RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light rust on bullet mold

Denim would work. The oldtimers used burlap from feed bags. I used a kitchen scrubby-sponge saturated with the thin version of Corrosion-X until I found that Big 45 stuff. Still do use the sponge as a follow-up, but now have a can of G96.

Remembering that the stuff they used in "hot tank" parts cleaners in my youth had creasylic acid in it. Every automotive machine shop stank of the stuff, as did the machinists. But I do recall that an iron head soaked in the tank for a few hours had lost any rust it might have had, along with all the baked-on grime, when it came out. It must have been related to the original Gunk formula, because they hosed down the parts with water after the soaking. EPA would have a conniption fit today,
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    The "CLR" idea worked perfect
    Thanks for the help

Boolit Buddy
    Naval Jelly rust remover/converter, but it will remove bluing...just take your time and season your molds after. Like with any product, start small and do a sample test of an area where it's not so obvious in case the results are unsatisfactory. If the molds have scale, you will most likely be left with some pitting regardless of what you use. Try different methods, cast some bullets in between and see which gives you the best results. We use naval jelly on farm equipment but we are not concerned about pitting though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM54 View Post
    The "CLR" idea worked perfect
    Thanks for the help
    Happy you are happy.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

I just cleaned up a mold that was rusted looked worse than it was. I used citric acid in warm water and a tooth brush. Soaked the mold for a while and brushed of most of the rust. Soaked a little longer and it cleaned right up. dried it off and ran it over a torch to get all the water out. Now i need to try it.
    it's a Dixie gun works round ball mold sized .542".
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12