RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanting to try a nice air rifle. Kratos or.....

Boolit Buddy
    Thx.
    Just be aware that far far from all "broken" PCP´s are on the level of that BSA. On the contrary, most PCP´s are rather simple to the build, especially so the non reg ones and at that rate it more often than not comes down to replacing the occasional busted o-ring.

Keep in mind that i´ve been doing this for a while and thus can go after projects that´d make most ppl frown. Keep heavy machinery as TIG welders and what not to back that up so..
    Most enthusiast are not even close to that, which i fully appreciate.

However.
    To replace the occasional broken o-ring or malfunctioning regulator you need none of that heavy machinery and what not. It´ll suffice just fine with regular hand tools.

Btw. Check out the pinned post on that Kral Puncher Breaker of mine too, valuable lessons to be learned there too (as many other former posts of mine on the subject TBH.).

Boolit Buddy

I keep an older PCP Beeman Theoben Rapide that is 25 caliber at my South Florida house in the Keys. The 25 cal pellets I like are the 31 gr H&N German conventional pellets. Had a 5mm Sheridan that worked well too. We have a infestation of South American Iguanas an hour south of Miami. The Beeman gun shoots like it has eyes! I charge the gun with a 3000 lb scuba bottle through a newly added Foster guick fill connector. Just won a new GX CS2 PCP Air compressor in an auction for $100. I pumps to 4000 psi. Going to try it too. Now in Monroe County discharge of a firearm is illegal. Too many people live on the island. Air rifles are allowed and work quite well. A can of pellets will pile up a lot of Iguanas. But if you compare the cost of ammo: 22 LR ammo is $ .06 to $.07 per round. My bolt action suppressed 22 is quieter than my PCP air rifle. The .25 cal 31 gr pellets cost $.06/ round About the same as standard velocity 22 long rifle ammo. I like air rifles and pistols but the .25 cal pellets cost the same as 22 Long Rifle ammo. No difference in killing power! The .25 Beeman drives a 31 gr pellet right through a big fat Iguana as does my 22 Marlin. But I am not breaking any local ordnances with the PCP Beeman.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beeman.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	319061
    Last edited by Rockindaddy; 10-18-2023 at 08:06 PM. Reason: photo

Boolit Master
    Kratos is a tac driver with AA pells. The only negative i have had is the wood had no finish on it. That was easily fixed and I love it. on Flebay you can find barrel bands. I do recommend them!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Recently got my hands on a Benjamin Cayden. I think it is essentially the same rifle as the Kratos you were looking at but with an
    air tube rather than a bottle. Not had it long enough to get a good feel for it but can give some quick comparisons.

The stock feels unfinished but feels nice nonetheless. Will be a easy to fix.

It is more pellet picky than my other PCPs but does really like the Crosmans you can find at any Walmart. It shoots the new JTS pellets
    lights out.

Really like the foster fill fitting so you don't need a special probe.

Like the Picatinny rail for scope mount and it comes with another rail mounts underneath for bipods and such and it comes with sling swivel
    studs in the stock. If you will be carrying it much a BIG plus.

It isn't as nice as the Daystate but the price is considerably less. So, if your still after something nicer, I think you're on the right track.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buck1 View Post
    Kratos is a tac driver with AA pells. The only negative i have had is the wood had no finish on it. That was easily fixed and I love it. on Flebay you can find barrel bands. I do recommend them!
    What is the purpose of the barrel band?

Boolit Buddy
    Well I just ordered a Kratos from Airgun Revisions. Decided to go with 22. Added his service inspection and tune kit. With the $39 service he tests and I Believe lists the pellet it likes most

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kratos 50yd.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	320009
    50yd 12 shot group air arms pellets. I'm happy thus far.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	16990501292063977563433266276799 (1).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	320010
    Cheap Walmart pellets at 27yds 12 shots

Name:	Kratos groupcheapo.jpg 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	320011

Still not had time to really see what my Cayden (same rifle with different air tube) likes best but the cheap Crosman pellets are
    definitely in the top three so far. Wanting to find a slug it likes to extend hunting range

Boolit Buddy
    Air Arms 16g tightened my 50 yard group by almost half

Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Air Arms 16g tightened my 50 yard group by almost half
    Will have to retry those, they weren't in my top three...

Boolit Buddy
    H&N and JSB were also recommended to me

Boolit Grand Master
    I shoot outdoors and deal with wind constantly. Pellet testing is much different than wringing out a load with a CF rifle. I am not good at "reading the wind". and pellets are very wind sensitive.

IMO the same pellets will have significant group size variations from hour to hour over a long session and if winds are shifting, and day to day. Selecting the "right" pellet is not something you (or should I say I) can do by shooting five 5 shot groups.

Here are my 50 yard results. Guns "like" different pellets so you need to do the testing and decide what works for you.

As a preamble, I tested at least 15 different pellets. Many were eliminated after one or two groups, and I ended up with five pellets worth the effort of extensive testing.

After a handful of preliminary testing the AA 16.0 gr seemed to be "the" pellet. Half of the first 10 groups, shot on a "good' day were .5" or less! I the ended up shooting 69 groups. The day to day variation was driving me nuts, but 69 groups averaged .70"

Next up, the JSB 15.89. 45 groups averaged the same .70". I understand JSB makes the AA pellets so that might explain the similar results.

The two H&N pellets I tried were unimpressive. 20 groups with the 21.14 Match pellets gave .88" and 19 groups with the Barracuda Hunters delivered .87".

The Crosman 14.3 gr pellets yielded .77" for 45 groups.

My gun (or my ability?) made the decision to go with $7/500 pellets easy. Spending 3x the money to get 1/16" better groups was not worth it.

I had a .2" group with the AA pellets and it is easy to fool yourself when that happens. And the out of the first 10 groups, half were .5" or less. It was one reason I shot 69 groups...hoping to find the "magic". But the .2" group was "luck". Still a great pellet, but not a .5" pellet in my gun with this guy operating it.

IMO I need to fire at least 20 groups to know how a pellet will perform. If someone is a better shooter they may need less.

Luckily, I enjoy shooting, so it is not onerous for me. I will put up a target with 5 dots and have at it. BTW. notice the "flier" in almost every group.

Name:	JSB Exact 091921.jpg 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	320101
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Daystate JSB 2 091921.jpg  
    Last edited by dverna; 11-18-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    At 6-7 cents each or more I'm going to do most of my shooting with the cheaper Crossman or may even try another brand and reserve the better pellets when accuracy dictates. Popping cans, cheap cookies, or what ever else that doesn't require minute of big accuracy will get more affordable options.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the Athlon Talos and Burris signature zee rings installed. A scope that focuses down to 10yds is extremely nice.

Have you experimented with the power adjust screw on the left side of the rifle? My Cayden came set at or near max. Not had time to try mine yet, Curious how much
    velocity difference it can make.
    Just got a cheap chronograph that will get a real workout soon

Boolit Buddy
    Not yet been waiting for deer season to be over as I have been taking my son every chance I've got which isn't much. I haven't chronographed it at all yet. It is set as airgun revisions shipped it after their tuning kit installed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12