Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: .22 Match Bullets

Boolit Buddy

.22 Match Bullets

I recently got into shooting .22 Matches. I was told by an old timer to make sure I stored my bullets point down. Match bullets are heavily waxed and when stored on their side, the wax gravitates to one side making the bullet lopsided.

Boolit Master
    Yes; that can happen; usually only in higher heat in storage area.... I would be more concerned about the match ammo being dropped in handling ??

Boolit Master
    never thought about it but it makes sense. I have a handful of old plastic 22 boxes - the kind where the lid slides and the cartridges hang nose down (100 rounds to the box). For years, every time I buy a brick of ammo I load it into those boxes so I can conveniently take 100 rounds at a time to the range. That ammo usually sits nose down on the shelves for a few months before I use up the brick. My two old 22 rifles shoot very, very well-- maybe my habit of storing the bullets nose down actually did some good??
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy

One of my friends is a serious 22 competitor was telling me he reboxes all his special ammo into different brand boxes to irate the competition GW

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    One of my friends is a serious 22 competitor was telling me he reboxes all his special ammo into different brand boxes to irate the competition GW
    That is borderline evil…but made me smile…lol.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Playing mind games ??? I put some into boxes from ammo that has not been made in years; fed M1000 match........or some in fed M900 match ..... or some into rem white boxes....
    I don't know much about this trigger jerking stuff ?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by blahut View Post
    playing mind games ??? I put some into boxes from ammo that has not been made in years; fed m1000 match........or some in fed m900 match ..... Or some into rem white boxes....
    110% gw

I thought about doing this! Instead I shoot a Frankenchester and beat a lot of them (off the bench). Standing and shooting is now an exercise in futility as I sway like a tree in a hurricane!
    NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I recently got into shooting .22 Matches. I was told by an old timer to make sure I stored my bullets point down. Match bullets are heavily waxed and when stored on their side, the wax gravitates to one side making the bullet lopsided.
    Just the tip of the iceberg. Do you gage your ammo. I think it is a rim thickness gage. Some people even resize their .22 target ammo. Lube, got to not disturb the lube not just nose down but don't fondle the nose and smear the lube. Some the lube is very soft.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Playing mind games ??? I put some into boxes from ammo that has not been made in years; fed M1000 match........or some in fed M900 match ..... or some into rem white boxes....
    Stick them into Blazer ammo boxes ! That’s what we used in the Mossberg 144’s back in the early’80’s. I still could hit the tacks & drop targets on the rest of the team. They really rang those steel plates inside.

I had a buddy that I went to visit one time and he was repacking a few boxes of Ely .22 match ammo
    into boxes of the cheapest/on sale .22s around. Then he put the junky ones back into the Ely boxes.

He did it to impress his kids & other friends. He did pretty good with his 10" bull barrel Browning Buckmark,,,,
    He'd shoot the magazines he brought pre-loaded:
    Then after a "Here, you try it"... let them load up with the el cheapo stuff from the match ammo boxes.

Yes, he was evil that way.......
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

On the one hand, it would be fun to pull Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas out of a Remington Thunderbolt box. On the other, the notion of dumping Eley Tenex or Lapua Midas into a loose bulk pack makes my skin crawl.

Better still might be to put the ultra match grade stuff into faded and water-stained Super X or Peters boxes from the 1950's, with fake lot numbers stamped on the sides. . .
    Last edited by Bigslug; 11-30-2023 at 12:39 AM. Reason: More evil
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    That is borderline evil…but made me smile…lol.
    Smile??? I let out a guffaw loud enough to make my wife inquire. That is devious if not evil.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

That is dowright dirty