Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Caldwell Chrono, Died.

Boolit Buddy

Caldwell Chrono, Died.

Called Caldwell and ask about a new board, gave the young feller the NO's on the board,(silence) "I'm not familiar with that old of model". Can i buy a new board for my unit? (silence), talking to someone there, no, we don't stock internal parts for our units "not even the newer models", I ask where can i get one from a outside source (silence) we don't have any outside sources, because the internal components are imports. polite young feller and i thanked him, "you will have to buy a newer unit".

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Dadgum the luck. Hope you can find a fix for it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Well, You tried.....the newer units offer so much more these days.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Murphy, hope all's good w/ you. Did a lot of research found out the co. that made the boards for my (date on board 10/11) old unit was bought out by "SMITH & WESSON", to many rabbit holes. I like having a chrono, will buy another, but it won't be a Caldwell.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

https://www.snipercountry.com/best-s...ograph-review/ Of the remaining chrony companies. I have a working shooting chrony and magnetospeed I'll sell sometime as I don't need them anymore.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    That’s the world of today I guess, a disposable society with little to no product support.

Just to ask, did you open it up to see what piece may have let the magic smoke out?

Boolit Buddy
    metricmonkey, my unit just started showing, 591,or 476 or just 3# readings, i turn it off then back on the numbers would not stop . I have to admit it has been a good unit , until it went crazy. Called Caldwell , didn't have internal parts for my old unit, said they don't stock (have) internal parts for their new units, just buy a new unit. I did open"er up everything looked "new" to me, closed it up. Looking at the Pro Chrono as i'm on a small budget.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

In most instances chip foundries make millions of a given processor or mem chip at flank speed, but when the next generation is ready, they retool and move on. Sometimes in a matter of months. So when the pipeline for any particular chip goes empty, that's all she wrote. Economically impossible for them to go back and tool up for small quantities of an obsolete chip. Best of all possible worlds would be a boutique foundry that could use the old tooling, but so far it hasn't happened.

Yeah, I hate it too, but that's how it is.
    Last edited by uscra112; 10-14-2023 at 02:55 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Called Caldwell and ask about a new board, gave the young feller the NO's on the board,(silence) "I'm not familiar with that old of model". Can i buy a new board for my unit? (silence), talking to someone there, no, we don't stock internal parts for our units "not even the newer models", I ask where can i get one from a outside source (silence) we don't have any outside sources, because the internal components are imports. polite young feller and i thanked him, "you will have to buy a newer unit".

coffee's ready, Hootmix.
    I hear and feel your pain and frustration -- been there! In my years as an electronics tech, sooooo many "repairs" were successfully achieved by: 1/ removing and discarding batteries -- even if they tested "good"; 2/ using pencil-eraser material to clean all battery terminals in units; cleaning any/all contacts and plugs and sockets; leaving unit off without any batteries or power overnight -- and then insert NEW batteries and try the next day.
    You did not indicate your need for a new board -- did you put a bullet hole in it ? (I've been there doing this, too ) But -- hey -- if it is just a failure you may wish to try my suggestions? Good luck and best wishes!
    geo

He didn't shoot it. When he turns it on the readout goes haywire.

Some devices have a "master reset" that is often actuated by poking a paper clip through a tiny hole.

Battery contacts! Don't get me started.
    Cognitive Dissident

Hootmix, What board do you need? I have a caldwell that suffered a GSW but I saved for parts. You're welcome to it.

I like my coffee black, pertnear.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    pertnear,( neat handle), Mr. Pert i'm a cowboy (retired), i have no skills for this type thing. Like i mentioned mine was made some where around 20/11, got it used in a trade and it has been great for the last 2yrs.Then Error3 & Error2 got to blaming each other for not working, then mother numbers would scramble all the numbers. Soooo, not sure which part to blame. I will be thankful to have it, PM me the shipping cost.

yes, the coffee's ready. Hootmix

PM sent.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

metricmonkey, my unit just started showing, 591,or 476 or just 3# readings, i turn it off then back on the numbers would not stop . I have to admit it has been a good unit , until it went crazy. Called Caldwell , didn't have internal parts for my old unit, said they don't stock (have) internal parts for their new units, just buy a new unit. I did open"er up everything looked "new" to me, closed it up. Looking at the Pro Chrono as i'm on a small budget.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.
    I got a ProChrono and I killed it once and had it sent in and thy could not fix it ,so charge me half the price of New one that is a new one that they sent me. Just the part they could not repair that is the chrono itself . Just to let you know about the company . For what they done for me .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

My original Chrony started not working on me I got all kinds of weird readings and I tracked the problem to a non alkaline 9 volt battery .

Shortly after I was shooting without the cardboard guides that came with the old ones and shot it .45 stopped it with one shot! The new ones work a lot better only issue I have had is they need to be shaded from direct sunlight or readings may be wrong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chrony.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	319026
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

coffee's ready, Hootmix.
    Try a shot of contact cleaner in the various switches and battery compartment. I revived one that Bookworm gave me that way a few years ago. A can of the CRC that I used is currently about $11 plus tax at Walmart.com, should be able to pick it up from their automotive section. And about $8 for the WD-40 brand contact cleaner. Haven't used that, can't swear it works, but it should.

Boolit Master

coffee's ready, Hootmix.
    Shucks Cowboy - that must be the Chrono I traded you? Sorry to hear it died. Like me, it sounds like you enjoy having a chrono to check velocity of loads. I went with the ProChrono-DLX chrono with the BlueTooth option and have good results with it. It's now $151 shipped at:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/competi...bluetooth.html

Here's a really cheap $55 shipped that I know nothing about:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5ZY8M4V/

Boolit Buddy
    Chrono UP Date!! MR. pertnear, sent me the internal parts from a "wounded Caldwell" and i spent some time changing different parts around and got the unit to working. Slipped off to the range, fired 24 rounds across the unit, no errors or glitches. Hey Ken, found a sticker inside (our) the unit dated 8/06, man we have put a lot of round across this unit. I do feel kind'a lost w/out "our" ( you, pert * myself) chrono.

coffee all around, Hootmix.