Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester 1894 Reloading Tool Question

Boolit Mold

Question Winchester 1894 Reloading Tool Question

I was looking to get lyman 310 38-55 dies, to go with my 38-40 dies. But I saw the winchester 1894 reloading tool, which would better match my winchester 1894 made in 1898. My question is, do I need to use the original winchester bullets from the bullet molds to use this tool? Or can I use other bullets such as .379 or .380 powder coated bullets? I understand these tools were meant to be used with black powder. I plan to use a bulkier rifle powder, like RL7, 3031, or 4198, from what I have read.
    Thank you.

Moderator Emeritus

I have several "antique" rifle-complementing bullet tools of similar vintage as yours made by Ideal (three different versions), Marlin, and two by Winchester. I can NOT speak re powder-coated bullets, as I do not powder-coat -- but one feature none of the tools I have offer is any variation of sizing, complementing whatever means of lub one may wish to try. For my .38WCF and .38-55s both (I have a 1894 .38-55 which was made in 1898) -- I use plain-Jane cast bullets by Ideal, Lyman, RCBS, and Redding/Saeco, and they're sized and lub'd in a Lyman 450. For "kicks" I use the antique tool for all else.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have a similar bullet nose shape and load the cartridge to the same overall length, that part of your question will probably be a yes. The depriming spud and the little bump on the end of the die will determine how large or small the bullet diameter can be to start into the case mouth. Bottom line: this tool is designed tor one case with one bullet. Depart significantly from this combination at your own risk!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If you have a similar bullet nose shape and load the cartridge to the same overall length, that part of your question will probably be a yes. The depriming spud and the little bump on the end of the die will determine how large or small the bullet diameter can be to start into the case mouth. Bottom line: this tool is designed tor one case with one bullet. Depart significantly from this combination at your own risk!
    Froggie
    Green Frog kind of sparked an "I should've wrote" re my post . Yes -- there are a zillion or so bullets out there which may be loaded and shot out of your lever. I failed to write (sorry!) that the ones I have used are all of the same (+/- a few thousandths) top to bottom measurement as the bullet size in the loading tool. Froggie's "Depart significantly from this combination at your own risk!" should not be taken lightly -- e.g., a longer bullet seated to same COAL may (most likely) radically increase pressures! My apologies for not specifying the "other" bullets need be the same top-to-bottom height as that in your tool.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    1894's size and crimp in one operation. You may be able to work up a spacer for a bullet that is shorter than the one the tool was designed for. Longer bullets will seat deeper than they were designed to be. I've seen an 1894 that had an after market adjustable seater punch installed. 30-06 caliber.
    1894's were made in 38-55, but don't think they came in 38-40. Winchester made another design loading tool for pistol calibers. Either 1880, or an 1891. The 1880 may be the easiest to find. They look a bit like a double wide, iron tong tool.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Nose length and crimp groove. Use the Winchester bullet with the Winchester tool, that is what it is designed for. Same with the early Marlin and Ideal tools with the die built into the handle. All were designed for one specific style of bullet nose with a crimp groove location to match. Wrong shape nose or too long or short of length in front of the groove and it's in the wrong location. The old Ideal and Lyman manuals list the correct bullet for the tool in question. If I was gonna buy a tool to load the 38-55 I would not buy one of the old tools unless I already had the correct mold and wanted to shoot that particular bullet. Best bet is a set of 310 dies and a steel .30 WCF / .30-30 handle. A simple seating stem change lets you use whichever bullet design you want .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 10-01-2023 at 05:56 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!