WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Dan Wesson Barrels

Boolit Master

Dan Wesson Barrels

I need help. My usual machinist is just not getting the job done. He just moved (two years ago) and has not set up his lathe in his new shop. He has a couple blanks that he has agreed to turn and thread but they are still on his shelf.

When he last made barrels for me he actually had me run the lathe after he set it up and showed me the process. It is not hard or time-consuming work.

Any recommendations on a shop to do this.

Barrels are hard to come by now and pricy when they can be found.

If someone know a source for ready-made barrels for less than $100 I would buy them already made.

I need a 6" and a 4" .22 barrel, a 4 inch .32 (0.308) barrel.

I have plenty of shrouds but could use a few of the spanner wrenches.

I have blanks for the barrels if I find a machinist. It is just turning and threading not really gunsmithing.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

The DW "spanner" wrench for the barrel nut is fairly simple to turn on a lathe. OD is just under the ID of the barrel shroud. The ID hole in the wrench is just over the OD of the barrel. The teeth are cur square to fit the barrel nut recesses on two opposite sides. Drill a hole through the top for a rod, used as as a handle for tightening or loosening the barrel nut.

The barrel is turned straight to the major diameter of the treads and is threaded on both ends to fit the frame and barrel nut. The cylinder end should be cut for a forcing cone of 10-11 degrees with a forcing cone cutter to about .002 over the cylinder exit holes diameter, the muzzle should be crowned on the lathe. It is not just cutting a straight tube.

Done a few DW match barrels from blanks. However it has been a long time since the last DW was in my shop and I had an old barrel to go by. Two hard drive crashes, took all my current and saved data. Lessons learned about the super high rpm hard drive disks.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I need help. My usual machinist is just not getting the job done. He just moved (two years ago) and has not set up his lathe in his new shop. He has a couple blanks that he has agreed to turn and thread but they are still on his shelf.

When he last made barrels for me he actually had me run the lathe after he set it up and showed me the process. It is not hard or time-consuming work.

Any recommendations on a shop to do this.

Barrels are hard to come by now and pricy when they can be found.

If someone know a source for ready-made barrels for less than $100 I would buy them already made.

I need a 6" and a 4" .22 barrel, a 4 inch .32 (0.308) barrel.

I have plenty of shrouds but could use a few of the spanner wrenches.

I have blanks for the barrels if I find a machinist. It is just turning and threading not really gunsmithing.

Tim
    Tim -- I have no idea re present stock and prices -- or even availability -- but shortly after acquiring my Dan Wesson cases -- I have both the .357 and .22s, I wanted barrels both to fill the empty spaces in foam as I bought both quite used, missing both a few barrels and shrouds -- and got directed to the CZ-USA web-site which purportedly bought out ALL Dan Wesson stuff. The listed stock was sparse, and I took a chance making a telephone call. Much to my luck, two of the three barrels were available, and the prices were "affordable". Just a thought... albeit this was a few years back, you also may get lucky -- try ringing them?
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Tim -- I have no idea re present stock and prices -- or even availability -- but shortly after acquiring my Dan Wesson cases -- I have both the .357 and .22s, I wanted barrels both to fill the empty spaces in foam as I bought both quite used, missing both a few barrels and shrouds -- and got directed to the CZ-USA web-site which purportedly bought out ALL Dan Wesson stuff. The listed stock was sparse, and I took a chance making a telephone call. Much to my luck, two of the three barrels were available, and the prices were "affordable". Just a thought... albeit this was a few years back, you also may get lucky -- try ringing them?
    Good luck!
    geo
    I guess I should give them a call. Almost nothing available on their website.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The DW "spanner" wrench for the barrel nut is fairly simple to turn on a lathe. OD is just under the ID of the barrel shroud. The ID hole in the wrench is just over the OD of the barrel. The teeth are cur square to fit the barrel nut recesses on two opposite sides. Drill a hole through the top for a rod, used as as a handle for tightening or loosening the barrel nut.

The barrel is turned straight to the major diameter of the treads and is threaded on both ends to fit the frame and barrel nut. The cylinder end should be cut for a forcing cone of 10-11 degrees with a forcing cone cutter to about .002 over the cylinder exit holes diameter, the muzzle should be crowned on the lathe. It is not just cutting a straight tube.

Done a few DW match barrels from blanks. However it has been a long time since the last DW was in my shop and I had an old barrel to go by. Two hard drive crashes, took all my current and saved data. Lessons learned about the super high rpm hard drive disks.
    I know how to make the things I want but I only have a small bench lathe that won't do the threading. I doubt I could get a die with the right threads; they are odd ball. That is why I used my friend's lathe but like I said he moved and has not set up his lathe, his new shop is a mess totally packed with stuff he has not unpacked. The wrench, I would just soon buy one if the price is reasonable, I could make it like you said but without a mill it would be tedious to cut the lugs with a file. The wrenches are available but they are getting $75 for the new plastic ones, ugg.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    T....The barrel is turned straight to the major diameter of the treads and is threaded on both ends to fit the frame and barrel nut. The cylinder end should be cut for a forcing cone of 10-11 degrees with a forcing cone cutter to about .002 over the cylinder exit holes diameter, the muzzle should be crowned on the lathe. It is not just cutting a straight tube.

I can do the forcing cone and the crown and even turn the blank to diameter but I need help with the threading.

Boolit Master
    I just measured the threads again, I gave my drawing to my machinist buddy. Threads for .357 are 17/32ths x 40 tpi for both the muzzle nut and the frame end of the barrel. I am off to look for a die.

Tim

Boolit Master

After several tries, I had good luck at last with a lady in the office, who went back and searched their old stock of parts. The email I have, from last year, is

Genny Spencer
    Office & Production Manager
    Genny@cz-usa.com

She's busy but helpful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    After several tries, I had good luck at last with a lady in the office, who went back and searched their old stock of parts. The email I have, from last year, is

Genny Spencer
    Office & Production Manager
    Genny@cz-usa.com

She's busy but helpful.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    where in LA are you located, if all you need is threading I can help if your not in a rush
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    where in LA are you located, if all you need is threading I can help if your not in a rush
    I am in Slidell. No, I might be in a rush but that would not matter. I still have to get my blanks back from my buddy and turn them to diameter. Even if you are not local, I would pay for shipping both ways and include something for your help.

Tim

Boolit Master
    I’m in Brusly / Baton Rouge
    When you get your barrels turned down get with me
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    I’m in Brusly / Baton Rouge
    When you get your barrels turned down get with me
    Sure thing, I just deleted 100 messages from my inbox after I got a notice it was full. Just incase you tried to send me a message.

Tim