Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOLVED Lee-menting New Cast Iron 4 Hole Classic Press

Vendor Sponsor

SOLVED Lee-menting New Cast Iron 4 Hole Classic Press

Like the title says, not real happy with a brand new classic cast iron press. The press itself is fine. The problems started when I tried (following the EXACT instructions) to adjust the turret to index correctly. It WILL NOT STAY adjusted. It won't even index properly with JUST the turret, no dies mounted. I can adjust it again and again, and it won't stay where I put it.

I ordered 2 extra turrets with the press, out of 3 turrets only one is smooth enough that it might stand a chance at working properly. The other two are GRITTY GRITTY GRITTY and they are so rough that the added resistance against rotating with the indexing rod causes the plastic square nut at the top of the rod to turn instead of turning the turret.

No stranger to tweaking Lee stuff here, it is near mandatory to deburr, file, smooth, whatever you have to do to make it operate smoothly and properly. So Lee builds a bulletproof cast iron press and hinges the successful operation of the press on a PLASTIC NUT?????

I have yet to load any ammo on it, it's nowhere near ready for prime time. The top of the indexing rod is threaded 1/4x20 unless I am mistaken, so my thoughts have gone to making a square nut out of steel, and then figuring out how I can make it adjustable enough to cause the turret to land with the spring loaded ball in the detent notch every time.

IF the turrets weren't SO ROUGH it might just work as intended, but man, this is worse than fingernails on a blackboard.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Are you lubricating the turrets and the press ring? I use just a very light coat of gun grease, basically apply a light coat then gently wipe it off leaving just a trace. The plastic nuts work fine, but you need to make sure they’re not installed upside down. I’ve had my press for over 15 years and probably loaded well over 5000/year and am still using the original plastic nut. One other thought, try removing the square nut that goes into the base of the turret and make sure the threads on the nut and shaft are clean of any oil, then try some blue loctite. The blue loctite will hold but the nut can be readjusted easily and still hold good.

Oops my bad, I misread your post. When you said plastic nut I assumed you were referring to the one that turns the indexing rod, but upon rereading your post your saying that the square nut on top of the indexing rod is actually plastic now. On my older press that nut is actually steel and once it’s set it seems to stay without any added help. Looking at the replacement parts I see a very different looking nut on the replacement rod, sounds like Lee has taken a very well proven design and screwed it up for no good reason. It’s such a shame when a company takes one of their best, most proven products and then does something so dumb. Like the old saying goes, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    Last edited by jetinteriorguy; 10-15-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Make a square nut? If it's standard 7/16" across the flats, you should be able to find a 1/4-20 nut. We used to have square nuts on the farm in almost any size you could name.

I hated them, when we were working on it piece equipment, my uncle looked specifically for square nuts if we needed any.

I think he did it just to annoy me.

Let me know, I've probably got a few left in the miscellaneous nut and bolt box yet. They'd look better on your bench than running up my blood pressure when I come across them.

Did I mention I hate them?

Boolit Master
    I checked the nut on mine and it is 7/16” across the flats. I’m sure you can still get one at a decent hardware store and then just use a little blue loctite if needed.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    On my older press that nut is actually steel and once it’s set it seems to stay without any added help. Looking at the replacement parts I see a very different looking nut on the replacement rod, sounds like Lee has taken a very well proven design and screwed it up for no good reason. It’s such a shame when a company takes one of their best, most proven products and then does something so dumb. Like the old saying goes, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    I'd like to see a pic of your indexing rod.

I'm thinking machine a square nut out of bar stock, then drill and thread it. I can mill off one side of the nut, making the nut thinner a bit at a time until it indexes correctly, then loctite that. I see no reason that ever needs to turn once I have the turrets indexing correctly.

As far as the rough as a cob turrets, I am going to call Graf's and see if they will swap them out for smoother ones.

This is what the press looks like after an hour's worth of fiddling with the turrets. I said they were GRITTY, look at the aluminum shavings!

Attachment 318980
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-15-2023 at 12:18 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Good Grief...WHAT has Lee done?
    A plastic lock nut, that's just wrong.

Doug, you can see in the first minute of this video, the steel 1/4-20 lock nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=H2IS5hcLQvw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Good Grief...WHAT has Lee done?
    A plastic lock nut, that's just wrong.

Doug, you can see in the first minute of this video, the steel 1/4-20 lock nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=H2IS5hcLQvw
    Yep! I think older versions of this press HAD a steel nut on the top of the indexing rod, just like what is shown in the video.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Yep! I think older versions of this press HAD a steel nut on the top of the indexing rod, just like what is shown in the video.
    Yup mine has a steel nut and it works quite well.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure what Lee is up to, but it does seem as though they are reducing costs. Example: several years ago I purchased a collet FCD for a .357 SIG. Was nicely machined, I cleaned and greased it and put it to use.

About a year ago I purchased several collet FCDs for other cartridges. What a mess. Poor rough machining on the tapered surfaces. Ran them w/o a cartridge in the press and they were rough and grinding; what a mess.

They ended up being popped apart and smoothed. The machining marks were really bad. Just concentric rings of high/low metal. Looked like a single point tool run by hand was used. Ugh.

After some careful use of emery cloth, cleaning & grease they worked like a charm.

So back to the beginning, all I see is that they went from using a decent supplier to a back-room metal cutter that was just cranking out parts. Had to be less expensive...

45_Colt

Yep. Just checked mine. The square nut at the top of the action rod looks like a pressed on piece of plastic. Didn’t check the lower one attached to the ram.

This is the same one I have.
    https://leeprecision.com/sq-index-rod-long

Press about two years old. Never gave me any issues so far. I’m thinking Doug’s main problem may be some bad turrets.

Doug, Please keep us posted.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Been using The lee classic cast turret press for over 10 years, at least , with no issue! The Press they are selling now is the same one that I purchased roughly 10 years ago! I know this because I’ve looked at a new one with thoughts of picking up an additional. I never had to spend any extensive time adjusting the indexing! I set up the dies and rocked and rolled. At this point I would strongly suggest that you call, and not email Lee customer service, and speak to a technician. As a matter of fact of used their budget turret press and other than wearing out the indexing I never had an issue. I don’t know weather the issue is in with the press itself or your understanding of the instructions. At this point in time if you’re having that many problems I would suggest that the issue could be resolved with Lee. Not with folks on an Internet forum just my opinion for what it’s worth
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Been using At this point in time if you’re having that many problems I would suggest that the issue could be resolved with Lee.
    1st up is contacting the distributor I bought the press and turrets from and take it from there but yes I can also contact Lee customer support.

Boolit Master
    1st up is contacting the distributor I bought the press and turrets from and take it from there but yes I can also contact Lee customer support.
    Who was the distributor? If by any chance it was titan Reloading they’ve been very helpful in the past up for me also. Just saying

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Who was the distributor? If by any chance it was titan Reloading they’ve been very helpful in the past up for me also. Just saying
    Graf & Sons

Boolit Master
    Heck I’d love to be of some help to you but like I said put the dies in the turret, set the Dies up, and I was rocking and rolling! That was over 10 years ago. I loaded pistol and rifle on the same press and I’ve never look back! Hope you work it out it’s a great press

Vendor Sponsor

Now an update! I called Lee and explained to them that the turrets were SO ROUGH that they added resistance that made the turret VERY difficult to turn, this causes the nylon locking nut to turn on the index rod, throwing off the index of the turret. It made the press unusable, if it can't index.

Lee tech support was very understanding, he explained that some of the turrets have burrs on them, just file the burrs smooth, which I had already done, and I explained to him that the worst of the machining was in the groove that can't be sanded smooth because that makes the turret smaller, and loose fitting, poor alignment, poor consistency, and he agreed the turret was defective.

Wait, wait, let me get this straight.. LEE ADMITTED that the turret was defective!

Turns out the metal square locking nut is no longer made and out of stock with no expected replacements so Lee equipped these presses with a nylon lock nut that basically prays there is enough friction to turn the turret, and not the nylon locking nut. In my case, the rough turrets made the locking nut turn every time, and I never once got it to keep the index after it was set. Now, the WORST part, is there is no "fix" for this, and no plans to fix it from Lee. They are going to keep using the nylon lock nut.

This would be a deal breaker for me and I know a lot of others, if they couldn't get the press to index. I fought it for a couple of hours and got nowhere with it staying indexed. If I wasn't mechanical, and a 50+yr welder, I would have RMA'ed the whole order back to Graf&Sons. As far as the two really rough turrets that I had ordered with the press, Graf&Sons sent me a prepaid UPS label to return them for a refund. Graf&Sons customer support lady went out of her way to call LEE and consult with their techs, and called me back as she said she would so they too get an A+ for the day!

I was ready to mill a suitable chunk of steel and thread it, but I stopped in Home Depot and picked up some 1/4x20 square nuts and used a center punch to distort the metal enough to make it HARD to turn once adjusted to index. It works VERY well, I am posting this here so others could see that all that is necessary is a 29¢ hardware store square nut and a center punch. Problem SOLVED!

Attachment 319019 Attachment 319020

The nut doesn't have to thread on the rod fully, just until the distorted threads lock the nut firmly against turning. It's actually an improvement if it stays at the top of the rod, the square hole in the turret gets smaller and the nut fits tighter.

I know there are many here that have had the 4 hole classic press for many years problem free, some with the nylon lock nut, and I am NOT knocking the press! Years ago, Lee MADE these presses with a metal locking square nut on the index rod. I wasn't that lucky, but turned it into an easy and repeatable fix.

And THANKS for the replies in this thread!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-16-2023 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Now an update! I called Lee and explained to them that the turrets were SO ROUGH that they added resistance that made the turret VERY difficult to turn, this causes the nylon locking nut to turn on the index rod, throwing off the index of the turret. It made the press unusable, if it can't index.

Lee tech support was very understanding, he explained that some of the turrets have burrs on them, just file the burrs smooth, which I had already done, and I explained to him that the worst of the machining was in the groove that can't be sanded smooth because that makes the turret smaller, and loose fitting, poor alignment, poor consistency, and he agreed the turret was defective.

Wait, wait, let me get this straight.. LEE ADMITTED that the turret was defective!

Turns out the metal square locking nut is no longer made and out of stock with no expected replacements so Lee equipped these presses with a nylon lock nut that basically prays there is enough friction to turn the turret, and not the nylon locking nut. In my case, the rough turrets made the locking nut turn every time, and I never once got it to keep the index after it was set. Now, the WORST part, is there is no "fix" for this, and no plans to fix it from Lee. They are going to keep using the nylon lock nut.

This would be a deal breaker for me and I know a lot of others, if they couldn't get the press to index. I fought it for a couple of hours and got nowhere with it staying indexed. If I wasn't mechanical, and a 50+yr welder, I would have RMA'ed the whole order back to Graf&Sons. As far as the two really rough turrets that I had ordered with the press, Graf&Sons sent me a prepaid UPS label to return them for a refund. Graf&Sons customer support lady went out of her way to call LEE and consult with their techs, and called me back as she said she would so they too get an A+ for the day!

I was ready to mill a suitable chunk of steel and thread it, but I stopped in Home Depot and picked up some 1/4x20 square nuts and used a center punch to distort the metal enough to make it HARD to turn once adjusted to index. It works VERY well, I am posting this here so others could see that all that is necessary is a 29¢ hardware store square nut and a center punch. Problem SOLVED!

Attachment 319019 Attachment 319020

The nut doesn't have to thread on the rod fully, just until the distorted threads lock the nut firmly against turning. It's actually an improvement if it stays at the top of the rod, the square hole in the turret gets smaller and the nut fits tighter.

I know there are many here that have had the 4 hole classic press for many years problem free, some with the nylon lock nut, and I am NOT knocking the press! Years ago, Lee MADE these presses with a metal locking square nut on the index rod. I wasn't that lucky, but turned it into an easy and repeatable fix.

And THANKS for the replies in this thread!
    Ah, peening the nut was brilliant.

Moderator Emeritus

SNIP>>>

but I stopped in Home Depot and picked up some 1/4x20 square nuts and used a center punch to distort the metal enough to make it HARD to turn once adjusted to index. It works VERY well, I am posting this here so others could see that all that is necessary is a 29¢ hardware store square nut and a center punch. Problem SOLVED!
    Great solution!
    Seems like an easy peasey thing to sell via ebay or other places, for a fella who already does aftermarket items for Lee presses, like Inline Fab...and there are others.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Great solution!
    Seems like an easy peasey thing to sell via ebay or other places, for a fella who already does aftermarket items for Lee presses, like Inline Fab...and there are others.
    Presses that operate smoothly like they SHOULD will get away with a plastic lock nut for years. This fix is for presses that won't hold index, or for those (like me) who shake their head in disgust at some of the stuff Lee does and want to shore up the reliability of their Lee equipment.

A company like Lee could set up basically a die stamping station and do the same thing I did with rounded punches set to just swage the threads on commonly available square nuts. Saying their metal square nut is no longer in production is a LAME excuse. Why you think these Classic 4 hole presses have been making owners happy for so long? Because they are reliable, and the majority of those have metal square nuts. Metal is a LOT more reliable than plastic. This is not rocket science.

Moderator Emeritus

Presses that operate smoothly like they SHOULD will get away with a plastic lock nut for years. This fix is for presses that won't hold index, or for those (like me) who shake their head in disgust at some of the stuff Lee does and want to shore up the reliability of their Lee equipment.

A company like Lee could set up basically a die stamping station and do the same thing I did with rounded punches set to just swage the threads on commonly available square nuts. Saying their metal square nut is no longer in production is a LAME excuse. Why you think these Classic 4 hole presses have been making owners happy for so long? Because they are reliable, and the majority of those have metal square nuts. Metal is a LOT more reliable than plastic. This is not rocket science.
    Yep, I agree
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast