Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to try a nice air rifle. Kratos or.....

Boolit Buddy

Wanting to try a nice air rifle. Kratos or.....

I've been wanting to try a nice air rifle for a while now. I'm pretty set on a PCP as I am chief of the local fire department and have full access to the air system which can provide 6000psi. I've looked at several and the wood stocked rifles are really speaking to me though that's isn't a deal breaker. I've looked pretty hard at the Benjamin Kratos. I've seen them for $589 fleabay to $702 from crossman direct. So .25 or .22 cal and why? Most shot will be inside 50yds I would suspect. Won't be used for hunting unless it takes an occasional squirrel that is causing problems in my building but the 22k hornet is really geared for that. What other options do you recommend? I'm not set on Benjamin but FX and daystate are out of the question.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    I've been wanting to try a nice air rifle for a while now. I'm pretty set on a PCP as I am chief of the local fire department and have full access to the air system which can provide 6000psi. I've looked at several and the wood stocked rifles are really speaking to me though that's isn't a deal breaker. I've looked pretty hard at the Benjamin Kratos. I've seen them for $589 fleabay to $702 from crossman direct. So .25 or .22 cal and why? Most shot will be inside 50yds I would suspect. Won't be used for hunting unless it takes an occasional squirrel that is causing problems in my building but the 22k hornet is really geared for that. What other options do you recommend? I'm not set on Benjamin but FX and daystate are out of the question.
    I have eleven PCP arms, of five different manufacturers. If I was asked, should all be lost, which I would purchase as a first replacement it would be, without a doubt, the Benjamin Marauder pistol in .22. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marauder Pistol.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	318528 Several reasons include the stock is readily removable so you have -- at your whim -- either a hand held pistol or a shoulder-able carbine; I have two and both are "scary-accurate"; you get a lot of shots from one air-fill; using a magazine OR the also supplied single-shot tray -- either is your choice. It is also quite light to carry; VERY easy to put on a 'scope should you elect. (Mine are both scoped) And, in the realm of prices -- rather fairly affordable -- imho a real bargain for what one gets! If you are so inclined, there are quite a few aftermarket add-ons as well. Lastly, my two are not in any way toooo pellet-picky. I have pellets in the "high" cost range, and found the el cheapos shoot almost -- if not AS -- well.
    You asked... what I would do
    geo

Boolit Master
    I have a Daystate Huntsman with a HUMA regulator and it shoots as well at 50 yards as any of my excellent target .22lr rifles. That’s saying a lot, one of my rifles is an Anschutz and another is a CZ. That being said, when my neighbor/hunting buddy asked what he should get I told him the Marauder. Why? It’s less than half the cost and shoots 90-95% as accurate. On a dead calm day I can shoot the Daystate into .5” five shot groups at fifty yards. My friend can shoot his Marauder into an inch or less for half the cost. Also, the Marauder is made in the USA and parts like magazines are five times cheaper than a mag for the Daystate. The Marauder is the best bargain out there. Oh yeah, you can also get the Marauder with a Lothar barrel for a few extra bucks. Geo is spot on with his comments.

Moderator Emeritus

I've only got one pcp, my Air Venturi with wood stock and in 25 cal. I love it and deadly accurate. Can't go wrong with the prices on them either. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    You have received good advice. NSB helped me out when I went down the rabbit hole

I would strongly suggest staying with the .22. Both of my PCP rifles will shoot the cheap Crosman 14.3 pellets into under an inch at 50 yards. Not bad for pellets that are less than $7/500. The JSB’s and Air Arms will shave about 1/4” off the group. You can shoot the Crosmans all weekend for less than $10 and get very good accuracy.

The .25’s are costly but will buck wind better and be more effective on varmints, but like you I have better options for critters.

I have two friends with Marauders and they love them, but my Daystate is more accurate. Not sure it is worth $400-500 more. One thing I do not like about the Marauder rifle is the weight.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I think a Marauder is kind of a no brainier as they have a long history. The Craftsman line of Turkey made Crossman are doing well it seems and parts and tuning are becoming available.

Both mine are Air Arms, very hard to beat, quality and accuracy at the finest.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have eleven PCP arms, of five different manufacturers. If I was asked, should all be lost, which I would purchase as a first replacement it would be, without a doubt, the Benjamin Marauder pistol in .22. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marauder Pistol.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	318528
    +1 we have the same Marauder. I enlarged the tport to .143" iirc, it gets less but noticeably harder hitting shots.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I'm going with a rifle either way.i love opening the basement door and laying on the rug just plinking away at what ever I see. Shooting dirt clods yesterday with a 22lr and a Gamo break 22 air rifle.

Have a look at the Air Venturi Avenger, At Pyramyd Air. $350 and mine is a .25 and is scary accurate and more powerful than any of my Springers. I got a Spiritech Compressor off Amazon for about $300 and am set up for a long time.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2318.jpg   IMG_2311.jpg   IMG_2303.jpg   IMG_2308.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I like how you can have Pyramyd Air test a gun before you receive it. Found another company that certifies Benjamin rifles to shoot slugs and pellets to a dime size at 30yds for about $30 more.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Have a look at the Air Venturi Avenger, At Pyramyd Air. $350 and mine is a .25 and is scary accurate and more powerful than any of my Springers. I got a Spiritech Compressor off Amazon for about $300 and am set up for a long time.

Randy
    I have the same one but with a wood stock. Love it.

Boolit Mold
    I would stongly suggest a USED Brocock Bantam or other Brocock in 22cal. I have bought 2 on the Airgun Nation classifieds for under $600. used and both are great rifles. High quality and tackdrivers. Brococks are made by Daystate.

I think Geo nailed it with the Marauder pistol. Wouldn't think of using it as a pistol but it is an amazing carbine with the stock on it. Also very easy to fill with a hand pump.
    If I were to start over this would be my 1st pick. There's an outfit called Buckrail that among other things makes a tube you can screw
    on the receiver to take AR type stocks. I find I get a much better cheek weld with it than the one that comes with it.
    It's a tiny bit more powerful than my springer and a LOT more accurate. Was surprised how nice the trigger was on a gun at this price too.
    There are TWO Marauders, a rifle and the pistol. They are completely different. Heard good things about the rifle,
    but no experience with it.
    Last edited by chutesnreloads; 10-06-2023 at 05:05 PM.

My suggestion for all it is worth, is you want a wood stock, buy something with a wood stock, if you don't it will always be eating at you.
    Not an air rifle, but I bought a Henry H010X because of the rifled barrel, it no longer sports a plastic stock, it now has an American walnut stock of my own making.
    Actually, the Marauder sounds like a nice gun I would not mind owning, I could always make a nice wood stock for it.
    Brain Fart!! I meant "Threaded Barrel".

Boolit Buddy
    Marauder is on my list for sure. Pyramyd Air has 20% off right now.

Boolit Buddy
    I´ll differ a tad, in a positive manner.

The Marauder is what we´d call a mid range hang tag gun and that there mid range as far as PCP´s is an absolute hornets nest. There´s SO much to pick from it gets silly.

What clouds the picture a little is the ever ongoing progress as far as PCP´s in as much.. take the Avenger for instance. About a year ago everyone and his grandmother "needed" an Avenger.
    A year has passed and that fad has both come and gone. However, the point is that it´s STILL a good gun!

I guess what i´m saying is that my vote would no doubt go for a used piece, whatever that piece turns out to be. In short to get more for your hard earned dollar.
    Thing is that a used PCP, midrange and up, almost always carries with it that it has rarely seen service and.. they will take that. One of my personal favorites is when they show up for sale "broken", which always almost comes down to picking the piece apart, replacing the occasional o-ring AND clean its innards up.

Fact is.. i´ll start yet another of my threads in a few mins.. talk about semi high end at bargain prices..

Boolit Buddy
    I've been watching classifieds over at airgun nation for a while now

Boolit Buddy
    Good call.

Boolit Buddy
    Just read your BSA thread. Good write up. Wish I had more time and skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast