Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Question on 9.3x72 Normal - slug diameter

Boolit Mold

Question on 9.3x72 Normal - slug diameter

I picked up a nice German Drilling. Rifle barrel is marked as 9.3x72 normal. In researching the gun and the barrel markings, I have determined that it was built to handle smokeless loads. I had the gun checked out by a gunsmith, he gives the a-ok. I had him slug the barrel and it comes out as 0.363". I've found some new modern ammunition for it made by Sellier & Bellot. Bullets are copper jacket and 0.366" diameter. Any opinions on whether shooting this 0.366" is unsafe or will cause a problem?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have any experience with this cartridge, but I am a drilling fan. I found this information on the "Normal" version of this cartridge as opposed to the earlier Deutche, English, or French versions of the cartridge.
    https://www.gunboards.com/threads/9-...tridge.469001/

Can you tell the approximate year of manufacture for your drilling based on the proofs? I have to assume that S&B would make ammo to the standardized "normal" dimensions, and further assume that S&B would make their factory loads mild in deference to the older guns chambered in that cartridge just like the US ammo industry loads 45-70 to trapdoor level. That is of course speculation.

The .003 tighter groove diameter, may not be too crazy if the chamber and throat will allow the bullet to freely exit the cartridge and swage into the rifling. Do you have any of the S&W ammo in hand to check fit in the chamber? Have you cast your chamber?

Boolit Mold
    It was made May of 1911. I haven't had a chamber cast made. The cost would be about the same as a box of ammo so I guess I will go ahead and buy a box and see how they fit. I've read that some of the pre 1914 guns still have slight variations whether they are marked "Normal" or not.