Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: We're all doomed! EMP/CME, Solar Storms, Lighting Strikes and such

Boolit Master

We're all doomed! EMP/CME, Solar Storms, Lighting Strikes and such

https://www.newsweek.com/tree-rings-...m-ever-1833028

Anyone who's paid a bit of attention to trending Prepper/Survivalist fiction has noted quite a few books on electromagnetic pulse or coronal mass ejection events. Newsweek published this on their website yesterday, October 9th. The event is thought to have been at least 10 times as powerful as the Carrington Event of 1859. Weren't a lot of folks using electrical equipment in 744AD, but they mentioned potentially trillions of dollars in damage, and outages lasting months. They're such optimists! Miyake events are very powerful CME's, and they've documented 9 of them in the past 15000 years. The most recent mentioned was over a thousand years ago. Can't ever happen again! Right?

With Mr. Putin rattling rockets, and "global warming" or "global cooling" or whatever they're calling it this week, some sort of event is very likely. Even a nearby lighting strike can cause great harm to our personal stuff, at least.

What can you do to mitigate the risk for yourself? Eh?

Some references here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyake_event

Boolit Master

Good read.

But remember:

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Already been hit by lightning so I hope I'm good! Pre-Disastered !

On a more tinfoil hat note - there is geological evidence (I was a geology major in the dim and distant past) of mini-extinction events every 12-14k years and we are due. All this trivial human happenings, pronouns, etc will be simplified to alive - dead - hungry - fed. Most things are cyclic and some of those cycles are way beyond people or governments or world orders to deal with. We are not nearly as important as we think we are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j635Cv2aOlA More tinfoil hat reading related to above. Interesting.

There's a lot of new information about the earth's past and the cycles of disasters since around the 80s or so.

In school, we were taught/lead to believe the earth always looked like we see it today.
    The cat is coming out of the bag that it wasn't.

The really bad events I think are the magnetic and polar shifts.
    They talk about the earth- with a circumference of 24,000 miles at the equator, and rotates once in a 24 hour day.
    So, the surface speed is 1,000 mph. We all know that.

They talk of the earth tilting and the axis moving maybe 90 degrees, rotation being upset, or even briefly stopping.
    If that happens, the ground will stop or tilt over,,,,,, but the oceans & bodies of water won't automatically shift with it.
    That will put waves going over the land masses at least a mile high, and moving at hundreds of miles per hour.
    Such an event could be the basis of the global flood most other cultures speak of, and is what happened in Noah's day.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Reminds me of the science fiction novel "The HAB Theory".

Nobody gets outta here alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/tree-rings-...m-ever-1833028

Anyone who's paid a bit of attention to trending Prepper/Survivalist fiction has noted quite a few books on electromagnetic pulse or coronal mass ejection events. Newsweek published this on their website yesterday, October 9th. The event is thought to have been at least 10 times as powerful as the Carrington Event of 1859. Weren't a lot of folks using electrical equipment in 744AD, but they mentioned potentially trillions of dollars in damage, and outages lasting months. They're such optimists! Miyake events are very powerful CME's, and they've documented 9 of them in the past 15000 years. The most recent mentioned was over a thousand years ago. Can't ever happen again! Right?

With Mr. Putin rattling rockets, and "global warming" or "global cooling" or whatever they're calling it this week, some sort of event is very likely. Even a nearby lighting strike can cause great harm to our personal stuff, at least.

What can you do to mitigate the risk for yourself? Eh?

Some references here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyake_event
    Juszt turn the electronics off; then almost nothing will happen to them .....
    And yes; none of us will get out of this life alive....

Boolit Buddy
    But it might prove to be interesting!

Boolit Master

Best Lightning strike protection for home electronics is free and it is better than a surge protector!
    Tie a figure eight knot in the power cord!

I don't recall seeing if anyone called for both a figure eight knot and a surge protector.
    One guy I respect protected a lot of his stuff by soldering spark gaps on the input.
    A spark gap arcs when the input voltage exceeds a set level. A spark gap should never interfere with normal operation of equipment. My memory says he used spark gaps to protect solar battery charging systems and HAM radio equipment.

Boolit Buddy
    Stupid question but is that set to spark to ground?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    Yes

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerShooter View Post
    I sure was mentally slow that day! I missed a chance to say, "There are no stupid questions, but that one sure was close!" Oh, well! You can't be sharp all of the time.

Boolit Buddy
    My concern was that lightning energy is probably more than household ground can handle. Direct to a properly sized and installed ground rod is another thing. Having been hit by lightning gives me a bit of insight.

Boolit Master
    Sooner is better than later, is all I can say. A few more decades and there won't be anybody left who knows how to do things without electronics.