Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Hornady Plant Explosion

Hornady Plant Explosion

Anyone know details of this incident?

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    news reports said one dead, two injured from explosion at chemical compound building. its in a public no go area and probably any more details will come from state fire Marshall reports

Sad.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

ive never seen a hornady primer for sale. i always wondered where they sourced them from. id wonder if it was the primer mixture for their rimfire stuff.

Sorry to read about this. The NE State Fire Marshals Office is notoriously slow in releasing any info. I am curious too? hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I had shotgun primers from Hornady. They were imported from Finland. I haven't seen any for a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady makes primers for some of their own ammo. They don't sell them for reloading.
    I don't know anything about this accident but it's certainly bad for the people affected.

Hope hornady stays in business, this might be just what dems need to close another great company via insurance costs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Hope hornady stays in business, this might be just what dems need to close another great company via insurance costs.
    Those plants at Grand Island are well managed and not going anywhere. Shame to hear this happened as they are a valued customer and good people. Wish the family of the woman best wishes and strength in this time.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

May the one who perished rest in peace…praying for quick recovery of the injured.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master

Fatal Explosion at Hornady Ammo Chemical Compound Building Kills One

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...aa98eac5&ei=41

An explosion at an ammunition manufacturer's facility in Nebraska left one woman dead and at least two other people injured.

The explosion took place Friday in a chemical compound building at Hornady Manufacturing in Wood River, according to KHGI-TV in nearby Kearney.

Hall County Attorney Marty Klein did not identify the victims, the outlet reported.

He said that one of the two men who were injured showed symptoms of a concussion.

The other man who was injured had symptoms related to breathing in dust and fumes, Klein said.

Neither man’s injuries were considered life-threatening.

Klein said the Hall County Sheriff’s office and the State Fire Marshal were investigating the cause of the explosion.

Woman dies in explosion at Hornady Manufacturing west of Grand Island, Nebraska https://t.co/VVwIiHThJc

At least four local fire departments arrived at the plant to deal with theexplosion and fire, which took place just before 10 a.m.

Hall County Emergency Manager Jon Rosenlund said the Cairo, Wood River, Alda and Grand Island rural fire departments responded.

The Grand Island Fire Department transported one person from the scene, Battalion Chief Phil Thomas said.

"We sent two ambulances out there and we transported one," Thomas said, according to the Grand Island Independent.
    Amid anecdotal reports of ammunition shortages linked to the war in the Middle East, the website Bearing Arms sought comments from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Explosion at Hornady Plant in Nebraska just a short bit ago. Very curious how this happened… Prayers for the Workers

Hornady is an ammunition manufacturer, and this will most likely affect the price of ammunition and military contracts. @TeamHornady https://t.co/tedtitcNUu

Mark Oliva, the NSSF’s managing director of public affairs, told the site that the organization "is aware of reports of increased ammunition sales. This isn’t unprecedented, as sales of ammunition -- and firearms -- increase during times of uncertainty."

"The 'Day of Rage' called for by the Hamas terrorist group, coupled with their unprovoked attack on Israel, is increasing concerns for personal safety, even here in the United States," Oliva said.

"The sheer depravity of their wanton violence against innocent men, women and children, coupled with verified reports of military-aged males of Middle East origin and known terrorists taken into custody at the open U.S. Southern border, has caused many to, once again, take stock of their own safety preparedness," he said.

"Ammunition manufacturers are in a much better place to respond to sudden spikes in demand than was witnessed during the COVID-19 pandemic," Oliva said.

"Remington Ammunition is fully staffed and operational, unlike in 2020 when they were just acquired by what is now The Kinetic Group. SIG Sauer recently expanded their ammunition production capabilities. Other manufacturers have ensured their production capacity is resilient to the market fluctuations," he said.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Fatal Explosion at Hornady Ammo Chemical Compound Building….
    [I]The explosion took place Friday in a chemical compound building at Hornady Manufacturing in Wood River, according to KHGI-TV in nearby Kearney…..
    Sure sounds like the primer compound magazine.
    When the Indiantown Village Council approved the new primer plant near Stuart Fl in March there was discussion about the primer compound magazine. From the articles I read the magazine design had to be approved by the BATF, among others. In this new plant the magazine is a dedicated 800 sq ft building set apart from the manufacturing plant. They wanted this particular property because it was large enough to build the plant with a ‘Blast Zone’ around the magazine. That makes more sense now and may explain why the number of casualties in the Hornady plant explosion were so low.
    The owner of Grind Hard Ammo, the company that will operate the Stuart Fl primer plant, said the magazine was approved to hold up to two hundred pounds of primer compound but they only envisioned storing eighty pounds.

That could be a time-consuming and expensive fix. If the machinery was damaged, if the staff were the only one key employee who can do certain tasks, if the storage to manufacturing tasks system was interrupted. Yes, it could be a while which may mean purchasing primers from others til the repair is done. The roughest aspect is the families involved. Their apprehension about Dad or uncle going to work won't go away soon.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

That sucks for cornady, seeing as most of their metallic ammo components were imported from Russia before everyone got cut off. Maybe their proud T-shirts will continue to fly off the shelves and keep them a float.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.