Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Chevrolet Colorado Code ?

Boolit Master

Chevrolet Colorado Code ?

Yesterday as I drove , I noticed my Colorado was missing or running rough every once in a while
    The check engine light came on
    As I was 1/2 mile from the shop that I have had service done
    I pulled in and they hooked up a code reader

Running rough and having the check engine light came on 1 time before a few days ago just as I pulled into my driveway
    But the next day the check engine light was off and the truck ran perfect for the few miles I drove
    The next time I drove the truck was yesterday

I was able to see him write down a code

P230Y

I looked up codes online and got a mixed mess
    But never saw P230Y , just P230

The Tec told me maybe a coil or plug
    But that isn't what I saw when I looked online

What would P230 or P230Y problem be ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy

Chevrolet Colorado Code ?

So it’s usually 4 numbers

P is powertrain
    0 is generic
    2 is system, in this case fuel.
    30 indicates fuel pump, Primary circuit.

Idk what the Y is.
    And having a 2 where the 0(generic) or (1 manufacturer specific) makes no sense.

It’s been a few years so tech may have surpassed me

I suspect it’s a standard P0230 that may just be pending. As it checks for other faults. And it tripped the light earlier then usually because it knows the engines suffering. Or it’s a non- primary circuit fault possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

230 points to the fuel pump.
    Not getting power from a too low battery voltage in a relay, bad connection, maybe the pump going out.

When I have something that critical start acting goofy, if the mileage on the component is pretty high,
    it isn't crazy expensive, and not a hard project, I go ahead and change the item.

I know people get hundreds of thousands of miles from a fuel pump......
    After having a few burn out- I personally don't trust them past about 80-90,000 miles and change them anyway.

Sure, I've pulled off more than one good part and put on a new one.
    But it still has worked out way cheaper than taking it to a dealer--- for the problems I've had.
    And so far, I never had to sit in a flat bed wrecker as they took me home...

If it's one plug or coil, that's pretty easy to find/isolate by getting one new one, and move it around until it stops.
    Depending on the code reader and if the vehicle 'cooperates', it'll sometimes tell you which cylinder is acting up.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-30-2023 at 09:57 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I am going assume the code starts with P230 and has another number behind the 0. If so, it is related to an ignition system problem. The last number will give further diagnostic information. Do not recommend driving it if the engine is misfiring, it can cause further damage. Take it to a trusted shop for further testing and repair.

Boolit Bub
    Go to about any auto parts store and have them run the code and show it to you. It is free. Or buy a code reader, they are not expensive and you will use it more than you think. Much cheaper than guessing the fix.

Farmer 66

Boolit Master

Thanks

I ask the Tec and "HE" said it was OK to drive

I will drive the car to be safe

The truck has 31K miles

Also I forgot to say that it only seems to have the problem sometimes
    I ask when I started the truck and didn't see the check engine light , he said he cleared the code
    As I had a drive of 20+ miles to get home
    In the 20+ miles I didn't seem to feel any misfires

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

31K? That's still new.

Whatever the hick-up is, it should be a warranty call.
    You shouldn't even have to open the hood for this one.

All my life, all my vehicles had over 100,000 miles, needed a paint job, had a blown engine when I got it,
    or had been wrecked. Sometimes,,,, three out of the four.

So I just think everyone's car problem is on some older vehicle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have had a 98 and 03 Silverado's; fuel pump failures around/past 100,000. Fuel pump was/is in the fuel tank on both. Not complaining, I did buy a another, 2013 Silverado, replacing fuel pump in gas tank is a bit of work. 2013 not near 100,000 - I retired, stopped commuting.

Boolit Master

Was it wet at the time of the issue? I have had some odd problems from water/wet wires . As others have told you this was my results as well the mechanic knowing there are 4 numbers probably just wrote the three that mattered . The computer I have does not do current vehicles it does diagnose my 2000 F-350 based motor home . I forget the last year those codes were used as cars got more challenging to figure out ! I started working with "codes" with my 1985 Olds Delta 88 when dealer or mechanic could not find chugging issue at highway speed . Turned out it was bad sparkplug wires I found that by opening the hood at night! The missed spark would make the computer read the engine was running rich so it would lean the engine out this would repeat and the car chugged or surged at highway speed from it . In 1990 my research came real handy at work GM truck & Coach when we started using the same computer on P-4 platform which was the UPS truck frame . I got to spend some time teaching the engineers because of the trouble I had with my car . And the codes can throw you off too for instance the old code 13 was bad oxygen sensor this was a common error at the end of the line but the real issue can also be a low engine ideal speed .

What the P0230 code means
    P0230 is a generic OBD-II code which indicates that the fuel pump primary circuit has a malfunction of the vehicle power to the fuel pump when it is commanded on or off

What causes the P0230 code?
    The engine control module (ECM) detects the primary fuel pump circuit voltage as below specifications from the fuel pump relay to the ECM

The fuel pump relay main power supply could be low from a blown fuel pump fuse or fusible link, or from a shorted fuel pump or circuit

What are the symptoms of the P0230 code?
    The Check Engine Light will be illuminated

The fuel pump may become inoperative if the fuel pump and relay is bad

The engine may not start from a lack of fuel pump operation

How does a mechanic diagnose the P0230 code?
    Scans codes and documents the freeze frame data in order to verify the problem

Clears the DTC codes to verify whether the concern comes back

Checks the fuel pump fuse or fusible link to see if it is blown

Tests voltage to the fuel pump relay primary circuit to be battery voltage

Tests fuel pump relay primary circuit resistance for an open circuit

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0230 code
    Follow these simple guidelines to prevent misdiagnosis:

Verify that the battery voltage is within specifications and connections are good

Check the electrical connections at the fuel pump relay for overheating from a fuel pump drawing too much power and overheating the circuit

How serious is the P0230 code?
    The fuel pump primary circuit powers the fuel pump relay and can cause a no start

A low battery voltage can trigger the code if the voltage falls below a specified level

The fuel pump may be drawing too much power and cause the low voltage condition

What repairs can fix the P0230 code?
    Repairing or replacing the fuel pump fuse or fusible link, and replacing the fuel pump
    Replacing the fuel pump relay
    Replacing the fuel pump only
    Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0230 code
    Code P0230 is triggered by low voltage in the main power circuit of the fuel pump relay. The ECM monitors this voltage to see if it falls below a specified voltage.

If codes P0231 or P0232 are present, then follow the pinpoint tests for these codes first to narrow down the failure on the secondary side of the fuel pump circuit.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    May seem off-subject but, fuel cap on tight? Had mine replaced after they checked it for leaks.
    Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    If it is a interment code it could be weather related = bad coil

if it is running good late one night, in the dark with it running try misting the coils/ wires with a spray bottle with water ( very fine mist)

if you see a coil/ wire arc and it starts running rough you found it

found more than one bad coil / wire that way

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    31K? That's still new.

Whatever the hick-up is, it should be a warranty call.
    You shouldn't even have to open the hood for this one.

All my life, all my vehicles had over 100,000 miles, needed a paint job, had a blown engine when I got it,
    or had been wrecked. Sometimes,,,, three out of the four.

So I just think everyone's car problem is on some older vehicle.