Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TC Bore Butter

Boolit Buddy
    Had the very same prob. with BB...........d0 as .243 w/ the soap routine, super hot followup and immediate lube prior to storage......I've also discovered that I prefer Ballistol to CLP.

Nearly lost a really nice .54 bbl to the chicken grease routine...........my take is that the advertising analogy of 'seasoning' a bbl similar to an iron frying pan is utter BS......I wound up having to lap that .54 to restore it after TC's product.

Banned

I've only used it as a hunting patch lube and never a barrel preservative. When at the range I use moose milk for shooting.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Clean with water - NEVER hot water - unless you want to generate red rust in there in about twenty seconds
    Dry bore with flannellette patches
    One patch wet with WD40
    put it away job done
    if you gonna leave it more than a month run an oily patch downbore to preserve
    next time ya shoot dry patch the bore and blow out the nipple and powder channel with aircompressor
    I live on the humid east coast, and I have zero rust issues with HOT water. The key is you want it fresh-off-a-rolling-boil hot. The barrel dries itself from the soaked-in heat before any rust can form.

The other advantage of a warm barrel is that if you use a wax or grease on the outside, you can spread it thinner and more evenly.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    All my problems with corrosion vanished when I stopped using Pyrodex, as did my problems with no fires and hang fires. 'Nuff said!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
    I live on the humid east coast, and I have zero rust issues with HOT water. The key is you want it fresh-off-a-rolling-boil hot. The barrel dries itself from the soaked-in heat before any rust can form.

The other advantage of a warm barrel is that if you use a wax or grease on the outside, you can spread it thinner and more evenly.
    The few times I tried hot water a dry patch came out red as quick as I could get it down the bore - I lost interest about as fast .
    every shooter has their pet cleaning system - never two the same - and the other feller never does it right

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    The few times I tried hot water a dry patch came out red as quick as I could get it down the bore - I lost interest about as fast .
    every shooter has their pet cleaning system - never two the same - and the other feller never does it right
    I couldn't agree more.
    I do use HOT water for both wash & rinse.
    Run a dry patch through before standing barrel with the muzzle down for about 1/2 hour.
    Then I run a patch soaked with TC Bore Butter through the bore,
    and then take the patch off the jag and give the outside of the barrel a good rub down.
    Everybody says I'm doing it wrong, but It's been working for me the last 45 years.

AntiqueSledMan.

I use a steam cleaner followed by a soak in a bucket of mineral oil, for a revolver. Swab and wipe down for a rifle.

I was a Bore Butter guy, had some of the same issues as the OP
    moved on to Ballistol, now I use Frog Lube and have been very happy with it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41khG11ujqL._SL1024_.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	319358
    I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Boolit Master

Sudsy, that won't give you warts?

I heat my muzzleloader water to a full boil and can actually see it evaporate out of the hot barrel. Works great. For my inline, I just scrub the bore with whatever blackpowder cleaner I have on hand the same way I would do a cartridge rifle.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    WD40 works for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I heat my muzzleloader water to a full boil and can actually see it evaporate out of the hot barrel. Works great. For my inline, I just scrub the bore with whatever blackpowder cleaner I have on hand the same way I would do a cartridge rifle.
    I think this is why my method works so well. My only muzzle loader is a NEF so I can remove the barrel when cleaning. I hold it over the sink by the scope and pour at least half a Tea Kettle of boiling water down the bore after running a brush and dry patch through it. This gets it so hot that the water inside instantly dries off/evaporates so there is no problem with rust. I follow this up with a couple patches of bore butter while still hot.

Boolit Buddy
    Use up your bore butter for patch and bullet lube. Use many gret products for storage, heck, in my opinion Mobile 1 motor oil preserves better than bore butter.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have used all kinds of moose milks, bore butters and what have you but everything gets a light coat of Ballistol now, stinks awful but it works real good IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaleT View Post
    I have used all kinds of moose milks, bore butters and what have you but everything gets a light coat of Ballistol now, stinks awful but it works real good IMO.
    I love the smell of Ballistol! I use it under my arms...........haven't had a date lately................

Wow! Lotsa divergent opinions here. When I shot muzzleloaders a lot, I only used Bore Butter and genuine holy black. When I cleaned my gun, I used boiling hot soapy water (soap, not detergent), followed by a boiling water rinse, and then the bore butter to finish it off. Never had a problem. I had one rifle stored for almost twenty years after this treatment, and the bore looked like new when I got it out. I think the bottom line is to use real black powder, and oil the barrel with Bore Butter while it’s still warm.

P.S.Never use any petroleum products in your bore. Ballistol is mainly mineral oil,so should be OK.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I love the smell of Ballistol! I use it under my arms...........haven't had a date lately................
    Try Hoppe's. If that scent doesn't bring the babes your way nothing will!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Wow! Lotsa divergent opinions here. When I shot muzzleloaders a lot, I only used Bore Butter and genuine holy black. When I cleaned my gun, I used boiling hot soapy water (soap, not detergent), followed by a boiling water rinse, and then the bore butter to finish it off. Never had a problem. I had one rifle stored for almost twenty years after this treatment, and the bore looked like new when I got it out. I think the bottom line is to use real black powder, and oil the barrel with Bore Butter while it’s still warm.

P.S.Never use any petroleum products in your bore.
    Ballistol is mainly mineral oil,so should be OK.
    I have used petroleum based rust preventative oils in my bores for years with no problems. Never as a patch lube though.

Scattershot, I have my very first rifle build in 40 cal for my wife, It's an ugly creation but shoots very nice . That gun there has had nothing but the treatments you spoke of for cleaning and storing. I think it's my best shooter.

Boolit Master
    For bore protection, I use LPS-3, which is intended for long term outdoor metal storage. It leaves a layer of soft petroleum wax in place and I have never had any rust problems. I never trusted bore butter for anything other than patch lube.

I read Ballistol is a liquid parrafin and I've used it as a patch lube, but the results were inconclusive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast