Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Mystery Headstamp Mystery caliber

Mystery Headstamp Mystery caliber

I’ve got a bag of this brass that was sold to me as 8mm Mauser, but it is definitely larger than that. The case is larger than 8mm and 308, smaller than 30-06, and has a .30cal mouth. The base is fatter than any of the others I
    mentioned and has a headstamp that says 5 D T 79 2. Anyone know what it is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4294.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	318715

Show a side view. Head stamps don't mean an awful lot, since military head stamps don't give what chambering the cartridge is for, like commercial cartridges do. About what could be between the sizes you gave, I'd take a wild guess it could be 7.5x55mm Swiss, which uses a bullet that is 0.306-inches in diameter. For the Swiss cartridge, the nominal case length is 2.81-inches, and the head diameter is 0.495-inches. If what you have is pretty close to those, then that is what you have. The French 7.5x54 is a bit smaller than those dimensions, and it also takes pretty close to a 0.308-inch diameter bullet. The French cartridge is nothing more than the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser necked up to take a 0.3075-inch bullet. Good Luck finding out what you have.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like GP11 ammo for the K31's in 7.5x55 Swiss. Except for the neck and rim the case is almost identical to a 284 Winchester.

https://www.swisswaffen.com/gewehr-p...1/wnj3xao6edhm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-07-2023 at 05:00 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Heres a side shot. Mystery round - 8mm Mauser - 30’06Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4297.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	318719

Look inside and see if it is berdan primed. If so, I would definitely go with the 7.5 Swiss, since nearly all Swiss production was berdan. Commercial 7.5 ammo like that made by PPU, Norma, S&B and Graf&Sons was usually boxer, but the headstamps are easier to identify.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    I measured a fired GP 11 case, the base is .496 dia., and the length is 2.191 inches.

Yep, looks like GP-11. Thanks all! Anyone want some berdan primed brass?