RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Vision Scope

Boolit Master

Night Vision Scope

I have a varmint problem and need a night vision scope for a 223/308 cal rifle, I would like some guidance and reviews on scopes for 200 yard use and under. Your help and recommendations are appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I personally love my I-Ray for everything. I have had less expensive options and you definitely get what you pay for.
    (Not night vision - thermal imaging)
    Last edited by cwtebay; 10-09-2023 at 10:59 AM.

Night vision for 200 yds will be difficult, needs some light. IR doesn't need light. At 200 yds and small varmits, 4x mag is probably needed. I can pick POI on a small hog @ 100 with 2x mag. (IR rattler 25-384).
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I appreciate you guys helping me out.

This video shows side-by-side views through a variety of different NV devices -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyr6BxfJfEQ
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I have not gone to a night scope yet I am using one of those green "game lights" sometimes called a laser designator in the past . It has a good 200 yard range in a fairly open area but cats and coyotes run like heck when shined with it!
    I am looking at the electronic night scopes ones that see temperature might be best for my use but will not go on my early 180 series Ruger Mini 14 as I have a scout mount on it with a 2-7X pistol scope now. I also have a laser (red) I really am liking for closer (70 yards and under) night shots on running critters.
    If I do get a night scope I will probably buy a new rifle just for it however putting it on my 30-30 Marlin could work...
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I appreciate you guys comments and help.

Boolit Master
    im looking into these also. is thermal better than electro-optic? budget is an issue and I'm looking at the least expensive offerings from ATN. reading lots of reviews.

seems like some of the scopes include everything including the kitchen sink. photos, video, gps, compass. some probably get real complicated real quick. all I want to do is shoot the gosh darn predators at night.

Boolit Master
    ATN has online offers that are pretty good if you sign up for notifications.

I have a therm monocular from ATN and an AGM rattler scope. I choose the AGM for shooting!!! Night vision is like the camcorder with the IR filter removed. Needs light. IR is basically the same but use a IR only sensor array so no extra light needed. Just add 1k$ min for the IR.
    Edit: biggest difference is IR needs no illumination AND has much better resolution than IR. Typical IR has 1 million pixels, NV easily is 4M. NV has faster scan rate as is converts light to current. IR (uncooled), pixel elements actually got hot so response is much slower. And the detector is much more expensive, as is germanium glass used. Can't use cheap plastic lenses. The OLED you look at is quite common and cheap now. Interestingly, guy who invented OLED couldn't find anybody to buy the patent. Basically gave it away.
    Last edited by popper; 11-13-2023 at 11:55 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Thermal is THE way!

I have an older ATN Thor thermal weapon sight (2015) that was sold dirt cheap to me when it was about 4 or 5 years old. It is nearly 3 lbs and it makes an ordinary rifle into a moose! But it really reaches out.

That said I would very cautious about buying the newer ATNs. Their QC has left a lot of folks flat footed..

I hope they have corrected their ways though.

As another member has mentioned I-Ray, they seem very good!

There are other good ones though.

Also, I would put it on a bolt gun or an AR15, even if you have to buy one first. A bargin 223 bolt gun will out shoot the yardage you will typically hunt at.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    I just got the wraith 4k IR scope with IR illuminator and although I have not fired a shot yet, I am amazed at how crisp the picture is both day and night. I can really see myself smacking down some hogs with it.

Boolit Master
    The first is of 2 jackrabbits at 990 yards (small white dots), second is of a little whitetail buck at 325. Love my I-RAY!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Great information, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one of each and man does that work well. I bought an infiray T2 pro thermal that uses the screen from your cell phone its pretty cheap/ $350 ish. It is handheld and smallish so I use this for scanning the area. I also bought a sightmark Wraith weapon mounted NV scope. It has multiple settings for 5 guns or setups. I have it sighted in for a AR in 458 socom one setting with the suppressor mounted and one without, and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 one with the can and one without. The two items work together to let me have lots of flexability. Not super expensive yet seems to work pretty well for me.

Does the cell phone screen give you night blindness or expose you to prey?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Watching....
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

A guy brought a AR our to sight in days at my club with a ATN scope and let me see through it . The scope does have a troubling bit of a strobe effect if not held still on target .
    I had saw some complaints of this and now have seen the real thing in person .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no problem with the night blindness because the screen is blacked out and the images are grey. Also you can adjust brightness like any cell phone.

Boolit Master
    True thermal imaging will night blind you in your chosen eye.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast