RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So .....that explains the leading

So .....that explains the leading

So as y'all know I've been messing with cart in my Mosin and today I experienced something with it I have experience with shooting cast yet. Leading. Noticed it at the table around the crown and picked at it a little and sure enough it's leading ( along with shooting all 20 test rounds before realizing my scope rings where loose )

No big deal I prepped in advance for this ( had to double check some stuff but I had what I needed still) but was confused as all get out . I mean I've shot cast out of my AR and .22hornet way faster then this with no problems . So while I was scrubbing her out I went down the check list and everything was there ,powder coat procedure, sizing, gas check, velocity,neck expansion...then something told me to check the alloy. Now I generally use a pretty hard alloy like 16 on the low side 19 -20 on the high side, because I play around with high-er velocity stuff alot. Well I got some sheet tin the other day which is supposed to be pure lead and supposed to be good for fill out so I've been adding a little to my mix thinking the little I've been adding shouldn't hurt too much.....yeah well I checked and according to my lee tester I'm at like 7.4bhn that is STUPID SOFT for anything other then paper patch of muzzleloaders as far as I'm aware ...least that's what all the books say ,so yeah....that explains that. Now I gotta try and dig though my wheel weight buckets to get enough clip on weights to make my old mix again ... Boy imma just order 50lbs of Lyman #2 alloy next month and just run off of that stuff for a while because this scrapping and scrounging for lead is for the birds lol. Not like I save money on this anyway
    Another funny little learning experience

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

It will be interesting to see what results you have next time around *IF* the only thing you change is going to a harder alloy.

Change more than one thing it's going to be left to speculation.

Different hardness alloys have both good & bad qualities for different applications.
    You need it harder for rifle speeds than handguns,,,,, but getting it so hard it gets brittle can be a problem too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My experience has been 16-20 BHN shouldn't be a problem unless he's also after expansion.

Boolit Grand Master

You didn't say what you sized to and what your barrel measures. Make sure they are big enough for your barrel, not just up to the standard MN size.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

One other thing to consider. You need to check the hardness of an alloy at the same age. If you tested an alloy within days from casting and again after weeks from casting they likely won't be the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman #2 is 5-5-90. If you dilute it to 3-3-94 then drop in water after you powder coat you will probably get about 16 BHN and 90% or more weight retention with a cup point. 4-4-92 starts to get more brittle. Some people get good results with 5-5-90 but either I'm a mixing and measuring dummy or it actually isn't good for weight retention once it expands. From what I have seen 3-3-94 has the best weight retention at 1600-2100 fps and it can be water dropped to equal or exceed the hardness of 5-5-90 from 400-450 degrees.

Boolit Master
    I also got tired of trying to find scrap lead that I knew the composition. I just buy it now. Rotometals Lyman #2 works for everything I shoot these days.

Boolit Master

Wolfdog, I fell your pain....that leading really sucks!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Throat and bore diameter may be the culprits to your leading, maybe more than lead hardness. Yes, time spent chasing 'cheap lead' (mystery metal?), fuel for the truck make Rotometals, other lead sellers inexpensive, especially here in Wyoming where EVERYTHING is at least a fifty mile drive. FedEX, that Brown Truck, and our poor postal lady with those Boxes of Lead bring it right to the shop. Modern online and delivery really make living out here much better. Again bore fit and maybe throat fit should fix the leading, long ago I plated a Marlin 30-30 bore, filled the micro-groves with very hard lead, went to .311 from .309 and everything got much better - same lead.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Have you tried slipping a bullet into a fired case mouth? There should be slight resistance. If the throat isn't filled, the rifle won't be happy!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Wolf dog, I have some mono type I could send, It is in Ingots, But will harden that soft lead up on the hurry up side! Send me a PM, It is yours for the shipping costs. It will not take much. Just gotta do the math.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

I have seen leading strips like that from my 380 auto. It really surprised me. I suspect that my alloy was just too soft, as you discovered. For my pistol ammo I normally use range scrap with a bit of tin, and a little superhard (I think the hard alloy is really melted down lead chilled shot.)

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    You can use soft lead with a gas check and PC.

off the subject but that is a cool lee hardness tester tool holder thing did you make it or is for sale somewhere?

^^^^Ditto?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master
    Your bore hasn't been counter bored.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I can't tell if that's the look of worry, or determination?
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy
    I like that holder too! That would make using the Lee tool better. I might have to try to make one in wood.

That sucks about your alloy. I bought some alloy recently here on CB and tested it with the Lee and it was spot on.

I am tempted to buy only guaranteed in the future.

Sorry for the problems. Hopefully just too soft.

So where'd you get that Lee Hardness Tester stand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast