Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm in a 6.5 dilemma

Boolit Master

I'm in a 6.5 dilemma

I have an urge to buy another rifle and cost is a factor. My plan to finance this project is to sell a couple rarely used rifles to which I'm not very attached and it's my justification to Mrs. Maineboy "I'm selling two and only buying one." I am set up with 6.5 bullet molds, reloading dies, and an abundance of 6.5x55 brass of various brands and I think a hunting rifle in that caliber would be a great compliment to my M38 and M96 Swedes. However, my research does not reveal an abundance of factory rifles offered in my preferred caliber especially at price I want to pay. There are, as everyone knows, many options for the 6.5 Creedmoor in every price range. I have a Ruger American in .243 I am very happy with it so one in 6.5 Creedmoor is how I am leaning at this moment, but only because I can't find a low-cost rifle in 6.5x55. I would prefer not to get into reloading for another caliber, but it looks like that's going to be the only option if I can't find a budget Swede.
    Last edited by Maineboy; 09-27-2023 at 03:00 PM.
    Maineboy

Savage,and do a barrel swap would be one way.

Boolit Master
    Bite the bullet, Just get a 6.5 Creed

When you decide, save up, get a part time job, mow a few yards, donate & sell blood--- whatever it takes.

Get what ya really want. I've had buyer's remorse a time or two. I wouldn't wish it onto anyone.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    This would be my approach (actually the way I did it). it gives you the option of barrel profile and length as well.

A Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 can be found and is worth looking for in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Texas by God;5627688]A Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 can be found and is worth looking for in my opinion.

Yes, I've been looking hard at that one, but it's about double the price of a Ruger or Savage. A plus is I wouldn't have to buy reloading brass or dies. Maybe if I sold three guns...
    Maineboy

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Buy the CM or even a 260 Rem rent a 6.5×55 reamer and problem solved .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Pictures of a Ruger MK II. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F943947-16D2-47B2-A2F5-1BB2D6C2570F.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	318351. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3F476B3-7703-40E4-B294-4ECCE34A7DF8.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	318352. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDA6D9E0-A90C-4483-B2A3-4CC02E9494DC.jpeg 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	318353

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Pictures of a Ruger MK II. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F943947-16D2-47B2-A2F5-1BB2D6C2570F.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	318351. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3F476B3-7703-40E4-B294-4ECCE34A7DF8.jpeg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	318352. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDA6D9E0-A90C-4483-B2A3-4CC02E9494DC.jpeg 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	318353
    Thank you, nice looking rifle.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Buy the CM or even a 260 Rem rent a 6.5×55 reamer and problem solved .
    I've given that a thought as well but looking at the two cartridges side by side, I don't think that will work due to the body dimensions and the head diameters of each cartridge is different.
    Last edited by Maineboy; 09-27-2023 at 03:02 PM.
    Maineboy

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I totally understand the appeal of less popular cartridges, I'm a big .257 Roberts fan myself. That being said, I love my Remmy 700 6.5 Creedmoor and am planning to get a Savage to go along with it at some point. Unless you actually are itching for a 6.5x55 specifically, I would just go with a Creedmoor and be done with it. The Creedmoor has good genes, the .250 Savage is the parent cartridge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth. I considered a 6.5 X 55 but went with a heavy 308 in a long action instead, still dancing around about it. In a modern action that Swede would really talk to you. Also get the profile and length you want. The Swede would need a long action too.

Boolit Buddy
    Look for an old Howa 1500 in 6.5x55. Wish I'd bought one way back when.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 can be found and is worth looking for in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My lefty Tikka is indeed chambered in 6.5x55. Its incredibly accurate for even with inexpensive hunting ammo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Look for an old Howa 1500 in 6.5x55. Wish I'd bought one way back when.
    My .257 is a 1500 rebarrelled by E.R. Shaw and it is sweet. I wouldn't hesitate to use another one of their barrels.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    I've given that a thought as well but looking at the two cartridges side by side, I don't think that will work due to the body dimensions and the head diameters of each cartridge is different.
    You might get a shoulder line left . I don't think there is as much difference as there appears to be .

The .473/.476 rim is only a big deal in a bolt face like the Rem 700 or Savage where the rim is inside the head and it's cut small/tight . That isn't a problem with the Mauser types .
    Having a larger or same head dia and longer body moves the shoulder forward and generally removes most of the shoulder. The CM is based on a 300 Savage with a 308 shoulder while the 260 has a little taper left and is a necked 308 length . About a 1/10 inch difference. The CM will move the shoulder out past the end of the neck when reamed 55 and the 260 will go a full .250 longer .

I had a Carcano once that gave me such a quandary once there are more production cartridges now that fit the bolt face than there were 7-8 years ago and brass available has tripled for useable rims . So I waited for a barrel blank to come along and figured out what cartridge to put in it . I ended up with a 7×6.8 SPC but when I get tired of that I can use 30 Rem or 35 Rem and ream it for a rimless 7-30 Waters . There's enough body dia and length to remove all of the shoulder. Same situation different rim .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I have a tikka t3 in 6.5x55 and have never regretted it. It shoots very well and will take the higher pressure loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are in an unenviable position. You want a 6.5x55, but the affordable rifles are in 6.5 Creedmore.

I don't think anything will detect the difference in the field, if you use it as a hunting rifle. Probably not as a target rifle either. But in the back of your mind, you will be saying to yourself, "I wish this Creedmore was a Swede."

One thing that I question is if you plan to load to the new rifles' potential, or keep it at sane levels for your Model 96 and 38 Swedish Mausers already in inventory? I'm not a big fan of keeping loads around that may be a bit too energetic for some of the guns at home.

Another option would be to find a bubba'd Model 38 and build it like you want as a scoped hunting rifle. Probably be way cheaper to find any of the factory 6.5x55's, not to mention the budget friendly 6.5 CR.

Or you may get lucky and find one of the few Winchester Model 70's chambered in 6.5x55 at an affordable price.

Good Luck in your search,

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Dies are so cheap (relatively) that paying a premium to get a 6.5x55 in the caliber you already reload for is a minor consideration.

It sounds like money is an issue. If that is the case, you are better off selling those two guns you are not "attached to" and buying components for the guns you already have. Of course, this assumes the new gun is just another "toy" and you have other guns to hunt and play with.

I agree with Winger Ed. If you really want the new toy to be a 6.5x55, do not buy something else. It will become another gun you are "not attached to".

Mk42 has a good point about the safety aspect of loads suitable for a new modern gun and what you currently have. Looks like an 'event' waiting to happen unless you stay with lower pressure loads for the new gun.

If I had the itch for a 6.5, I would get a .260 Rem. or 6.5 CM. The 6.5x55 is a great round but holds no "magic" over the others. One thing for sure, there are a lot more buying options with the current 6.5 CM craze.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast