Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Unknown powder measure.

Boolit Bub

Unknown powder measure.

Hi all. I've been reloading for about 50 years but I've never to my recollection seen a pistol powder measure like this one I just bought (cheap). It slightly resembles my old Lyman 55, but doesn't have anything like the Lyman's adjustment range.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    It's has some kind of alloy body, top cap and lid. It has a steel spout and table clamp, glass cylinder and brass charge bar and rotor, and appears to be factory made The operating handle doesn't look original.
    I haven't tried to determine yet what powder it's calibrated for, but am guessing Bullseye or similar as the adjustable charge bar scale only reads from 2 to 8, in 0.5 increments.
    Does anyone have any idea as to maker, date, etc..
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Boolit Master
    Not made by Blount/RCBS... throw away immediately!!!
    LOL
    Attempt at Humor...
    The kind of thing I really enjoy... if it is Accurate...all the Better...Looks Old School Cool too!!!!

Boolit Master
    That's really nice in many ways. I wish I could help. Perhaps it's British or an early Lachmiller Engineering?
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master

It’s not uncommon to see something like this that is homemade and not just a powder measures.
    Some are rather crude and I have also seen presses, dies and powder measures the rival and even exceed that of factory workmanship.
    I had a really nice looking homemade measure years ago that was in incredibly accurate, gave it to a friend in Wyoming years ago.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master

May be a "Government job" even if its castings. Pattern makers tool makers machinist do a lot of it. Actually there my have been 3-4 made 1 for each of the guys working on different parts

Boolit Buddy
    Could have come out of a auto assembly plant tool room.
    The operating lever/crank looks like a car window operating
    crank/lever.
    The hold down screw thumb piece looks like a half washer welded in place.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    Could have come out of a auto assembly plant tool room.
    The operating lever/crank looks like a car window operating
    crank/lever.
    The hold down screw thumb piece looks like a half washer welded in place.
    The lever/crank for sure seems to be a car window winder and doesn't really 'go with' the rest of the measure , and I agree about the half washer thumb piece.
    I guess that like the Lyman 55, the charge bar graduations don't specifically relate to any particular powder, but I've tried it at random settings with Bullseye, Winchester 452AA, IMR 4227 and Ramshot Zip and it throws consistent weights with them.
    I bought it more as a curiosity than anything else, but will certainly have a use for it.
    Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

Boolit Grand Master
    That’s definitely a new one on me. I would be willing to accept that it was a custom or one-off job by a very talented machinist. The adjuster is vaguely reminiscent of one formerly available as an aftermarket addition for the Ideal #5, but the glass reservoir held down by a cap and four rods is a real oddity! The “window crank” operating lever also is indicative of a home build, so I would go with that. I currently own a bunch of measures in at least a half dozen or more designs, and I’ve never seen anything like it.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Looking again...resembles a Small Sausage Grinder my gramma had.. Tapered drop for Casings!!!!
    Obviously modified for "other" use!!