Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 cal traditions

32 cal traditions

Was wondering. Does Robert Hoyte do barrel work on Tradition barrels like the 32 Crockett say if you wanted it to be a 36 cal. Any one had him do one for you?
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    I bet Hoyt can bore the Crockett barrel to .36
    I sent him a TC Renegade .50 to him yesterday to be re bored out to .54.
    He has done a bunch of barrels for me in the last two years both having them Rebored to a larger caliber , Relined to the same as the original caliber but sometimes with a different rifling twist.
    And I had him Refresh several barrels.
    That is just re rifling the barrel a little deeper and cleaned up some rough looking bores.
    Just give him a call next week and ask him.
    I have a Crockett rifle that I built for my wife.
    It is great , but I would like one of a little larger caliber too for just a little bigger game hunting.
    If I ever found a spare barrel maybe that is not in too great of shape, I might have him rebore it.
    Last edited by LAGS; 10-01-2023 at 12:59 AM.

I had him do a couple for me but i thought the breech plug on the traditions were a problem.

P.S LAGS thank for the info on my cub deluxe 32 lock. Got a sear ordered for it today.

Boolit Master
    I do know that Traditions voids the warranty if you ever pull the breech plug out.
    But I am sure that it can be removed and re installed or even replaced with a new breech plug.
    But I have never seen any breech plugs available or for sale for Traditions and other companies that are still in business.
    The breech plug on the Crockett is similar to a TC breech plug.
    I see no reason why it can't be pulled.
    Last edited by LAGS; 10-01-2023 at 01:43 AM.

Good to know. been watching gun broker for a cheap 32 to make into a 36

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Give him a call - The one question to ask is about the breech plug an if he can un-breech it.

I had a Crockett - I got it in a trade - I was honest, the guy I made a trade with was not - not a face to face deal. I discovered that the barrel had a bulge about 12" from the breech. How the guy did it, I'll never know. I sold the stock/parts and gave the barrel to a fellow who wanted a barrel to practice boring and relining on. I liked the Crockett and it was a decent little production rifle - but like many rifles built in this lawyer run world, installing a breech plug so it is extremely hard to get out, IMHO, serves no purpose. They would have a stroke if they saw the coarse thread pitch on the many original rifles and barrels I have seen in the last 60 years - made that way so the plug could be removed easily if need be.

A Crockett in 36 would be a nice rifle. Let us know if what you find out from Bobby Hoyt. He does great work.

Boolit Master
    That .50 cal.TC barrel that I just sent to Hoyt has a new breech plug that I installed.
    When I got the used barrel.
    It had a load in the barrel.
    The inside was so rusted that the breech plug got the threads stripped off when I pulled the breech plug.
    So , I cut an 1 1/2" off the chamber end of the barrel.
    I drilled and tapped it for a flintlock style breech plug that I got from TOW.
    I could not find a TC style breech plug to use.
    So I will be building this barrel into a new style rifle.
    I have not decided if I am going to build it into a flintlock , or install a drum and make it a percussion rifle.
    Or, it just came to mind.
    I can build this rifle into a gun with both flint and percussion locks that could be switched out for the type of ignition system I want to shoot.

I have switch barrel rifles but never thought about a switch ignition black powder. Very interesting idea!

Boolit Master
    Just another Fun Project.
    I love making good ideas out of parts that were junk.
    Hmm
    Now you got me thinking.
    I have 6 extra TC percussion locks.
    So now I need to find a TC Flint lock.
    That way , it is pretty much the same inletting in the stock that I will build.
    Last edited by LAGS; 10-01-2023 at 01:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I do know that Traditions voids the warranty if you ever pull the breech plug out.
    But I am sure that it can be removed and re installed or even replaced with a new breech plug.
    But I have never seen any breech plugs available or for sale for Traditions and other companies that are still in business.
    The breech plug on the Crockett is similar to a TC breech plug.
    I see no reason why it can't be pulled.
    The problem is that the nipple drum screws through the end of the breech plug (I am assuming Traditions is similar to CVA?) - I have no doubt some one as skilled as Hoyt (or Lags) could match the threads well enough to reinstall the plug and drum satisfactorily. OTOH there are plenty of ham fisted amateurs out there would mess it up and many of em have taken on board the myth that it is a good idea to pull the breech plug periodically - hence the warranty warnings.

Boolit Master
    @Joe.
    The Traditions Crockett .32 has a breech plug that is a patent style and not a nipple drum like the CVA's that threads into the plug .
    I had no reason to pull the breech plug on my Crockett , but would think it was exactly like the TC breech plugs.
    I have a Pedersolli .32 flinter kit that I need to build.
    But now Lead Chucker got me thinking that I could also buy a .36 cal or even .45 barrel for that kit from Pedersolli before I start building that kit.
    That way I can make that rifle with Two different barrels.
    When I bought a Lyman GPR kit.
    I also ordered a second barrel with the Hunting barrel twist.
    That rifle too will be built so the two barrels will be universally fit so they can be easily switched out perfectly.
    Lead Chucker also has a Pedersolli Cub like mine in .32.
    Getting a larger caliber barrel for that rifle would also be an option for him.
    I also have TC Hawken and Renegade rifles that I have several barrels that I can swap out the barrels to different calibers or barrel twists .
    That pistol that I just posted the build about has a flinter style breech plug and a nipple drum that I installed.
    I have pulled the breech plug after installing the drum several times.
    But that style plug is so much easier to re align that it would be on a blind hook style plug on a CVA.
    Last edited by LAGS; 10-02-2023 at 11:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @Joe.
    The Traditions Crockett .32 has a breech plug that is a patent style and not a nipple drum like the CVA's that threads into the plug .
    I had no reason to pull the breech plug on my Crockett , but would think it was exactly like the TC breech plugs.
    I have a Pedersolli .32 flinter kit that I need to build.
    But now Lead Chucker got me thinking that I could also buy a .36 cal or even .45 barrel for that kit from Pedersolli before I start building that kit.
    That way I can make that rifle with Two different barrels.
    When I bought a Lyman GPR kit.
    I also ordered a second barrel with the Hunting barrel twist.
    That rifle too will be built so the two barrels will be universally fit so they can be easily switched out perfectly.
    Lead Chucker also has a Pedersolli Cub like mine in .32.
    Getting a larger caliber barrel for that rifle would also be an option for him.
    I also have TC Hawken and Renegade rifles that I have several barrels that I can swap out the barrels to different calibers or barrel twists .
    That pistol that I just posted the build about has a flinter style breech plug and a nipple drum that I installed.
    I have pulled the breech plug after installing the drum several times.
    But that style plug is so much easier to re align that it would be on a blind hook style plug on a CVA.
    ahh I thought CVA morphed into Traditions wrong call eh!
    I have a couple CVA barrels I used to switch (three actually) but over the years I found some wood and only got one spare now
    Early days I really wanted a 54 (dunno why now but I did)
    I called a dealer who I believe bought a big run of factory seconds from the Dikar factory, he had a couple of 54 CVA/Dikar barrels $50 bucks each "yep they mine!" - ok now what ya gonna put em on? ends up I bought a "Missouri" kit - I think was about $130 at the time - black plastic coated junk metal fittings and a gosh awful stock that used to belt my cheek something ferocious (did the recoil figures a while back on a 54 round ball over 120 grains of FF - the gun weighed under 7 pounds - no wonder it hurt!!!) but that thing shot really well. . Anyway somewhere along the way I came across a ruined ML that someone had built on a decent piece of "Brazilian Walnut" - lock and inlet was pretty rough and the 45cal barrel rotted.
    To fix the inletting I made a new lock plate using CVA internals and made the plate bigger enough to cover the old inlet then recut it. This is one of the stocks I bent using the hot oil method - it worked well on this wood - the ordinary beechwood CVA stock not so well - I think you might have to steam that stuff to get it to move much. Also along the way I came across a CVA fronteir stock and some hardware and thats where the 50 cal missouri barrel sits, That old barrel has done a heap of work, its my go to club gun - been neglected once and rejuvenated - if you put a decent light down it you would not be a buyer but still shoots better than I can do offhand.
    I have a nice little flintlock half built around a 32 inch CVA Kentucky barrel - davis single set trigger and L & R lock with proper stirrup and roller frizzen - a nice curly maple one piece stock
    nearly all my CVA stuff has been 87 serial numbered (1987 make) bought through the 1990's and the Kentucky kit NIB about 2005

Called Hoyte the last couple days trying to catch him. His answering machine said he would be out of the shop till next Wednesday. I got a 32 Crocket off gunbroker and waiting for it to be sent out. Got it for around $370.00 pluss shipping. I didnt think that was too bad. Pics look good so once i get it and shoot it i will decide pending if Hoyte can do it make it a 36 and mabe shorten the barrel cut the dove tail for the sight and give it a 1 in 30 twist.

This black powder stuff is too much its like drugs you cant get enough of it. Well not sure about drugs not into that but BP is an addiction in a good way. I think i might just make some more powder and caps this weekend. Maybe i will cast some more balls or cut up some old bed sheets for cleaning patches make more patch lube I can go on and on. SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE!

Boolit Master
    When I got the Crockett kit to build for my wife.
    I too thought about shortening the barrel a little bit.
    I may still do that after she shoots it and thinks it will be better for her.
    I did do some other things like change the ramrod thimbles from steel to brass and made a wood ramrod to replace the aluminum factory one.
    Plus like you saw in the pictures I sent you, I installed a brass patch box and brass side lock plate that I will have engraved , maybe with her name.
    But this rifle looks so good , she wants to display it on the wall.
    The house I bought a couple years ago doesn't have a fireplace like my last house did.
    That was a nice place to display some of my rifles.
    I hope my wife doesn't want me to build a fireplace in this newer house.
    I just have too many projects going on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    This black powder stuff is too much its like drugs you cant get enough of it. Well not sure about drugs not into that but BP is an addiction in a good way. I think i might just make some more powder and caps this weekend. Maybe i will cast some more balls or cut up some old bed sheets for cleaning patches make more patch lube I can go on and on. SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE!
    If you gonna hack the barrel on that Crockett you DO need help !!!!!! and unless the bore is rotten you dont need Hoyt either
    Get ye some .32 cal round ball and shoot that thing - a lot - it will be a dandy little offhand gun - I guarantee if you cut it short you will not do as well with it

list price for the kit I just saw at $530 some (proly an old price) you did ok

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If you gonna hack the barrel on that Crockett you DO need help !!!!!! and unless the bore is rotten you dont need Hoyt either
    Get ye some .32 cal round ball and shoot that thing - a lot - it will be a dandy little offhand gun - I guarantee if you cut it short you will not do as well with it

list price for the kit I just saw at $530 some (proly an old price) you did ok
    What if you wanted a 36 with a faster twist? A 36 isn't a lot bigger than a 32 but might be more user friendly. I have shot my 32 flint a lot and it is more work than a 50 to shoot but still a lot of fun. You just have to have a regiment when you shoot it and dont deviate from that. When i ordered my 32 Persails cub i had a choice between the two and kind of wish i would have got the 36. Prices now adays im glad that i have what i have. I got the 32 cub deluxe for $600.00 from Dixie gun works on sale and thought that was a good deal especially being a flint lock. Getting the Crockett 32 for $371.00 and some change and maybe sending it off to get what i want might work for me. I like the 32 but that little ball is a learning curve and when i get older down the road a 36 might be easier to work with. As far as hacking the barrel I like a shorter barrel and i wouldn't do in my self. I know you might sacrifice some velocity but when your shooting at 25 yards not worried. I just hope this gun is what they say it is.
    Last edited by lead chucker; 10-07-2023 at 05:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    What if you wanted a 36 with a faster twist? A 36 isn't a lot bigger than a 32 but might be more user friendly. I have shot my 32 flint a lot and it is more work than a 50 to shoot but still a lot of fun. You just have to have a regiment when you shoot it and dont deviate from that. When i ordered my 32 Persails cub i had a choice between the two and kind of wish i would have got the 36. Prices now adays im glad that i have what i have. I got the 32 cub deluxe for $600.00 from Dixie gun works on sale and thought that was a good deal especially being a flint lock. Getting the Crockett 32 for $371.00 and some change and maybe sending it off to get what i want might work for me. I like the 32 but that little ball is a learning curve and when i get older down the road a 36 might be easier to work with. As far as hacking the barrel I like a shorter barrel and i wouldn't do in my self. I know you might sacrifice some velocity but when your shooting at 25 yards not worried. I just hope this gun is what they say it is.
    36 yeah maybe ................I have a 32 - dont find it any more of an issue to load and shoot than any others - more fiddly to clean but only cuz its a full wood - cant yank the barrel off
    faster twist = slug gun ----nah dont like em
    if you bore it will lighten it some ----33.5 inch will be a sweet unit to shoot offhand - you will definitely shoot better with it -those old timers liked em long for good reason (werent all about extra velocity from slow powder)
    curious what it is about shorter that you like ?

A shorter barrel is easier for me in the woods and tend to be lighter. I like a short compact rifle. Dont get me wrong i love my Thompson center and great planes rifle, just wouldn't like to have to pack them around all day. Maybe 20 years ago but not now. Sucks getting older. The Crockett from what i under stand comes in at around 6.75 pounds which isn't too bad.

Boolit Master
    Holding the Crockett rifle that I built my wife.
    The only thing that I can see that shortening the barrel will do.
    It will make it a Quicker rifle to snap up to your shoulder like if you were hunting rabbits on the run.
    The balance of the rifle is just a tiny front heavy.
    But the rifle is so light , and the shape of the stock makes it very easy to line up the sights when shooting.
    I probably will leave this barrel long.
    But if I come across a spare barrel for sale , I might buy it and cut it shorter.
    And if the barrel I buy is used and has a bad bore.
    I might get it rebored to maybe .36 or .40 caliber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast