requires you push the bullet into a sizing die and then the lube (under a little pressure) flows into the lube groove and then you eject the bullet back out the top. It's a very easy process if you have the right equipment.

I can't imagine trying to design something comparable. If the tolerances aren't exact the lube will flow everywhere. Most lubes have to be heated up a bit to flow. However if you overheat, the lube will want to flow everywhere. The sizing dies have little holes in the sides so that lube can flow from the Lubesizer, through the sizing dies into the bullet lube grooves. All these have to be fit perfectly otherwise it's a big mess.

I have bought 2 complete setups for around $100 which included sizing dies and top punches. The top punches are used to push the bullet into the Lubesizer with the correct nose profile. Try to use a SWC profile on a RN bullets and you'll end up with a ring on the bullet nose.

I bought a used Lyman unit [orange] and was given the second [needed serious cleaning]. I swapped parts to get the same handle style on both. One stays set up for 452 while the other gets swapped around between 30 cal and 6.5. Mounted them on an aluminum plate on an oak board to transfer the heat from the heater. They take a little bit of adjustment to get the bullet in the right spot. Too much pressure will cause the lube to go where you don’t want it. Just a quarter turn on the ratchet per bullet, if the grooves aren’t full repeat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 474043C0-E10A-42A0-B458-679ED9645996.jpg  
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 10-18-2023 at 12:41 PM.

Ok well definitely less complicated then I thought, ok one more question would one of these HAVE to be the length they are to fit in an unmodified lube sizer . Like could something an extra once or so work or do they have to be the length they are ? Thanks
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

What brand of sizer do you have?
    And which sort of dies are you wanting to use in it?

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    What brand of sizer do you have?
    And which sort of dies are you wanting to use in it?
    Got two Lyman..450's I think of I remember right , but looking at building,or having something built. Honestly if it works it could REALLY change a thing or two
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Any of the Lyman or RCBS dies & top punches will work in it.
    I've got a RCBS sizer and made a SAECO die fit too with a little grinding on the top where its retained in the press.

If I already had two sizers that are among the favorites in the industry---
    (I'm all about experimenting and trying to improve things. However: )
    I'd be happy with those, and use them rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

EVERYONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Any of the Lyman or RCBS dies & top punches will work in it.
    I've got a RCBS sizer and made a SAECO die fit too with a little grinding on the top where its retained in the press.

If I already had two sizers that are among the favorites in the industry---
    (I'm all about experimenting and trying to improve things. However: )
    I'd be happy with those, and use them rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.
    Well there something missing with current lube size dies that again, would make them much better, by any time I've spoken about it folks get ... defensive.
    Anyhow , would you have to have a die that's the exact same length as the current ones to fit or could one that's longer fit without modifications to the press ?
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    The dies have to be the same length they are because it has to seal on top and bottom or lube will squirt out. I'm sure there is some small tolerance that the length can vary but I doubt it's much at all. Maybe 1 or 2 turns of the large top nut that holds the die in?

Without going out and looking,,, I'm not sure if the space inside the sizer press bottoms out or not.

But if your die is too long to fit, it's not too hard to shorten them.
    When fitting the die in, be sure the linkages under the die that push the boolit out on the upstroke
    aren't set too high for it to go down properly.

EVERYONE!

As the H hole diameter increases...

The room,or ID of the retaining collar starts to get close. So,yes... up to a certain H die diameter the die itself can extend upwards a ways.

One area you need to concern with is top punch to the top of the H die. They can be machined to engage each other... I've made some that way. Another area is how much leverage a 450 will take.... high starting loads is mainly what kills them. It's the H die leade in that's paramount to getting some of the longer style rifle bullets started straight. Will leave it there. Good luck with your project.

I would setup your lyman sizer. Give it a try it will answer your question im sure and maybe make new question but it works no need to over think it.
    blow your mind google a star sizer it is a push through sizer goers real fast

There is a substantial learning curve on lubricized lead bullets.

You will wind up lapping your molds to get them large enough and round to fit your throats/chambers (whichever). You will do much work to get full velocity and accuracy.

You will likely also lap out your expensive lubriciser dies to increase the final bullet size some. They are hardened steel and are tough to lap out .......

Much less time spent on a powder coating system will yield better results. If you need bigger, just powder coat them again. Lap a LEE push through to the exact size you need and apply a gas check if you need the extra support.

Powder coat costs A WHOLE LOT LESS to add a caliber later on.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
    Got two Lyman..450's I think . . .
    . . would one of these HAVE to be the length they are to fit in an unmodified lube sizer
    Well there something missing with current lube size dies.
    1. Stick with Lyman and RCBS H dies. They both fit your Lyman 450s
    2. What appears to be missing ?

FWIW: If you want/need H-Die diameters not routinely "issued" by Lyman/RCBS, go to
    Track of the Wolf or BuffaloArms and they'll likely have them already available.
    Last edited by mehavey; 10-19-2023 at 05:46 AM.

I find it interesting that no one has discussed Star sizers and how they automatically squirt the lube into the groove(s) via a cam action.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have an idea to make something better, find someone who knows something and who you trust and talk it out. There are folks here that can help.

The issue is that I cannot determine what you are trying to do so it is difficult to offer any suggestions/cautions.

If you cannot or will not identify what you are attempting to improve on an open forum, I see two options. If you have local resources, they are the best. I find face to face a better and easier way to "brainstorm". If that is not the case, reach out to someone here or another forum who you trust via PM or email.

If it was me, I would reach out to Mr. Morris who contributes to this forum. He has "been around the block", has years of fabricating/machine experience and has made some amazing stuff.

But before you do that, at least use one of the 450's you have. How can you assume they are lacking if you have never used them? Lube at least 2000 bullets before going down a rabbit hole. It will help you determine what needs to be improved.

Lastly, ignore people like me who have a little bit of knowledge but lots of opinions...LOL. If Edison had listened to people, he would not have invented the light bulb. But like Edison, you made need more than one kick at the cat to get'r done. Expect some trial and error.
    Don Verna

I would think Star units could accommodate a longer die if needed. I have a Lyman and a Star sizer. The Star is light years ahead of the Lyman.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned you cannot use a longer die with a stock RCBS or Lyman press. The retaining "screw" needs to push it firmly against the internal base to seal the lube chamber.

But...if you used a step die with a shoulder for the retaining 'screw' the rest of the body could be longer.

The limit would be the stroke on the sizer and the length of the bullet.

Without knowing why you want to do this makes it difficult to offer suggestions.

FYI, the Star size is a little different and might suit your needs better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast