Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Vision Scope

Boolit Grand Master

A friend of mine raves about his IRay RICO HYBRID 640 3X 50mm Multi-function Thermal Weapon Sight. I have not seen it yet. For the price it better be impressive.

https://irayusa.com/hyh50w
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    A friend of mine raves about his IRay RICO HYBRID 640 3X 50mm Multi-function Thermal Weapon Sight. I have not seen it yet. For the price it better be impressive.

https://irayusa.com/hyh50w
    I have that mounted on a side charging 6.5 Grendel AR. Acceptable, but is rather dull compared to I-Ray's upper end. It seems sepia toned and muted.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I have that mounted on a side charging 6.5 Grendel AR. Acceptable, but is rather dull compared to I-Ray's upper end. It seems sepia toned and muted.

Which I-Ray do you recommend?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Which I-Ray do you recommend?
    I truly appreciate my THC 50C. There are FAR better, but I have killed well over a hundred coyotes in the 16 months I've owned mine. The clarity is amazing! My first one was an ATN and I didn't realize that you shouldn't have to wait for the refresh rate to catch up, and that a coyote shouldn't look like a steer over 200 yards.
    I have been accurate out to 275, and watched my family's crew in Nebraska good to 390 with the same scope. Yep, I dropped some Benjamin's on it, but I enjoy it more than I can speak to. The problem with the Rico is that it was after the THC, I had steak expectations and got a great burger.

Boolit Grand Master

5K to 7K will be doable next year but it's not something I can do every time something new or better comes out. I am just starting to do my research. Any recommendations for sites for reliable accurate info on what out there?

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    5K to 7K will be doable next year but it's not something I can do every time something new or better comes out. I am just starting to do my research. Any recommendations for sites for reliable accurate info on what out there?
    I'll keep you posted! My BIL just became a dealer. The tech advances and the prices drop. I have an extremely limited amount of recreation time, so I am willing to trade my pieces of green paper for moments of that time that I and my family are able to enjoy together. Whether the sun is up or not!
    Last edited by cwtebay; 11-22-2023 at 12:24 AM.

Night Vision is basically a visible/near IR system that uses basic cell phone camera sensors. Uncooled IR sensors (real heat seeking) are expensive and only made by a few companies. And usually Mil suppliers so our cost is higher. The technology has gotten down to 7uM size sensors, 12 is common. Sensor has to get hot, then cool as the 'scene' changes. To speed up response, they auto 'reset' the scene. Like cell phones, the TV screen is cheap OLED. Sensitivity (how cold a target can be seen) depends on sensor (pixel) size. With 7uM, a true HD (1024) sensor has to be much larger. There is an HD one for ~10k$. One thing to remember - digital magnification actually takes a smaller portion of the sensor and displays it on the OLED. So pic can get grainy. As sales (volume) from hunters increases, price will eventually decrease.
    Whatever!

For around $600 the ATN scopes are great and will do the job.
    Of course, if money is no object, you can always do better.

I use white hot in mine to combat the night blindness. I'm wishing for a phone app to set up (menu is OK but not used when hunting) no real need for movies and other stuff. Reduce scope mounted controls to on/off and mag. Even in the field everything else can be handled by phone app. Seems like all use the same software with tweaks/mods. My ATN monocle is 17uM sensor, 160x120 pixel, OK for scanning only, ID is far from perfect over 100 yds.
    Whatever!

https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/zulus...-night-digital Just purchased one a few days ago, there is a 6–8-week lead time, unfortunately. Two coupon codes SAVE25% and REX for 25% off. The previous optics I have purchased from Arken I'm completely satisfied. Good luck in your search!
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12