Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: MEC question

Boolit Master

MEC question

I have a MEC 400 in 16 gauge that is missing the final crimp die. This was a loose die and not attached to the machine. My father misplaced this die when he moved to a new house many years ago and we have not been able to reload with it since. I was wondering if a final crimp die from a 600 jr or other MEC press will fit. Anyone have the answer? I have a 400 MEC in 12 gauge that was left to me by my uncle and it has the same problem. Both are complete except for the final crimp die. I talked to MEC about this and the lady would only say "we no longer stock or make parts for the 400 loader". She would not answer my question as to whether the modern final crimp dies would fit. Oh yah, I have been monitoring evil bay for several years hoping to find the die/dies with no luck. Thanks, james

If they don't cost much, I'd get and try the new one.
    On most of these loading tools, there is a lot of common parts that cross over from one to another.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

You could also try , since you only need to do the final crimp . Have you think of use a roll crimp to see if that will work for you . I know for some of my hulls that did not fold right I use the roll crimp and they came out nice , just a idea. I got my roll crimp from BPI. I use a bench drill press . Have it in my reloading room. Also easy to move around if need to .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have a MEC 400 in 16 gauge that is missing the final crimp die. This was a loose die and not attached to the machine. My father misplaced this die when he moved to a new house many years ago and we have not been able to reload with it since. I was wondering if a final crimp die from a 600 jr or other MEC press will fit. Anyone have the answer? I have a 400 MEC in 12 gauge that was left to me by my uncle and it has the same problem. Both are complete except for the final crimp die. I talked to MEC about this and the lady would only say "we no longer stock or make parts for the 400 loader". She would not answer my question as to whether the modern final crimp dies would fit. Oh yah, I have been monitoring evil bay for several years hoping to find the die/dies with no luck. Thanks, james
    Seems like that crimping sleeve gets lost a lot. All the used 400 that I see are missing it.
    For 16 gauge it will be 2 9/16"
    Bet someone could make one with lathe

Boolit Master
    Watched video on YouTube guy using a Herters #5 loader. Looks just like Mec 400. The part your looking for is in the video

Boolit Master

Now you made me curious I have a Mec 400 press and can not remember how I did the final crimp ?
    Mine is 12 gauge I have the final crimp tool I can not find the instruction manual that I have filed away ....
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

firefly1957, I have a reprint of the instruction manual for the 400 press. If you need a copy, I will print it and mail a copy to you. Send me a message with your address if you need one. The die that I need for both the 16 and 12 is marked #448. It fits both the 12 and 16 according to my literature. james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    firefly1957, I have a reprint of the instruction manual for the 400 press. If you need a copy, I will print it and mail a copy to you. Send me a message with your address if you need one. The die that I need for both the 16 and 12 is marked #448. It fits both the 12 and 16 according to my literature. james
    Thanks for the offer I went though My reloading room library and found the original booklet . The 400 is not the best press for crimping shells the 600 is much better . The instructions on my press are only for fiber wads but the press works with modern wads well also .

A couple years ago during covid lockdowns I reworked one of the charge bars for the old press to drop 3/4 oz. shot and take newer powder bushings as I could not even order shot bar online. The light 3/4 oz. charges are used in a very tightly choked Stevens Mod. 315 double 12 Ga. and are effective one possums out to 40 yards if I AIM correctly . They are useless for a fast running red squirrel as the pattern is so small I have trouble hitting them on the run!

My first Name is also James if I knew this was such a good group of people I would have used it rather then old CB handle here . I had been lurking a while and joined to answer some questions on the .351 WSL 13 years ago.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    firefly1957, is it possible to add the crimping sleeve from a 600 jr to that 400 frame? Or a whole dies set change over? You’ve probably already thought of this, but I had to ask.
    Be safe out there.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Budzilla 19 Great question I suppose a guy could but he would also need the parts under the stations to hold the shells down or they would get stuck in the two crimp stations . It would also be wise to add the bar that holds the wad fingers like the mec 600 so you could put in wads in the station where powder & shot go in. That station would then need to hold down the shell also...
    I am starting to remember why I have not used the 400 much over the years I have had it. The owner died and his kids sold it off for $15 with 10 lbs. of BB lead shot ,some fibre wads , and a Alcan 5 can full of many types of powder mixed!

I spilled the powder on the ground and run a piece of masking tape to it as a fuse at first it slowly burned then it went poof almost a thud and a rolling fireball went 30 feet in the air! The heat was very impressive and killed the grass in about a 8 foot radius. I guess I should have ran the powder in a line rather then a pile but would that have been as much fun?
    Last edited by firefly1957; 10-11-2023 at 06:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    currently several 400s on ebay $30-50 range as TN said the 12 and 16 ga are the same looks like what you need

Boolit Master

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/owners-manuals-sr

down load the PDF for 400

part numbers 448-12 and 448-16

I also believe Texas sleeves will work

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 10-08-2023 at 11:55 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Another possibility would be to pick up one of the tools below and roll crimp the shells ! P.S. for 12 gauge I spin a 3/4" dowel in the case mouth to remove crimp folds before roll crimping.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shot shell.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	318780

Boolit Master

Several years ago a fellow gave me a "complete" set of 20 gauge dies for the MEC 250. Well I don't have a 20 gauge nor 250, so they were set back in the parts area and I never went thru them until late last night. Low and behold among those 20 gauge parts were 2 of the 448 dies (both marked 448 12). I was a happy puppy with the find. Now I need to figure out how best to set up and get operational these 2 400 presses (1 for 12 gauge and 1 for 16 gauge). I have never loaded on a MEC 400 and the manual sure looks different than the Model 650 and Grabbers that I am familiar with. These 400's were my fathers and uncles and that is the reason I wanted to get them up and operational, not really interested in using them much. They will both go to my son eventually since he is a "collector" and very proud of his Grandfather. james

Boolit Master

I love it when I look though stuff and find just what I need !
    More often I go buy what I need or even make it then put it on top of the one I could not find!

Boolit Master

Well, the measure for the 400 (the part that holds the bottles and powder bar) will not come over far enough to be useable. It lacks a good 1/2 inch coming over the powder/shot drop tube. It was sold to me as a Model 400 part some time ago but I had never tried it to see if it fit until today. Here we go again. Just when I thought I was going to get the 400 back in operation. james

Boolit Master

I am embarrassed to admit that I made a mistake on the above post. The measure bar holder "does" fit, I just had not noticed that the handle and head was not coming all the way up when released. It now rides where it should when the handle is all the way up. I cleaned the old dried grease off the machine and now it works quite well. 82 and still learning to take my time and observe more closely when setting up to load. james