Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: First Time Out With Mossberg 43

Boolit Buddy

First Time Out With Mossberg 43

Today was the first time since I purchased this rifle to really get it out and sight it in and just enjoy shooting some .22. I was really pleased with it. The trigger is adjustable. It breaks at about 2lbs my guess with no creep and very crisp. For not having shot open sights in a very very long time, I was pleased at how I did. I tried some Winchester target ammo and some Federal auto match and it didn't like them at all. It seemed to like federal bulk pack high velocity the best. That's fine with me! It's cheep! Target range was 50 yards. I look forward to getting better with this rifle.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Very nice rifle, I have a 46b with the same aperture sight. They do shoot very well.

I do have a Mossberg 4X scope but a Weaver mount.

Boolit Master

NICE! I'm not really sure why Mossberg never stayed in the target .22 market. I've got one of the 144LSA's that will hold it's own with some of the really great ones, and the stock may have come out of the same straight-grained, dense, and pretty tree as yours did.

If you have the inclination, sample some higher end rounds through it - odds are it'll surprise you.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy

That is a beautiful rifle!!!
    I have a 44US, and love it. These old Mossbergs are shooters for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! I lucked up and got a Wards model 20 scope still in the box. Looking forward to putting it on and playing with that this weekend.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!!! Bion, my very first rifle was/is a Mossberg .22 Model 43 gifted to me by my Great Uncle Vinca in 1958 or 1959! Not as pretty as yours, it is adorned with a fixed 4x telescopic site, and Uncle Vinca --bion, true! -- used it to shoot rabbits (for eating) from the 3rd Avenue El in New York City! As a ten-year-old I had the rifle, but my dad had the ammo -- Eley .22 short -- and the magazine. When I asked, and it was OK'd (99% of time ) I got the mag and three loose .22 shorts. This was for trips out on Long Island where quite a few squirrels met their end.
    I have a few mags to complement this fine .22, and they have the screw in for .22 short shooting. I do not believe I ever shot long's or long rifle's in it.
    Happy for you!!!
    geo