RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: SAECO lead pot repair

Boolit Buddy

SAECO lead pot repair

I finally took my lead pot out of storage and thought I would rebuild it. I got an electrical shock from it the last time I used it so it needs a rebuild. I investigated the links and history provided by other users of this site and also reviewed the youtube video a man posted on how to do a rebuild. After looking up the prices, it seems its no longer reasonable to rebuilt it. The element alone now costs nearly $127 ! There are other components needed for a total rebuild so it looks like its no longer reasonable to rebuild it. Lee has a similar product available for $90. Anybody have any other ideas on cheaper parts, or is this old pot overdue for the garbage?

Boolit Buddy
    Get a Lee pot of your choice. And look at Lee's website for offerings of their pot parts. Will any of them fit?

Look for a heating element that can work and build a pid to control it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Thanks steveu, I looked but found only the one for $127 from McMaster Carr. I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Get a Lee pot of your choice. And look at Lee's website for offerings of their pot parts. Will any of them fit?
    Gunther, I appreciate the thought. I have a Lee pot that works just fine. I was just hoping to resurrect the Saeco, but not for the steep price for the element recommended in the sticky section. The Lee pot element might work...do you have a measurement of the diameter of that pot?

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Which SAECO pot are you in need of repair?

They made several models.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

Which SAECO pot are you in need of repair?

They made several models.

Cheers,

Dave
    Unfortunately, there is no model number shown on the pot. It is 5 1/4" wide and 5" deep. I hope that helps. I got it used at an estate sale.

Lee 5730 element may work and it’s about $5.

Boolit Buddy
    my Lee 4-20 pot has an inside diameter of 4 inches, an old Lyman 10 pounder (I think) is 2 3/4 ID. The Lee heater element, EL 3453, appears to wrap around the outside of the pot which might be about 4 3/8 inch. The EM1139 element fits their 10 pound pot in the same manner.
    It might be a good start to take your Saeco pot apart, carefully, and see what the problem is. Not much to lose, and it would be a shame to toss it if the problem is a loose connection.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    my Lee 4-20 pot has an inside diameter of 4 inches, an old Lyman 10 pounder (I think) is 2 3/4 ID. The Lee heater element, EL 3453, appears to wrap around the outside of the pot which might be about 4 3/8 inch. The EM1139 element fits their 10 pound pot in the same manner.
    It might be a good start to take your Saeco pot apart, carefully, and see what the problem is. Not much to lose, and it would be a shame to toss it if the problem is a loose connection.
    I took the thermostat cover off and found the connections good. The grounding lead was not connected. Maybe the previous owner was trying to use the pot, as was, accepting an electric shock possibility. There was no apparent short possibility I could see with the cover off. I suspect that the element shorted somewhere. I will most likely disassemble the pot and remove the element for possible replacement with a Lee substituted for the original. Thanks for the idea.

Boolit Master
    A Lee replacement element will not work with a Saeco pot. The Lee element just wraps around the pot, while a Saeco element completely encases the pot (and even wraps around the spout) For a new flexible tubular heating element this might work: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/be...t-length~25-1/

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    That's what I would do!
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Master

The $6.00 Lee thermostats can be tweaked to work on the Saeco pot. The heating element, I don't know about.
    I was worried about breaking the tabs off the heating element!
    A good electrical supply place will have the correct wire, to hook back to the heating element. I told the guy behind the counter 8-900 degree, and about 6 to 8 inches is more than long enough. He gave me the wire and connectors for free!! First time in his shop!
    I will go back and do some business with him again!
    If I could not get the thermostat to work I was just going to hard wire it to PID.
    Hatch builds and sells them on this site