Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need Hornady LNL guidance! Anyone in the Dallas-Ft Worth area who can help?

Boolit Mold

Need Hornady LNL guidance! Anyone in the Dallas-Ft Worth area who can help?

Hello everyone!
    I started reloading 15 years ago on a Lee Turret press. Several months ago someone gifted me a Hornady Lock n Load press which I installed on my reloading bench. From what I can see the press didn't came with a manual or the dies that were originally included in the kit so I'm struggling with setting it up. I tried to watch a couple of Youtube videos but I'm still having trouble making it work. I learned this press can be used with Lee dies but I can't figure out how to to make the Hornady powder metering device work with the Lee powder die (among other things, like why sometimes it does incorrect indexing).
    So my question is: is there anyone here on this forum who lives in the DFW area who is willing to spend an hour or so to help me setup and make this press work?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

They don't come with dies, but any of the major brand dies will fit it.

I think you'll need to get the Hornady powder measure and kit for it to work right.
    The Lee powder system might work, I'm not familiar with it though.

I think saw that the Hornady site has the owner's manual and set up guide as a free download/PDF.

Setting up their powder measure is pretty straight forward, but the primer system is a little finicky
    to set up and get right. I sure like mine, and can't imagine one working any better.

I never fully appreciated the die bushing thing. It's a solution for a problem I don't have,
    and made to compete with other brands that have a quick change plate while keeping the dies in it.
    I JB welded all mine in except the powder drop station.

If it isn't indexing correctly when making full strokes, there are adjustments to fix that.
    Or look under the base plate. There's a 3/16" steel plate thing that looks like a ninja star.
    If someone forced the pull handle, it can break off one of the 'legs'. (don't ask how I figured that out)
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-05-2023 at 10:06 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I live in McKinney but I'm out of town for the week and busy the next 3 weekends. Read the following and if you're still stuck, we might be able to meet in the evening.

Make sure you have the LnL Die bushings. Once you screw in a standard 7/8"x14 die into the bushing, you can then plug the die into the press. You also need a shellplate for the cartridge you intend to load.

The best videos to set up the LnL AP are the Hornady ones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0agpmbg34I

You can download the LnL AP instructions here:

It's labeled AP(TM) Press instructions

https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/

Incorrect indexing often requires pawl adjustment. You only need to turn the pawls maybe an eighth of a turn to make the indexing work properly and another eighth messes it up the other way.

I use 90% Lee dies on my LnL AP but I use the case activated Hornady LnL AP Powder measure. I don't know if you can use the Lee Powder measure on the LnL AP.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They don't come with dies, but any of the major brand dies will fit it.

I think you'll need to get the Hornady powder measure and kit for it to work right.
    The Lee powder system might work, but I think you'd have to actuate it manually.

I think saw that the Hornady site has the owner's manual and set up guide as a free download/PDF.

Setting up their powder measure is pretty straight forward, but the primer system is a little finicky
    to set up and get right.

I never fully appreciated the die bushing thing. It's a solution for a problem I don't have,
    and made to compete with other brands that have a quick change plate while keeping the dies in it.
    I JB welded all mine in except the powder drop station.

If it isn't indexing correctly when making full strokes, there are adjustments to fix that.
    Or look under the base plate. There's a 3/16" steel plate thing that looks like a ninja star.
    If someone forced the pull handle, it can break off one of the 'legs'. (don't ask how I figured that out)
    I do use the bushings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2CD43F91-CD8A-47BA-A36B-5E727A53FDD1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	318693

Boolit Master

it took me awhile to like the bushings but now i do, makes caliber changes easy. the hornady powder drop is far better than the dillon and more repeatable, stop trying to make other manufactures stuff work on the lnl and you will be better off, once you understand it better than you can mix and match. use an o ring instead of that stupid spring to hold cases in and run it dry until you can make it work for 10 minutes before you actually load with it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

If you still need help perhaps I can assist. Just send a PM.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    If you still need help perhaps I can assist. Just send a PM.
    PM sent.

Boolit Master
    Watch these videos. He’s different however they will take you through all issues you may have. We can talk on here but if you follow through the videos you will get it working properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC1O5FzSCA

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee powder die is not going to work with the Hornady measure.

The press should have come with all the parts to at least drop the powder into the case but it won’t expand or flare the case.

The Lee die should be able to be used to expand the case in a separate station.

As stated, downloaded the manual. These presses work quite well. Make sure it’s solidly mounted to a non flexing bench and level.

JW

Boolit Buddy
    What caliber are you trying to load?

Most definitely clean the shipping goo/oil off as explained in the video!
    Don’t ask how I know…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Most definitely clean the shipping goo/oil off as explained in the video!
    Don’t ask how I know…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the OP was gifted an incomplete used LnL AP so the packing grease is probably long gone but he should get a can of One Shot gun cleaner and dry lube anyway along with a grease gun with zerk fittings.

Don’t know if he has a modern LnL AP or the old style “pro-jector” type. That’s another can of worms he’ll need to deal with if it’s the latter.

Adding the case activated powder drop will be $100+ with the extra hardware but well worth it.